Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some one at Bailey is a Dracula fan.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
True Horror

BegintheBeguine said:

The Vampire chronicles Vol. .... written in Budapest NOT in Bucharest you know

1431-1476:At the age of five, young "Vlad" was also initiated into the Order of the Dragon...becomes "Vlad III the Impaler (Vlad Ţepeş )..."Kazıklı Bey" which means "Impaler Prince"...defender of Wallachia against Ottoman expansionism....His impact on the expansion of the Ottoman Empire is recognizable in that his successful hold against them bought precious time for Western Europe."

Dec. 1476: "Vlad was forced to march to meet the Turks with the small forces at his disposal, somewhat less than four thousand men"

Vampyre literature
1797: Goethe, Braut von Korinth
1847: Tolstoi Vurdalak family
1894: Munch paints the Vampyre
1897: Bram Stoker ...
Silverscreen:
1922: Murnau Symphony of Terror ...
May 2006: the castle was returned to Princess Ileana's son, New York architect Archduke Dominic Habsburg
July 2007: Habsburg (!) Heir puts 'Dracula's Castle' w. 450,000 visitors/yr on sale : $80 million:eusa_clap that is 2 M Alucard hats for Dominic!:eusa_clap

Lestat loved to hunt in society...and seemingly exterminated too many Aristocrats...

P.S.: Dear Vendors, pls. redirect Dominic to Alucard.

matei

One Too Many
If ye are really interested in this particular subject (not the hat), check out Cetatea Poenari, for Castelul Bran has the most tenuous of ties to Vlad Ţepeş.

The historical figure, Vlad Ţepeş, is much more interesting than the fictional monster conjured up by the febrile imagination of Mr. Stoker.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DavidVillaJr said:
Now, ladies and gentlemen, am I alone in wondering WHY Dracula would need a summer hat? It's not like he gets out in the sun much.....
I'm in the middle of re-reading Stoker's book, and contrary to the popularly held belief, which I held as well, Dracula could go out in daylight, and is sighted by Jonathon and Mina Harker on a London street in broad daylight. Apparently, Dracula could not use his supernatural powers in daylight, but was able to move about while the sun was up.

dean

Feraud

Bartender
deanglen said:
I'm in the middle of re-reading Stoker's book, and contrary to the popularly held belief, which I held as well, Dracula could go out in daylight, and is sighted by Jonathon and Mina Harker on a London street in broad daylight. Apparently, Dracula could not use his supernatural powers in daylight, but was able to move about while the sun was up.

dean
The Coppola film tried to stick to the text and showed Dracula walking around London in daylight.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
'Science'

dean[/QUOTE]

Since this is NO more about the Alucard hat and not about Tepes not to mention Dominic...
The origins of vampire legends.
Genesis 6:2, 6:4, 6:5
The Slavic version of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Enoch it has circulated in Greek orthodox and Slavic circles, the Balkans. And also in Poland and Hungary. Not only Romania. The complete version was found in Ethiopia.

The Book of Enoch describes the fall of the Watchers, the angels http://www.russianartgallery.org/vrubel/demonhead.htm who fathered the Nephilim (cf. the bene Elohim, Genesis 6:1-2). The fallen angels went to Enoch to intercede on their behalf with God after he declared to them their doom. The remainder of the book describes Enoch's visit to Heaven in the form of a vision, and his revelations

Nephilim: mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
Their parents the watchers led by Semjaaza in other versions Azazel had different 'dark gifts' which they passed on to their earthly lovers, beautiful women before they had sex and the children: arts, make-up, working on metals, etc. http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/thebookofenoch.htm Chapters 6-10. This is from where the sensuality comes, this is why there is 0 vampyre story without women.

Since that Enoch book is not an officially canonized book, and wasn't available in each village parish, the info trickled just through also in a fragmented way. Folklore is a distortion as always and hand-picks just the most dashing details. Novellists also exeggarate the most interesting aspects: lust, blood, centuries old life, supernatural powers. As said here it is not science but the pervertion and distortion of uncanonized material on divinity.

Goya has also a painting on such a giant: http://artchive.com/artchive/G/goya/giant.jpg.html
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/G/goya/colossus.jpg.html

Those folks walk all in the light on the paintings.

If you note: Armand and Louis are watching the portrait of their actual ‘Daddy’ in the museum-if you like. Now you know, why vampires like the light etc.

Anne Rice just 'forgot' to tell this - her primary source.

Tepes Vlad, a Knight and Defender of Christianity just got glued into the legend. Stoker did apologize as Harker for that. And Stoker also tried to explain -as the insane Renfield- about his religious researches he has done on his behalf.
Tepes impaled also some Saxonian merchants for unfair trade which people in return did spread his negative image. Impaling was common and PSYOPS of this guy to make the Turks fear him - he was a little pissed off the vision that his country will disappear for a while from the map - it happened for a few centuries. Impaling and beheading the enemy warlord was common: a display for the troops that the enemy is beaten. The Habsburgs did that with Turks during the Siege for Vienna too.
Tepes most probably ended also that way - but he was called 'Kaziglou Bey' by his enemy not a coward or alike.

Because that Vlad/prince WENT to the battle -unlike the one from the country where the novel plays a lot and where it was written- and he did not sell his castle, OK?

matei

One Too Many
Nice work Tom - lots of interesting information there!

Here in London I often see vampires walking around in broad daylight... Vampires of all sorts. ;)

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
DavidVillaJr said:
Now, ladies and gentlemen, am I alone in wondering WHY Dracula would need a summer hat? It's not like he gets out in the sun much.....

I know, my attempt at humor "sucked".....:)

I'm just feeling "drained".......lol......or "batty"

hhahahahahahahahaha

stop me before I kill again.......

hello? hello?.........................................anybody out there?

all I hear are crickets......:eek:

dv
Cute, adorable e-veeenn.......

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
Theres always been something very sentual about vampires, the whole thing, I have to say that my own facination in them has been around since I was a teenager, and it went as far as doing research on Vlad the Impailer, and watching "Forever Knight" faithfully, and all the Nasveratu movies, anything with that lifestyle did a lil sunthin sunthin for me, as weird as that is... However, I did not go as low as the Buffy facination, cute, but not truly a fan. Angel, on the other hand,was just plane HOT!!!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
be_lovely said:
Theres always been something very sentual about vampires, the whole thing, I have to say that my own facination in them has been around since I was a teenager, and it went as far as doing research on Vlad the Impailer, and watching "Forever Knight" faithfully, and all the Nasveratu movies, anything with that lifestyle did a lil sunthin sunthin for me, as weird as that is... However, I did not go as low as the Buffy facination, cute, but not truly a fan. Angel, on the other hand,was just plane HOT!!!

Sure it is sensual and seducing*. The original story is also fascinating. Look at the paintings of Vrubel. http://www.russianartgallery.org/vrubel/ Twist in life: my master's wife from whom I learned painting also came from the same town Russia/Omsk as did Vrubel. But I got my fascination for that painter earlier.

That Vrubelic Demon is fantastic, androgyne. The legend also inspired another Russian: Lermontov, the poet. ( the Demon).

And another writer: Anne Rice. I think, that Interview film was genial and a milestone. Anne just substituted Nephilim with New world angels - free phantasy. And the movie is really great. Shows also the androgyny of those beings and breaks the century old tradition with Count Dracula.

How did it that Overthrown Demon with Vrubel got its peacock feathers. From another folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yezidi.

In the Yazidi worldview, God created the world, which is now in the care of a Heptad of seven Holy Beings, often known as Angels or heft sirr (the Seven Mysteries). Pre-eminent among these is Melek Taus (Tawûsê Melek in Kurdish), the Peacock Angel, who is equated with Satan or Devil by some Muslims and Christians.

Yazidis believe that Melek Ta’us is not a source of evil or wickedness. They consider him as the leader of the archangels, not a fallen angel

Since Lermontov lived in the Caucasus for a while, he had that Yezidi legend somewhat closer than Anne Rice in New Orleans? Who knows.

Hope you enjoyed it.:)

and sorry for writers who want to shovel some money from an 'original story' that is pantheon re-editing.
*http://www.illusionsgallery.com/treasures.html
Lestat introduced himself anyway politely and genially at the end of the film - by turning on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathy_for_the_Devil - so everyone knows what we are talking about.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
HungaryTom said:
And another writer: Anne Rice. I think, that Interview film was genial and a milestone. Anne just substituted Nephilim with New world angels - free phantasy. And the movie is really great. Shows also the androgyny of those beings.

.:)

I was very much into the Anne Rice books, got swept away in them when I would read them and had very vivid lifelike dreams when I would read them, sometimes too lifelike, but never scary dreams, always very intimate ones.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
be_lovely said:
I was very much into the Anne Rice books, got swept away in them when I would read them and had very vivid lifelike dreams when I would read them, sometimes too lifelike, but never scary dreams, always very intimate ones.

Judging from your avatar it is obvious why you were/are a target of those dreams. Angels (unlike men) can discover hidden and obvious beauty more than the flesh-and blood men…not to mention the guy with wealth and taste. Too much beauty is powerful but also dangerous. Makes real men insane (Ladies of the lounge thread) and angels also (the stuff cited here)…Both mortal men and angels fall seeing female beauty. I posted in both threads, I am no exception - just a mortal.

P.S: we have the transcendental explanation too why the men of the lounge thread is not that magical - gents' job is to admire women and fight for them (or to keep the one) - for immortals we are anyway just food if we can't fight them. To understand Ladies? No way. How? If even angels with their timeless wisdom (and 1 wife each!?) failed there and were falling because them?

Edward

Bartender
deanglen said:

I'm by no means a vampire expert, but I've done a little reading around, and it seems that the only constant among all the vampire legends is that they are all obsessive-compulsive in some way or other, as I recall.

There's an excellent book on vampires which traces the mythology from the beginnings, through literature, film and modern pop culture. Can't recall the author and don't have the book to hand, but it's called "Children of the Night." Well worth picking up a copy.

Feraud said:
The Coppola film tried to stick to the text and showed Dracula walking around London in daylight.

Stoker's work certainly deserves better than most of the pulpy interpretations it has had. I expect that the definitive Dracula has yet to be made (the BBC produced a trul awful version at Christmas 2006, which took major liberties with the plot the least of which was Jonathan Harker never returning from Romania. Well costumed, well acted..... awful script). The Coppola version was definitely the best I've seen, though, sticking as it does reasonably faithfully to the book. Gary Oldman is great in it. I especially love that scene in London.

be_lovely said:

I never got the Angel thing at all - Spike was much cooler in my book (proper, hard-ba***rd Spike, not the soppy Buffy fixated thing they turned him into). I liked Buffy, but it did jump the shark somewhast towards the end. I believe it should have ended with her death - "into each generation a slayer is born" and all that, the ending IMO should have been Buffy's death at thge hands of a vampire, and the epilogue Giles (or the next watcher - whoever) identifying the next girl and beginning her training.

Anyhow...

matei

One Too Many
Edward said:
... The Coppola version was definitely the best I've seen, though, sticking as it does reasonably faithfully to the book. Gary Oldman is great in it. I especially love that scene in London.

I really enjoyed Coppola's version of Dracula. Gary Oldman was great indeed, and Winona Ryder was (is?) easy on the eyes.

However, for me it had an extra appeal... It might be a minor point, but it was the first Dracula film I'd seen to finally have extras (it was supposedly taking place in Transilvania, no?) who delivered their lines in Romanian. I'd seen several Dracula productions where the "locals" were speaking gibberish - literally.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
But certainly no Dracula manifestation would ever think to wear Bailey Alucard lol lol lol lol except if they wanna look hip lol lol lol

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yohanes said:
But certainly no Dracula manifestation would ever think to wear Bailey Alucard lol lol lol lol except if they wanna look hip lol lol lol

The novel mentions Dracula wearing two different hats at different times. When sighted by the Harkers, he has a dark dress hat (topper? bowler?)and when he arrives at the London docks to flee the band of vampire hunters, he has a straw hat that Stoker describes as being quite out of place with his all black formal attire.

dean

HungaryTom

One Too Many
http://www.freedominion.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=83677&sid=fa8ecddc0da4322a58e565ba85033488
http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/7/2/163221.shtml?s=ic

So Dominic tried to get out off the story with some class- but failed.

Increasing the sale value to 135 M - by giving statements how very historic and precious that building was. That is car salesman techniques.

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/01/09/0137249.shtml
(Wikipedia points out that Bran Castle's ties to Vlad are weak and disputed.) ....how about the ties of Dominic, the NY graphic designer?

If it was the Archdukean grandezza - he could have simply donated the castle, like in those tales i.e. return it to the donor and leave up the hassle of the castle sale/maintenance for the Romanian state, to the people who built, defended, maintained and finally renovated it.

If it was the NY businessman spirit - he could have entrusted a company to keep and maintain that castle according to his specs -sense of history, you know...it is not that difficult with a freshly renovated site and 450.000 visitors plus the vogue of Dracula/Mystery film fashion.

Where stands http://www.draculascastle.com now?[huh]

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
Do you think Dracula might have a stake in that company?

So, by them naming that hat that, were they being clever or cryptic?

OK, that's all. I'm out. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen.

Now do one about nietsneknarf (frankenstein) :D

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
I'm by no means a vampire expert, but I've done a little reading around, and it seems that the only constant among all the vampire legends is that they are all obsessive-compulsive in some way or other, as I recall..

YEAH, that's right!!!

In the X-Files, Mulder gets away from the red-headed pizza delivery vampire by scattering sunflower seeds on the motel room floor.

As I remember, the kid was quite upset about it, but HAD to stop and pick them ALL up.lol

dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner