Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sniping....?

Decodence

A-List Customer
HarvEX here. You had to buy a license after the trial period, but it was by far the most versatile product I had found, so the $10-20 for the license was a necessary evil.

Mirax H

New in Town
I use esnipe- my boyfriend introduced me to it. It is extremely helpful when you REALLY want an item and don't want to miss out on it. I tend to forget about auctions or am just not available when it ends. And as others have mentioned, you don't have to bid till the very last so it keeps an item from going up so much.

One word of caution- I learned this the hard way. I collect screen used movie costumes and was bidding on a dress from Braveheart. I think I wound up being the only one to bid. Starting price was very low but I really wanted it and set my high price for $800. There was a reserve on the item. I "thought" that esnipe would only bid the minimum amount and would outbid any other bids. However, that isn't exactly correct. If there is a reserve, it will bid your money to reach the reserve, even if it is not the minimum bid available. It bids to win, if that makes sense. In otherwords, I thought it would just make the minimum bid to outbid anyone else, which I was figuring it was going to bid about $200( I think that was the minimum bid) I would have been the high bidder but would not have beat the reserve and then I could have written the seller and tried to negotiate a price from there. But instead, it bid up to her reserve, even though no one else bid on the item. I got my dress, but was hoping to pay less since no one else had bid and there was no one else interested. So, just a word of caution.

roselily

One of the Regulars
I had no idea such services existed! I generally wait until the last day of an auction to bid because I'm tired of bidding on the first day then getting sniped myself!

I must add- I despise reserves! Just list the item at the lowest price you're willing to let it go for, and don't make me guess that even though the starting bid is .99, you really want $300. :rage:

lyburnum

Practically Family
Mirax H said:
I use esnipe- my boyfriend introduced me to it. It is extremely helpful when you REALLY want an item and don't want to miss out on it. I tend to forget about auctions or am just not available when it ends. And as others have mentioned, you don't have to bid till the very last so it keeps an item from going up so much.

One word of caution- I learned this the hard way. I collect screen used movie costumes and was bidding on a dress from Braveheart. I think I wound up being the only one to bid. Starting price was very low but I really wanted it and set my high price for $800. There was a reserve on the item. I "thought" that esnipe would only bid the minimum amount and would outbid any other bids. However, that isn't exactly correct. If there is a reserve, it will bid your money to reach the reserve, even if it is not the minimum bid available. It bids to win, if that makes sense. In otherwords, I thought it would just make the minimum bid to outbid anyone else, which I was figuring it was going to bid about $200( I think that was the minimum bid) I would have been the high bidder but would not have beat the reserve and then I could have written the seller and tried to negotiate a price from there. But instead, it bid up to her reserve, even though no one else bid on the item. I got my dress, but was hoping to pay less since no one else had bid and there was no one else interested. So, just a word of caution.

Yeah I didn't realise that either. I recently won a dress for more than I'd expected to pay, even though there were nearly no other bids, because of the combination of esnipe and reserves. Don't really think I'll use esnipe on a reserve item again.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I so agree!

roselily said:
I had no idea such services existed! I generally wait until the last day of an auction to bid because I'm tired of bidding on the first day then getting sniped myself!

I must add- I despise reserves! Just list the item at the lowest price you're willing to let it go for, and don't make me guess that even though the starting bid is .99, you really want $300. :rage:

Reserves are just there to make people look at the item. If I see a reserve, I usually don't even bother to bid until I see if someone else tops it first! Then I snipe.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
I've come to the conclusion that I have to start using it. The old way simply does not work anymore. Sniping has that air of "if you can't beat them, join them" to me though. I really just don't enjoy ebay anymore.

I feel you. the sniping thing has made it to where I WONT shop on ebay unless I desperately need said item.
I think its unfair and makes it hard to play by the rules. IMO.
I hate the fact that I wait patiently, and I bid at the last minute, and someone who is not even at their computer at that time wins it because they have a program to do it for them. takes the sport and or fun out of it [huh]

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
exquisitebones said:
I feel you. the sniping thing has made it to where I WONT shop on ebay unless I desperately need said item.
I hate the fact that I wait patiently, and I bid at the last minute, and someone who is not even at their computer at that time wins it because they have a program to do it for them. takes the sport and or fun out of it [huh]

eb, i'm with you. ebay used to be so fun for me! i've never used a sniping program, but probably would if i was just *that* desperate for a particular item - it seems like you have to these days if you're an avid ebay user.

Mojito

One Too Many
I don't really have much of a choice other than to use a sniping program - the time zones are such that I can't be present for the end of most auctions (I'm either asleep or at work, where I can't log on to eBay), and I won't put in my bid any earlier because of "creeping" incremental bids pushing the price up, and people who exceed what they would pay in a rational frame of mind. I'm very familiar with the latter, because I used to do it myself - would bid my max, then get so worked up about the piece if I was outbid that I'd bid more.

This way, I pay my max - as, presumably, do the other snipers and bidders - and there is no time for second thoughts or indulging in bid fever. If I lose, then it's all over and no time to second-guess myself or lose my head.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
exquisitebones said:
I hate the fact that I wait patiently, and I bid at the last minute, and someone who is not even at their computer at that time wins

ShooShooBaby said:
eb, i'm with you. ebay used to be so fun for me! i've never used a sniping program, but probably would if i was just *that* desperate for a particular item - it seems like you have to these days if you're an avid ebay user.

OK, maybe I'm weird, but to me, ebay is not about fun... it's about finding stuff I want or need at prices I'm willing to pay. Sniping is not unfair at all. Just because someone is putting their bid in at the last minute doesn't mean they might not still beat you even if they'd put in their bid on day one - it just means they're willing to pay more than you. Winning has nothing to do with being there or not to put your bid in - whether or not you're there entering your bid yourself, if your amount isn't high enough, it just isn't high enough and that's all there is to it.

For the record, I've lost a lot of stuff I've tried sniping because my bid wasn't high enough. All it means is that I didn't have to risk putting the time and effort into making sure I was at my computer when the thing ended at 3am. It also means that I didn't drive the price up prematurely by entering my bid before the very end of the auction. In fact, most auctions I've sniped and won have stayed at relatively low prices.

You should maybe try a sniping program before you knock it so hard. You'll probably like it and be less bitter about losing items you want.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I'm new (three days) to e-bay, but was happy to find several vintage items in the right size with details that made me love them. I am a student and do not have a lot of money, so I can't lose me head.
Ladies please explain to me What is the difference between entering a hidden maximum bid (an e-bay service) and having a sniper program?
I entered a hidden max bid (not very high, but reasonable I thought) on my items. There was a dream blouse that would have looked perfect on me that nobody (not even a hidden bidder) bid on. Then someone sniped it last night when I was in bed for 1$ more than my max bid!:( I feel so disappointed. I'm certain I will lose everything I've bid on. I thought it was possible to find a bargain on e-bay if you were lucky and not many people with the same size/taste were online the same day, I guess I was mistaken. I might as well give up since I don't have a fat wallet, just good taste and gut feeling:cry:

miss_elise

Practically Family
in theory, if you put you maximum bid in ebay, someone else can sit there and just keep bidding until they outbid you, and then you lose...

if you leave it to the last minute, then they don't get this chance...

i kinda think sniping defeats the purpose of an auction...but then i'm basing that on my experience of live auctions...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If you set your Max bid high enough, then sniping is irrelevant.

Sniping is for people who want that item, but dont what to set a real high bit, in fear that it may go up to that price. But with sniping, the chance of a swoop in and win at a 'lower' price is feasible.

Never use it. I just set a max bid near the last few min of the auction that I know IS high, but something that I am willing to pay.

LD

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I started sniping about a month ago now and just wonder why it has taken me so long?

It takes all of the stress out of the situation, no more sitting up untill 2am (which is difficult when you have to get up at 6.30am for work the next day and is also when an awful lot of the auctions I watch seem to end!), no more hitting the refresh button, no more palpitations, or cursing the computer,.......no more Ebay rage!!!lol

I bid the same amount that I would if I were sat at the computer and if I win, I win.....if I don't then tough luck!

Mary

Practically Family
I haven't baught anything on ebay yet. Thanks for explaning how it works.
But I'm still a little confused.

Let say I want a dress. And the seller wants 20 dollars. Nobody wants it (Very likely!;) ) I'm willing to pay 50 dollars. What should I do?

If I use the snipeprogram will it force me to pay 50 dollars?
Should I use the thing on ebay where you put in your highest amount or would I then bid against myself?
Should I put in a bid on it for 20 dollars and then let the snipeprogram handle it.

I'm very curious!

M

If I want to win something I use it, but I have still been outbid by deeper pockets. But it does eliminate a lot of stress for me too. I have tried several snipers and my favorite is Bidnip. You get free snipes to start that don't expire and then you can just buy what you need as you go. No % of sale fees and if you don't win you don't use a snipe.

Bubbly

New in Town
Oh interesting! I haven't ever heard of this. I think I'm going to check it out! Thanks ladies for all your wonderful advice and information on these programs!

I certainly have lost many a thing to either forgetting when the auction ends or just simply not being around a computer at the time the auction closed to ensure my bid.

This, I do believe, will assist me greatly!

freebird

Practically Family
Mary said:
I haven't baught anything on ebay yet. Thanks for explaning how it works.
But I'm still a little confused.

Let say I want a dress. And the seller wants 20 dollars. Nobody wants it (Very likely!;) ) I'm willing to pay 50 dollars. What should I do?

If I use the snipeprogram will it force me to pay 50 dollars?
Should I use the thing on ebay where you put in your highest amount or would I then bid against myself?
Should I put in a bid on it for 20 dollars and then let the snipeprogram handle it.

I'm very curious!

M

No Ma'am, you would only pay the minimum amount it takes to win it. In your scenario, the opening bid of 20.00 woudl be all you paid, unless someone else decides to also place a bid at the last moment. In that instance, say they bid up to 40.00, and the bid increment is 1.00, you would win at 41.00.

Blondie

Practically Family
I use auctionsniper when i know i won't be home to bid.
I won't bid on anything till the last moment anyway.
I just bid the max i am willing to pay, if i win great and if i don't i know that i didn't get caught up in a bidding war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart