Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some questions about how to wear

Taggert

Familiar Face
Am i wearing this right?(the hat not sure how a porkpie should be worn brim wise..lol (also please direct me to a link on tie/shirt etiquette as it's been a LONG time since I dealt with either)
davepopi.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
Looks good to me. Listen, as long as you don't wear a fedora backwards, none of us are likely to tell you are wearing the hat wrong. We all wear our hats differently or different hats differently as well.

There's no right or wrong. It's all about who you are and what is the message you want to convey and how you want to do that.

You will find that you naturally wear different hats in differnt manners and sometimes your mood will dictate how you wear your hat that day.

Heck you will notice that many of us have similar hats but have completely different creases or bashes to them. Some like the back to swoop up, some like it down, some flat. Some always like their brim to come down or always up all around, some will have hats where the brim comes up on one side and down the other, Al Capone style.

we men are pretty tied in many manners of dress to standards, especially in business mode. Our expressions come in our ties and hats often.

Taggert

Familiar Face
Thanks guys,
@Sefton:
I am not going to lie...i had to look those words up..lol You sir scare me with your linguistic skills. :D

Am I correct in that you were referring to a Fashion Nazi?

MAB1

Suspended
Forgive me but...

I suggest a wider brim.

A big man like yourself needs a wider brimmed hat.

I know, it's the style these days but...

Try a WIDE BRIMMED HAT DAMNIT!

What's the matter w/ kids these days, anyway....:D

Forgive me,

I can't deal with this stuff. ;)

Taggert

Familiar Face
LOl np MAB1
I am currently in the process of locating a wider brimmed hat. These are hats that I was given by my grandfather.

I really would love a Art Faucet but alas the funds are not there atm.

Feraud

Bartender
The porkpie is being worn exactly right.
Do not be misled with talk about what people are currently wearing and how a big guy should not wear a narrow brim.
It looks good on you. Wear it.

I'm with Feraud on this one. That hat looks good on you, Taggert, big fellow that you are. This is not to say that you wouldn't also do justice to a wider-brimmed lid, but that one looks pretty cool on you. And that it was your grandfather's makes it all the more special, eh?

Taggert

Familiar Face
Thanks guys,

I guess I belong in that self conscious thread :eek:

I agree that a wider brim hat would be nice, but the good ones are all so expensive, any suggestions on where to find a not so wallet busting one *I'm a student atm*

I know ebay but with a odd hat sze that i am (7 1/8 -7 1/4) it seesm most on there are 7 or 7.5 ..lol. A grey, black, brown fedora and possibly a panama are what I am after, but I'll start with just one for now =)

MAB1

Suspended
Patience. They built em and they'll come. :D

And I'm sure all the young chickies think you look stunning in the porkpie.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
warbird said:
Looks good to me. Listen, as long as you don't wear a fedora backwards...

Funny you should mention that...I saw a play recently where a trio came in wearing fedoras...BACKWARDS...and after the show, I asked one of them (a friend) what he was thinking. He said he thought it was backwards but the costumer said no, that's how hats were worn in the 40's. And so I asked her and this dingbat broad is thoroughly convinced of that...I suggested she look at old movies or photographs...why should she do that when she's READ so much and has a degree in fashion & costuming and knows vintage clothing better than...than...than me...a simpleton sitting in the audience. But I'm told by another friend in management that's only one of the reasons they won't be using her on future shows.

carldelo

One Too Many
Taggert said:
Thanks guys,

I guess I belong in that self conscious thread :eek:

I agree that a wider brim hat would be nice, but the good ones are all so expensive, any suggestions on where to find a not so wallet busting one *I'm a student atm*

I know ebay but with a odd hat sze that i am (7 1/8 -7 1/4) it seesm most on there are 7 or 7.5 ..lol. A grey, black, brown fedora and possibly a panama are what I am after, but I'll start with just one for now =)

Hey Taggert - I keep recommending this hat to people, and can't actually get one for myself as my head is too big. But I've read nice things about this hat elsewhere on the lounge as being a good quality fur felt fedora at a low price:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_bogart_lrg.html

VHS currently has a $5 coupon code 'SUNHAT5' that will work on anything over $50 until the end of April. They have 7-1/4 in gray and black - food for thought...

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
The hats are coming...

Don't dispair...

I have a ton of vintage hats in your size...

I'm nearly ready to sell them on the lounge.

Give me a couple more weeks, and you'll be very pleased with the result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland