Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

-SOLD- XXL Silk Plush Top Hat for sale $900

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
For sale: mint condition Knox silk plush top hat. Absolutely beautiful hat. It is a size 7 3/4, which you may be aware are rare as hen's teeth and in high demand for today's large-headed man. Great for the Royal Ascot. The price is $900 for the complete set, including box and polisher. All original. 1930s.

knox-view1-contrast.jpg

knox.jpg

detail3-knox.jpg

knox-detail2.jpg

knox-detail.jpg

knox-box-with-pad.png

knox-box.jpg

owilmott

New in Town
Hi, my husband is interested in this hat for Ascot - do you ship to the UK? What payment methods do you accept? Also are the sizes the same around the world? Many thanks,
OJW

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The lining says Washington. Somebody might have bought it for a single event, like maybe an inauguration, worn it once, and never worn it again. Looks brand new, doesn't it?

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Hello all, unfortunately I sold this item elsewhere almost immediately after I put this up (this was my discount price for loungers and I got the higher price), but I have not been able to reach a computer and take down the ad in the interim. If this sale falls through, I will be sure to message those who are interested via private message in order of response. I had no idea I would get this many people interested. I was hoping to keep this as an heirloom but unfortunately times are tough and I need to raise some cash quickly.

The provenance is Knox Hats, Raleigh Haberdasher in Washington D.C.. Likely manufactured in the 1930s (I defer to the experts in this forum on this point). The most likely thing is it was bought by or for a diplomat and then was seldom if ever used. On the box, the leather strap actually creates a darker line on the lid where the sunlight and dust could not reach the original patina for all these decades.

Last edited:
Hello all, unfortunately I sold this item elsewhere almost immediately after I put this up (this was my discount price for loungers and I got the higher price), but I have not been able to reach a computer and take down the ad in the interim.

No need to take it down... just go advanced to edit and mark the heading as "SOLD". It's nice to have the listing for future reference.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I can't imagine any reason I'd ever wear a top hat, but if I did I want it to be just like that one.

Not surprised it sold so quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn