Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Snot Rags?

[B][I]Do you use a "Snot Rag" ?, and what's it’s primary usage? [/I][/B]

• As a Lady I have; "dropped my hanky", to get a man's attention!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Bourbon Guy said:
Do you prefer the permanent press, or the all cotton that need to be ironed?
Vintage Irish linen for me.:)

Shoes407.jpg

For decades my father would visit his ancestral home in Ireland on an annual basis and would stock up on all things linen; Suits, shirts, handkerchiefs, bedding, tableware, etc... After he passed I found over two hundred unused hankies packed away in a drawer. I've barely made a dent in the cache (maybe two dozen) so it looks like my estate will contain some vintage hankies.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I've never warmed up to the idea of wrapping my snot in a rag and sticking it in my pocket. I blow my nose in order to be rid of that. My dad always has a hankie, and I've often seen him use it, but I've never thought I would actually need it. Maybe I'll try it sometime, because I've been disappointed by the tissues I've had to use increasingly lately because of a head cold. Suffice it to say that a moustache may increase the, ah, complexity of blowing one's nose.

Feraud

Bartender
Mankind needs to revert back to the handkerchief to relieve their noses.
Walking down a city street to see a fellow blow his nose into the public space is enough to disgust the most jaded of New Yorkers.

I don't care what a person carries as long as they keep it under wraps.

Maguire

Practically Family
I keep a hanky and may wipe my brow with it, but i'd never blow my nose with it. I wouldn't want people seeing my dirty tissues, so why would i want to put on display a snot covered hanky? Then again i guess thats supposed to be the point of having one right?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Edward said:
THat would certainly get my attention. Depending upon what the books actually were, they may help hold it. ;)

lol Thanks!

I figure that a big pile of books crashing to the floor has the noise as well as the visual. It's more attention grabbing. Plus, as you said, if the gal is lucky, the fellow will help her carry them, and the books themselves are an instant discussion topic.

I think maybe I've thought this out a little too carefully.... lol :eek:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow. Mommy was right. Women DO have wiles! :)

More on topic, one should opt for tissues if one has a cold or something. Pulling out a hanky that is like a potato chip is not generally good form, or a good way to attract girls. hankies are for the occasional surprise sneeze, not the allergy drip assault.

carter

I'll Lock Up
My dad, six uncles and grandfathers (one was a farmer, the other a railroad man) all carried handkerchiefs. The ones they used at work were not the ones they carried to church or social events. These men didn't have just one or two handkerchiefs, they had dozens. They ranged from the ubiquitous red and blue bandana-style to pure white. For them to be without a handkerchief on any occasion was to be underdressed. This thread is starting to make me nostalgic.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
scotrace said:
one should opt for tissues if one has a cold or something. hankies are for the occasional surprise sneeze, not the allergy drip assault.
True, I equip every piece of Winter outerwear I own with one of these:

KleenexPocketPackLarge.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
hankies

Even the pioneers would have been glad to have Puffs with aloe. These germ lockers are nice to remember but now, best for show, safely tucked into the suit or jacket breast pocket, never to be removed for the originally intended purpose. They are the sartorial equivalent of a duck press.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Call me Scarlett

Remember that scene in Gone with the Wind where Rhett says something to Scarlett like, "Never in my life have I seen you with a hankerchief at an momentus occasion of your life" or some such....

That is pretty much me.

vintage68

Practically Family
Bilbo Baggins considered them essential tools, so if it's good for a Baggins it's good enough for me!

J.Press used to offer nice, dark colored, tartan patterned hankies in packages of six. I'm glad I stocked up. The dark colors were perfect, but alas they've gone to white and white patterns now. Duluth Trading offers a good dark tartan hankie.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I use a handkerchief, some new ones, some vintage ones, some of my husband's (men's are bigger and his are old and nicely softened). I literally cannot blow my nose, I was ill a few years ago and the doctor's wanted to intubate me, but apparently my nose is "malformed", they couldn't get the tube in. They even tried a baby tube, but no go. That explains some things (and here all this time, I just thought it was so tiny and delicate - HAH!)
Aaaaanyway- I carry kleenex and hankies! I prefer the hanky, but I have lots of bloody noses, etc and need kleenex if that happens.
I like hankies, they are pretty and cloth is ever so much nicer than paper.
I remember mom saying, as we went out the door to church, "Did you tie your offering money into the corner of your hanky so you won't loose it?" hahaha

Esme

One of the Regulars
Yes, but a nice hanky is soooo good if you need a washcloth or bandage or to wipe up something that tissues won't handle. If it is too gross you can always bin the hanky. I just got five all cotton men's hankies for $3 at the Reject shoppe. Almost as cheap as kleenex, big enough to use for a headscarf if I need to.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Usually only one for "personal use".....

but I sometimes carry two, the other being used to wipe sunglasses off, dry my hands, offer to a crying lady, etc.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
I could see carrying one for any number of the aforementioned reasons other than blowing my nose-I wouldn't particularly want to return it to my pocket after using it to clear the dancehalls, so to speak,:eek: -so, for that reason, I opt for tissues.

Bourbon Guy said:
Do you prefer the permanent press, or the all cotton that need to be ironed?

All cotton. Starched. I love a stiff handkerchief and it is better at encapsulating whatever you mop up with it without going through.;)
Another use I have not seen is for use when getting into a car with the windows fogged up. I remember my father used his for that time and again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart