Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something about Basie

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure what it is, but something about the signature sound of Count Basie and his orchestras has been really appealing to me lately. I don't think it's just the band, either, because the first place I noticed this was listening to Michael Bublé's recording of "All of Me." Unless I'm overestimating my meager musical ear, it has a very Basie ring to it, and I just couldn't stop listening to that song.

Now I always perk up my ears when a Basie tune plays on the Internet swing radio streams I keep going. "Sent For You Yesterday" and "Mama Don't Want No Peas And Rice" both played in the past few minutes, and I was amazed at how much I enjoyed them. I love most all swing (Glenn Miller's gorgeous recording of "Over the Rainbow" just gave me a grand smile), but something about Basie has really been jiving with my tastes.

So, I'm very curious: what is it that Basie and his band tended to do differently? What about Bublé's take on "All Of Me" gives off such a Basie vibe (aside from the basic arrangement, of course). And has anyone else been getting an "Out Of Nowhere" love for his music? It almost seems as random as riding through the desert and meeting Basie and the band playing "April In Paris"... bonus points if you get that reference without clicking the link! ;)

-Steven

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Of course, you're referencing Blazing Saddles.

The later (1952 and after) "New Testament" Basie band sound is very, very smooth and polished. Precise, sharp arrangements with a big full sound, and some unusual instrumentation, like Frank Wess's flute.

Personally, I prefer the more improvisational, raw and urgent sound of the slightly smaller "Old Testament" Basie band (mid-30s to late-40s). But it's all seriously great stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot