Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sleeve Cap Puckering

Rathko

New in Town
A question for the tailors among us:

Something I've always thought was the sign of a cheap and poorly made suit coat was puckering in the sleeve cap. I see it a lot on suits in my office building and it always looks ugly. And yet my father-in-law owns several Brioni suits and they all display obvious puckering, which makes me question my disdain.

When is puckering a flaw, and when is it an intentional result of a tailor creating a soft shoulder?

-JAMES

Rathko

New in Town
Then allow me to rephrase - a question for those far more knowledgeable than I about such things (which widens the field immensely, trust me):

When is sleeve cap puckering a flaw, and when is it an intentional result of a tailor creating a soft shoulder?

-JAMES

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
It's a flaw when neither you nor the tailor want it to pucker.

There are a few designs in which the suit has puckered sleeve heads in order to give a more relaxed look though I think in many cases like with the Brioni suits, it can just be thin fabric giving in to the pressures of being a suit.

Here's nice roped shoulder for your viewing pleasure.
t_tt_ts.jpg

Let's see what the tailors say.

iammatt

Familiar Face
Basically what Tomasso said. Anything horizontal is automatically wrong, and vertical puckering depends on intent. Brioni does not, as far as I know, intend to have puckering on their sleeve caps. It is not their way.

iammatt

Familiar Face
Orgetorix said:
Is there a common cause of the horizontal pucker, and can anything be done to fix it?

Usually it comes from too tight a shoulder or sleeves that are hung wrong for the wearer. The first isn't fixable, the second is, but it isn't easy to do.

manton

A-List Customer
iammatt said:
the second is, but it isn't easy to do.
It's not hard, it's just a PitA. You have to take the sleeve completely out and reset it. Tailors don't like do-overs.

I like that brown chalk stripe. :rolleyes:

iammatt

Familiar Face
manton said:
It's not hard, it's just a PitA. You have to take the sleeve completely out and reset it. Tailors don't like do-overs.

I like that brown chalk stripe. :rolleyes:

I like it too, even though it is gray. :)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Puckering

I had a couple of suits from an Italian bespoke tailor and this happened and my alterations guy found it near impossible to rectify the problem. But how many expensive suits have this problem....many from my observation.[huh] [huh]

Jovan

Suspended
cookie: It's probably the way it was made, as pointed out by Tomasso above. The Italians love drape and soft construction. A few suits from the '30s or '40s have a LOT more drape on the shoulders -- and this is in the catalogue illustrations!

manton

A-List Customer
Orgetorix said:
What changes in the re-set? The sleeve is put back in at a different angle?
Yep, that's it, if indeed incorrect pitch is the source of the problem.

However, the horizontal ripple on that checked coat is not caused by incorrect pitch. The shoulders on that coat are too narrow.

Incorrect pitch is most likely to show up in the front or back of the sleeve. If you want to know what it looks like, put on a coat whose sleeves fall cleanly on you, stand with your side facing a mirror, move your arms either forward or back, and see what happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana