Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer/Footy fans?

England!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Beckham crying on the touchline like a baby. Rooney exposed on the world stage to be the vicious curr that he is. It couldn't get much better for Scots. I almost accidentally doused my fedora in beer when the keeper saved his third penalty.

(when Scotland don't make it i support anyone non-European. And anyone who isn't England or Germany. Sad, i know, but that's the way it is.)

bk

mikepara

Practically Family
Blind refs

Rooney stamps on 2 players then gets sent off for a little push! Mad :eusa_doh:

Don't know why everyones so upset. England played poorly at every stage and if they somehow 'fluked' it what did they think they'd do to Brazil with Crouch? No Rooney, Beckham or Owen.lol

Now no Sven. Good Rid-dance.:eusa_clap

Sorry but I'm rooting for the Germans.;)

matei

One Too Many
We just watched Brazil lose to France, Zidane looked great.

While in the shops we heard England crash out on penalties.

It was a great day to be in town, all the shops were empty - with everyone either at home or in the pub.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I'm of Sicilian descent, so I should support Italy, but I didn't like the way they stole that game from Austarlia.

Despite the brutality vs. the Netherlands, there's something about Portugal that captures my imagination. So I'll be supporting them.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
Living in Portland, Oregon, we have within an arms reach a spectacular Irish Pub called Kells. Daily at my lunch hour the last couple weeks I've hurried over there to watch the games amidst hundreds of cheering fans. The World Cup is spectacular!

Go Germany!

Matt

My views ...

... on the Rooney thing: I'm still not convinced the testicular stamping was intentional. Kinda looks like it from some angles (and the beeb had a great photo on their website) but from other angles it looks like he was stumbling around and accidentally stood on 'im. And i don't think he got sent off for the shove. I suspect the ref gave a free kick against Rooney, then the linesman told the ref through his earpiece that he intentionally stomped on the guy.

Same ref that sent beckham off in '98. Should give the NoW and Sun, etc. someone to blame.

Will now root for Portugal. If they go out i root for italy. If they're out also, it has to be France, i'm afraid.

bk

matei

One Too Many
Great game last night... well, great towards the end. The Italians looked better IMHO than the Germans. I agree though - it was a classy goal.

Actually, both were.

In our household we're rooting for France to make it through next... :p

Warden

One Too Many
What ho chaps

MKDONS as they are my local football club and Hull City as I am a Yorkshire man, and yes I heard it all before "if they go much lower they'll drop off the coupon".

As for the world cup, well as Englands out and all my staff are Italian I guess I have no choice

Warden Harry D

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Welcome Aboard!

With the US out, I'm rooting for anyone but France. I'd like to see Big Phil come over here to coach rather than Klinsmann.

As for US clubs, I would not root for a single one of them. They've just been dropped in a number of cities and we're supposed to root for say Red Bull because they're located near New York. Forget it. All around the world, clubs are organic. They develop as a beloved part of the towns that they're located in (And, please, I'm not referring to the MK DONS situation). Not in America. We have franchises that are located in a few cities. I would venture to say that the most popular club in the US is Manchester United not any of the MLS teams.

So, I root for the US national squad and watch as much soccer on FSC and Goal TV as I can. I follow the Premiership and Serie A.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Well, it's France and Italy for the final. Auld Alliance - I'd support France. But Italy, I can imagine retiring to. Decisions, decisions. I think I'll go with France, but Italy will win.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Well, I guess it's Forza Italia, now, for me.:eusa_doh:

I agree about MLS, to a point. However I'd like to see it succeed. They're going about it all wrong, they dropped teams in TV Markets with lots of suburban soccer being played. Until they play the game the way it's meant to be played, with a single table, at least, it'll stay uniformly mediocre to bad. Since the locations were decided by TV market, there's little point in fighting to have promotion/relegation. It won't happen, I'm sad to say. And with the size of this nation, the travel costs for small, promoted clubs, would likely break their budgets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner