Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I Dont Let Any of You Down

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
My wife has asked me if I would attend the funeral of Sister of a Friend. I would rather attend two weddings than one funeral, but, here's my question.. I will wear a black wool suit, white shirt, appropriate tie,......but my hat choices:

Silver Belly Dobbs 40
Light Grey Guererra
Medium Grey Stetson
Moss Stetson Downs
O.D. (?) Borsalino
Any number of browns (Nah I dont think so)
ALL FEDORAS OF COURSE
What is the most appropriate, in your humble opinions. Thanks

If it's just a matter of color, medium grey.

But in any case, I would wear the least obtrusive hat. Some kind of grey with a grey or black suit, or (hypothetically) navy with a navy blue suit.

In this context, a dorky/dweebie little hat that looks silly is as obtrusive as an oversize fedora that suggests a remake of DickTracy. If nothing gets it right, then go hatless. In this world, you'll hardly stand out for being bare-headed.

Sardou

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Gray...

I wore the same color combo to a funeral two years ago. Very somber.

I did not get a chance to change before the after funeral get together/jam session, yeah I know that sounds weird but in my family we celebrate the life of the dearly departed. I play Blues Harmonica and there was no end to the Blues Brothers comments, even though my hat was gray.

Black hat deficiencies

Black on black would be appropo here, consider a black fedora or perhaps a Homburg for the event. If it another hat is not in the offing, then one of the grey ones will be fine.

My sympathies for your loss, it is a tough time as we grieve not for the departed but actually over the great hole that appears in our lives when they are gone. Our greatest regrets tend to be not what we've done, but what we didn't do.

Many believe in an afterlife and for some the knowledge of a better world to come. May that bring the solice of Grace, Mercy and Peace that comes from above.

Life should be as much as possible a celebration, and a life well celebrated, can be celibrated even at the end. Let the celebration begin

Sincere condolences,

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I recently attended the funeral of a dear friend of mine who's life was cut short.

I went in a grey with a respectable tie and a grey hat with a black ribbon.

If I had a black suit I would have worn it out of traditional respect, though I would probably still have gone with the grey hat.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Ask not for whom the Bell Tolls!

PS, We just laid to rest my brother in law. My choice was a black suit white shirt black tie with faint purple and grey paisley and a black on black Resistol Lawton with a 2" brim. Conservative and tastefull.

My sympathy for your loss.

Doh!

One Too Many
Sardou said:
In this context, a dorky/dweebie little hat that looks silly is as obtrusive as an oversize fedora that suggests a remake of DickTracy. If nothing gets it right, then go hatless. In this world, you'll hardly stand out for being bare-headed.

Sardou

And just what, may I ask, is wrong with looking like Dick Tracy????

(I don't like using emoticons so yes, that was sarcasm)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy