Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So what's in a correct shaving kit

zeus36

A-List Customer
I think "toothpowder" was common. My grandfather had some in a red oval can
(maybe Pepsident?) and I used it as I preferred the taste over tooth pastes of today. I now use baking soda.

Either a straight razor or double edged razor should be in the kit. I've seen travel kits with nail implements fitted into a soft case at vintage stores.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just picked up a shaving brush with badger bristles. What a nice indulgence. I also have the little bowl of shaving soap, very nice. I hardly have to shave though, but I do enjoy it much more. I still use my Mach III and my Sonicare toothbrush. Not everything I have is retro.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Cut throat

I have a small collection of straight razors buried in a drawer - three are barber razors, very wide blades, in gutta-percha cases. There's no way I'd attempt shaving with them.
As you may have seen in another thread, I've just discovered Bay Rum after shave, a Big Hit with those who get near enough to catch a whiff. And the Burma Shave soap is really good stuff. Nice, close shave.

shamus

Suspended
I don't really like the burma shave soap, it's too dry on my skin. I did buy it with the cool burma mug though. I actually use an old badger brush that my grandfather bought in Italy years ago and never used. It's an Omega brand if I remember.

I tired the colgate but it's worst than the burma...

Crabtree and Evelin. Very nice and smells great too. The Mrs. really likes it.
I've been looking for a great Bay Rum, but havent found it yet.

the Shamus

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Shamus!

Try ClassicShaving.com for good shaving soaps. They have their own brand with some nice fragrances. I like the citrus spice better than the others I've tried. Nobody around here stocks good shaving items, so I buy everything I need from them. My skin has never felt dry or irritated with their soaps, and they're supposed to be all natural.

Brad

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars

FALLOUT said:
Are there any regular retail stores that sell the items, or like items, that are on classicshaving.com?

I would look at The Art of Shaving ( http://www.theartofshaving.com ) Very classy site.

In my shaving kit at the office I have:

Kent Brush
Axe Body Spray
Deoderant
Small Tooth brush and tooth paste
Disposable razor
Roll-on styptic pencil
Tissues
Cotton T-Shirt (super compressed)
Lint roller
Aftershave

Shaving_kit_1.jpg

But you can't just stop there. I keep a few other things along side it. I just recently added a bottle a Courvoisier.
Shaving_kit_2.jpg

Lion

New in Town
FALLOUT said:
Are there any regular retail stores that sell the items, or like items, that are on classicshaving.com?

If you have any tobacco stores near you, you might want to try them. I've seen classic shaving suplies in a few over the years. There's one not too far away from me now with a very nice selection. They even have straight razors.

Leo

Johnnysan

One Too Many
A couple of comments...

1) Beware the straight edge razors if you're planning on boarding a plane. Most folks don't associate them with shaving and you could run afoul of TSA and loose an antique.

2) While the "Art of Shaving" line is very nice, it's also damned pricey. I balked at $90 for a badger brush and continued to scour the Internet. I landed on a site for Tweezerman and picked up a very servicable badger brush for $10. I have used it nearly every day for the past year and it still looks like new. No problem with shedding bristles, etc. If anyone is wanting to try one out before stepping up to a Cadillac, I highly recommend these.

Smooth shaving! :cheers1:

zeus36

A-List Customer
You should really try a Badger Brush instead of a boar bristle brush for shaving. It does not have to be a top of the line Silver-tip, the standard ones go for around $20.00.
The difference is amazing!

Johnnysan

One Too Many
FALLOUT said:
Thanks guys for the tips. Pyroxene I picked up that brush!! They also had some Williams shaving soap.... anybody try this yet?

I use Williams soap regularly...it's good stuff - no irritation, good lather, rinses clean. I also second Zeus' comment on moving up to a badger brush instead of a boar bristle brush. The results will amaze you even from an entry level $10 brush (see my previous post.) Badger dries much faster, doesn't develop an odor the way boar bristles can and retains its shape much better. Once I used a badger brush, my boar bristles hit the garbage can and I'll never go back.

Heirphoto

New in Town
Excuse the shameless plug but I sell straight razor shaving supplies on eBay. http://cgi3.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=heirphoto

All of the strops are hand made in my shop. The razors in my kits are German made. And I include the classics, Burma Shave brushes and Williams soap.

Glad to ofer any advice on straight razor shaving for those interested.

Our group has a great resource too, www.straightrazorplace.com

Thanks,
Tony Miller
The Well Shaved Gentleman
Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

shamus

Suspended
Do they sell any sort of badger brush conditioner... All that soap can't be good for it year after year...

I did condition it once and it looked quite nice. I thought about that hot oil treatment like from VO5 or something...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ