Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, what brims make the final cut these days?

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Well fellas, I've been giving my hats some serious road testing days. In the last three months I've been on the road much more than home, and I've given my hats more than their fair share of plane and travel time--where there are no hat racks anymore....and I have some favorites, largely due to durability, radical change in climates where sweating in Singapore can juxtapose freezing in Helsinki. I travel frequently between climates, so bringing a hat along means that it can find a life in both hot and cold climes. Here are some latest thoughts on some hats:

1. 30s mint-condition Borso homburg, mouse grey. Damn if this 'aint a great hat. It's not the nerdy homburg look, the dimples are deep and awesome and show great shadows. I wear it with suits or leather jacket. And yes, I'm a white guy. So much depth to the hat due to the up-turned brim that I bring down in front. More like a more dressy aficionado (al a Trent Johnson--perhaps the world's best hat maker). Handles planes and the shrinkage of low humidity of long air travel well. Handles sweat and cold with aplomb. No wonder the thing has lasted in great conditon for over 70 years.

2. Gladhatter Hickory Wonder. The damn hat is a hit everywhere I go. Someone says Indy, another says cowboy, another says bogie. Softest felt to the touch I have, even compared to the vintage. Ultimately flexible in suit or casual, with both brown and black matches. That cool flying V bow of Dalia's and the flare of the upturned side brim make it too classic and contemporary at the same time, especially with the color that shows some texture and character. And a damn combat ready hat, for sure. Can take the serious pounding of airtravel, adventure travel and nights out with brazilian women (if you haven't been to brazil, you might not get this point, but rest assured....). One of my favorite hats for sure. So well made, makes an Optimo hat feel and look like kids play.

3. 40s Royal Stetson Stratoliner, blue grey, mint condition. Need I say more? One freaking great and classic brim. I almost don't want to wear it due to its historical value and significance. but it takes a lickin' and is one great, stylish brim that bounces right back in shape after a suitcase flattens it for the 14-hour flight from shanghai to chicago. It never hurts that a hat like this highlights my blue eyes, and that helps close a deal...(you decide the deal I'm closing).

So, what are you guys wearing that is making the final cut these days?

Regards,
G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot