Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
In the Era, charcoal chewing gum was a thing.

f463cc48ee4bb5e0564cf58b5e294939.jpg

The idea being the abrasiveness of the charcoal would scrape off the guck on your teeth. No voodoo health claims -- just a gimmicky way to keep your mouth fresh between stints of brushing your teeth with powdered chalk.
My stepfather's father had about half a case of that stuff. As I recall, it was nastier than it sounds (that it was probably 20+ years old at the time might also have been a factor). It tasted like . . . nothing, any mintiness or other flavor was gone. It stuck to your teeth, leaving black streaks, and it turned your saliva black.

Being a typical boy, I loved it. I'd occasionally give a piece to a friend, just to drive them crazy. The best times came when we were pitching pennies. One of the older kids would spit, demonstrating his prowess at something we all aspired to for some reason, and showing off that he was dipping snuff. I'd casually spit in the same direction, one-upping him by leaving marks that looked like black paint. The status games of second grade. . . so much more satisfying than "who has the newest Beamer".

Cubs need another starting rotation southpaw before trade deadline. And only four position players regularly hit.

Yankees will not make it though the playoffs without an additional reliable starter. The have the bullpen; although, even though the numbers don't show it, Chapman is not as dominating as he has been, which could also be an issue in the playoffs.

None of the teams are good enough. The entire AL East will finish tied for fourth.

No snark, I am surprised at the Sox this year and have expected them to "get it together" all season. The talents there, what's going on?

While not as extreme as you on the AL East, I think the Yankees think they are better than they are as their hitting has covered for a weak starting pitcher lineup, which it won't be able to do in the playoffs.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not really surprised how the Sox are doing this year -- they haven't repeated a pennant-winning year since 1915-16. Whenever they win, they end up folding the year after -- post-championship hangover or something. They made no moves of any consequence over the winter, and between injuries and overall mediocre pitching and hitting they just came into the season like they were staggering out of bed after a long drunk. They especially stink at home, which is very unusual and strange for a Sox team.

I keep hearing that Jackie Bradley is trade-deadline bait, and if they do that, my outrage will be endless. He's my favorite of the current Sox, despite his Nerf bat, and you desperately need at least one world-class defensive outfielder in the lineup at Fenway. Every time I've seen him play in person, he's made at least one spectacular catch -- and I'm expecting no less when we go down this year.

I'm not really surprised how the Sox are doing this year -- they haven't repeated a pennant-winning year since 1915-16. Whenever they win, they end up folding the year after -- post-championship hangover or something. They made no moves of any consequence over the winter, and between injuries and overall mediocre pitching and hitting they just came into the season like they were staggering out of bed after a long drunk. They especially stink at home, which is very unusual and strange for a Sox team.

I keep hearing that Jackie Bradley is trade-deadline bait, and if they do that, my outrage will be endless. He's my favorite of the current Sox, despite his Nerf bat, and you desperately need at least one world-class defensive outfielder in the lineup at Fenway. Every time I've seen him play in person, he's made at least one spectacular catch -- and I'm expecting no less when we go down this year.

Well, they certainly played a wee bit better last night :).

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yankees will not make it though the playoffs without an additional reliable starter. The have the bullpen; although, even though the numbers don't show it, Chapman is not as dominating as he has been, which could also be an issue in the playoffs.

Chapman was a ba***rd for the Cubs '16 sweet sixteen Series; the infamous last game Seventh Inning et al
and the game before bring to mind a mismanaged mound and bullpen.
Ian Happ, recently called out of Iowa cornfields and who should have been sent down last year, is an easy out susceptible to high heat. Fanning the strike zone top in the majors and not hitting all that better below baseball
gives him the weekend or a week to prove production or he's gone.
Adian Russell has been banished down since he has his head stuck up his ass
so far he cannot see daylight or hear rhyme or reason, much less read signals
or play a fast diamond.
Theo has until Wednesday to gun for a known bat, infielder, or another
southpaw but time is quickly running out for Chicago.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch