Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some questions concerning a Levi's Trucker in raw denim

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Hey all,

I just acquired a new Levi's Trucker in what I call raw denim as a summer jacket. The denim is very stiff and dark blue. I'm not sure what the correct term is for it. The jacket has a good fit although it is a little tight around the arms. I struggle to find jackets that fit me as I am barrel chested but not especially tall (5'10"). In this instance the jacket is quite long for a Trucker (which according to my recollections usually ended just below the belt).

My question is: what would you denim experts recommend is best to break it in? Just to wear it daily and never wash it? Wait for a shower and then stand outside in the rain and wear it til it dries? I wouldn't mind if I could get it to shrink in length a little, like my jeans do when they are washed. But I dont want to end up with weird streaking and white lines along it, which I suspect will happen if I subject it to the washing machine.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

004_zps7ee19d7a.jpg

003_zps0bf4f052.jpg

All depends on what you want it to look like down the road. If you want it to look like it does now, just wear it.
If you want it to soften and unstiffen, wash it.
If you want "fades" like the jeans, maybe cold-soak it and hang dry, or wear wet until dry.
There will be 100 ways to do things, and everyone will have an opinion on it. Just figure out how you want it to look a year from now. Five years from now and then act accordingly. Me, I'm not a stiff, dark denim guy. I'm not a guy who can wear jeans for 6-12 months without washing. Others do. Read a lot before you do anything. There's so much info as to be overwhelming...

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Thanks! The 'too much info' is what concerns me. I kind of like the dark look so I'll just wear it. I tend not to hang out in smoky bars much these days so it may go some time before it has to be washed.

As for the jeans, I'm happy that I have found Levi's that fit me but less happy with how quickly they collapse. I prefer jeans that are made from sterner stuff. Luckily I now have the option of checking out some Edwin's, which I found out about here. They're a heftier investment, but I hope they will be worth it.

All depends on what you want it to look like down the road. If you want it to look like it does now, just wear it.
If you want it to soften and unstiffen, wash it.
If you want "fades" like the jeans, maybe cold-soak it and hang dry, or wear wet until dry.
There will be 100 ways to do things, and everyone will have an opinion on it. Just figure out how you want it to look a year from now. Five years from now and then act accordingly. Me, I'm not a stiff, dark denim guy. I'm not a guy who can wear jeans for 6-12 months without washing. Others do. Read a lot before you do anything. There's so much info as to be overwhelming...

Yeah, then just give it a soak in the tub in cold water now and then. That should keep it from being smelly and get it a little more pliable while retaining the color/look. Nice jacket BTW!

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Much obliged! Will do...

I was pleased to find it. Although it appears they are now made in China, the quality seems to be very high. I have always found their Trucker jackets to excellent all-rounders, I've owned a few over the years. Interestingly the buttons on this one are subdued, kind of a gun metal colour. I remember they used to be shiny.

Yeah, then just give it a soak in the tub in cold water now and then. That should keep it from being smelly and get it a little more pliable while retaining the color/look. Nice jacket BTW!

D

Deleted member 16736

If you like the fit, be wary of washing it. It will shrink. And don't use the dryer or it will shrink a lot.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Just wear it, I reckon. Recently broke in a type 3 made from very heavy material and it didn't take that long at all. The crispy new phase was quite enjoyable in and of itself.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty sure that version of the trucker is sanforized denim.. It shouldn't shrink much, ( keep it out of the clothes dryer) give it a cold/warm soak to remove starch (stiffness) and to set the color. Then wear it as long as possible..it will eventually start to fade in the higher wear areas (elbows, cuffs etc..)

mattface

Practically Family
If it's sanforized, the length might shrink a little which is not a bad thing in this case, but it should not shrink enough to be small on you. So giving it a soak at this point would not be a bad thing. then just wear it!

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Thanks. I actually took the time to read the hang tag and it says it has a treated finish and its best to wear it as long as possible before washing. One thing I have noticed is that is has a very strong smell, which is kind of weird. Impossible to describe but very distinctive. I assume its the dye. I am hanging it outside the wardrobe which will hopefully take the edge off it a bit. I've heard of new car smell but new jacket smell...?

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Just to give an update. It is a hot and dry day here today, so I thought I would try a little experiment. I hung the jacket on a hanger on the fence and then hosed it down front and back with a hosepipe. I then hung it out to dry on said hanger. Dried very quickly and .... doesnt appear to have had any discernible effect?! I find this intriguing. If anything the denim is even stiffer than before. It MAY have shrunk a tiny bit in length. In any event, its all part of the fun of breaking in a new denim piece. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo