Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Brown's is very good, edges KFC a bit, and the fries seal the deal.

Agreed. And Church's is another that serves a decent fried chicken product. Have to get into the city to sample Harold's but it rates positive with me as well.

Can't stand Popeye's. The spices are too over the top. Sometimes you can take a food item that is good in itself and foul it up by getting too "creative." Ruth's Chris slathering a ton of butter atop a perfectly good steak and turning it into a grease saturated mess, as well as just about anything served at the California Pizza Company, drive home that point in my mind. If it ain't broke, don't fix it... and all that.

Sometimes when the stars at night are aligned in a particular order, I will indulge with a basket of spicy Popeyes and side order of rice...
...Can't stand Popeye's. The spices are too over the top...
Interesting. They finally opened a Popeyes in my home town last year, and the difference in flavor between their "mild" and "spicy" chicken is barely noticeable. o_O

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
There is one Popeyes in my state -- on the northbound side of the Maine Turnpike at the Kennebunk rest stop, and I would drive to New Hampshire and back just to get a spicy chicken po-boy. If they ever open another one in Maine it had better be here.

Yodels, Yankee Doodles, Funny Bones, Ring Dings, Devil Dogs. Drake's Cakes are a basic food group in the Northeast.

I would not have taken in sufficient calories to have grown up without those specific foods and Drake's coffee cake (of which I've consume the tonnage equivalent of several Mack trucks, I'm sure). My default "breakfast" for four years of college was a can of diet coke (don't judge me) and a package containing two Drakes coffee cakes all of which came out of various vending machines throughout the campus. The crumb top on those cakes is outstanding.

Also, I remember Drake's pies - which came in a kinda wax package containing two small square pies with a wonderfully sweet coating over the pie crust. They had enough sugar and fat in them to jolt a dead person back to life for a few minutes. I have nothing but happy memories of Drake's products.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You have missed out on one of life's great experiences -- sitting up all night to do homework fueled by an entire box of Devil Dogs. Plus they came with cut-out baseball cards on the bottom of the box!

o-tg-devil.jpg

There is one Popeyes in my state -- on the northbound side of the Maine Turnpike at the Kennebunk rest stop, and I would drive to New Hampshire and back just to get a spicy chicken po-boy. If they ever open another one in Maine it had better be here.

We have a local restaurant, which has now turned into a local franchise chain, called "Frenchy's", which blows Popeye's away, IMHO. And I am not a fan of Cajun or Creole food, in general. They have other things besides chicken...jambalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, etc, but they are most known for their chicken. It is truly Gulf Coast comfort food.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
...people wearing a hat at the table.. .
Nope. This doesn't bother me one bit. After wearing a hat, your hair looks like hell. If you think you look better sitting in public with disheveled hair than with a hat on, you're fooling yourself. I see guys wear hats at the table. Doesn't bother me. I've done it too.
In fact, I used to absolutely HATE hats. Never wore them. When I joined the Army, they broke me of that because various hats are mandatory. Wearing hats in the military has nothing to do with whether you're eating or not, but everything to do with where you are and what's happening at the time (e.g. If you're armed or not). I guess some of that has stayed with me.
I admit to wearing a hat at the table sometimes because I wear hats on "bad hair days". LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, in the South, Moonpies were the snack cake of choice. On a side note, I saw a Goo Goo Cluster in the Tractor Supply the other day, and my wife had never seen or heard of them. I had to buy one because I hadn't had one in like 40 years. It was smaller than I remembered. Not sure if that's because of me or the candy.

Nope. This doesn't bother me one bit. After wearing a hat, your hair looks like hell. If you think you look better sitting in public with disheveled hair than with a hat on, you're fooling yourself. I see guys wear hats at the table. Doesn't bother me. I've done it too.
In fact, I used to absolutely HATE hats. Never wore them. When I joined the Army, they broke me of that because various hats are mandatory. Wearing hats in the military has nothing to do with whether you're eating or not, but everything to do with where you are and what's happening at the time (e.g. If you're armed or not). I guess some of that has stayed with me.
I admit to wearing a hat at the table sometimes because I wear hats on "bad hair days". LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My objection to wearing a hat at the table has zero to do with how one looks or thinks he looks.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
People that are so hateful towards motorcycle riders! Yes there are some jerks riding, but there are far more jerks driving cars and trucks. But only motorcyclist are stereotyped as organ donors who are all going to die prematurely. Really could have lived with out those comments today!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I went into the dealer to ask why my truck is still there two months latter. He said, it needs a gasket for the differential, and they still don't have one. Yes, I told him, give me a sheet of cork and I will make one, and guarantee it wont leek! I know Toyota is giving us the run around. It is amazing how one thing can spiral your life downwards, and there is nothing you can do about it.

I am a bit envious of our friend Stearman in that he has his motorcycles and loves riding.

I maintain my motorcycle endorsement but I haven't owned a bike in at least 20 years. And I doubt I will ever own another. My senses are failing and too many of the four-wheeled vehicle operators are too busy fiddling with their smartphones for me to be entirely comfortable sharing the road with them even when enveloped in a 3,500 pound steel cocoon, let alone out there on a bike.

My cousin's oldest offspring, a fellow in his early 40s, died from injuries he sustained while riding in spring of last year. That was in Wisconsin, where helmets aren't required by law. I'm now in Colorado, which is also a helmet-optional state. I understand the temptation to ride sans helmet, and as one who may well be a candidate for an organ transplant someday, I wouldn't lobby for changing that law. But I hope Stearmsn never gets astride a bike without first putting on his helmet, and I hope that law enforcement cracks down hard on distracted driving.

Last edited:
You have missed out on one of life's great experiences -- sitting up all night to do homework fueled by an entire box of Devil Dogs. Plus they came with cut-out baseball cards on the bottom of the box!
Apparently I misspoke...er, mistyped. Drake's Ring Dings did indeed make their way to the west coast, except here they were made by Hostess and they were (and still are) called Ding Dongs.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I went into the dealer to ask why my truck is still there two months latter. He said, it needs a gasket for the differential, and they still don't have one. Yes, I told him, give me a sheet of cork and I will make one, and guarantee it wont leek! I know Toyota is giving us the run around. It is amazing how one thing can spiral your life downwards, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Obviously you are driving the wrong sort of car. I can order a differential gasket for a 1929 Willys-Knight, a 1919 Paige-Detroit, a 1909 Ford , any Stoddard Dayton or a 1907 Brush Runabout, have them shipped Express Mail, and receive them in two days. TOYOTA cannot get the part to you in two months? This beggars the imagination!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I am a bit envious of our friend Stearman in that he has his motorcycles and loves riding.

I maintain my motorcycle endorsement but I haven't owned a bike in at least 20 years. And I doubt I will ever own another. My senses are failing and too many of the four-wheeled vehicle operators are too busy fiddling with their smartphones for me to be entirely comfortable sharing the road with them even when enveloped in a 3,500 pound steel cocoon, let alone out there on a bike.

My cousin's oldest offspring, a fellow in his early 40s, died from injuries he sustained while riding in spring of last year. That was in Wisconsin, where helmets aren't required by law. I'm now in Colorado, which is also a helmet-optional state. I understand the temptation to ride sans helmet, and as one who may well be a candidate for an organ transplant someday, I wouldn't lobby for changing that law. But I hope Stearmsn never gets astride a bike without first putting on his helmet, and I hope that law enforcement cracks down hard on distracted driving.

Model T Fords are, as you would expect, involved in precious few accidents relative to the number of these machines which may still be driven. A recent informal survey of the few accidents in which these cars have been involved in the past decade shows a couple (one fatal) which were due to mechanical failure, though interestingly enough both of these failures were of non-Ford accessory components. Every other known accident was caused by a distracted driver of a modern vehicle ploughing into a Flivver. In most cases a cellular telephone was involved. Generally texting.

In the mid-1990s my wife and I bought a 1975 Dodge Royal Monaco from an older couple who lived on the same street as her parents. The first warning sign should have been when we tried to have it's smog equipment tested so we could register it, only to find out that the couple's son, who was allegedly a mechanic, had completely disabled it. Even the "expert" we took it to couldn't get it to work properly, but got it working well enough to pass the test. A few months later I was taking a friend to the airport when we heard a loud siren-like whine which turned out the be the rear differential. Long story short (and that's an understatement) it was in the shop for nine months because our mechanic couldn't find a replacement--the parts were no longer being manufactured, and every used differential he found was in worse condition than ours. He finally cobbled one working differential together from the usable parts taken from what he had available, but that was only because the owner of the shop found out how long the car had been there and threatened to fire everyone involved if it wasn't gone within the week.

But, it's an interesting question:

Which fast food-stores would I choose, when I would have to decide for only ONE product-line for the rest of my life?

Hm, I think, I would prefer the regular-priced "Döner-stores" with A-quality Döner, here in Germany.

Sadly, my first-class Döner, here in my smalltown, costs 4,00 Euro, meanwhile. Vegetarian even 4,50. :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender

I'm usually too busy eating to notice or care what anybody else has on their head, be it a hat or hair. What ticks me off is when someone sitting at the counter spreads out their stuff to the point where they're taking up two places, especially when the place is already crowded. Shove over and give somebody else a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk