Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something new at Good Wear?

willyto

One Too Many
John does several different half belts, a café racer, two Cossacks, and a Grizzly. He's got a decent range of civilian jackets, and they cover most of the bases. I just don't think that they're as common as his military pieces.
I've not seen any Cossack or Grizzly out there and they're not listed as available to buy yet on the product list. The cossack I've only seen it here in the forum. Do you have any picture of the Grizzly?

Unfortunately I much prefer civilian jackets to military ones just because of my whole look so it's a shame that people don't go for that. The one I like is the A-1 for myself. I tried the last cloth jacket style that has been shown here at Aero Leather and it was super comfortable but I don't like it on me.

Lots of folks here love civi jackets. But lots of places make them too.
GW choose to perfect military and a small number of civi pieces which they basically do better than anyone.
I like both. All depends on the mood and need.

Graemsay

Practically Family
@willyto John Chapman hasn't been keeping his website up to date. The best thing to do is click the Photos of New Jacket Productions link on the Good Wear home page, and trawl through the directories there.

Here are links to a few of the civilian styles:
@Mysteryo got the Grizzly off JC. Here are a couple of photos that he posted.

Grizzly 1.jpg
Grizzly 2.jpg

This is the Good Wear "Rainier" Cossack.

Good Wear Cossack.jpg

And this is the Security Aviation Togs Cossack. There's a thread about it, though no-one at the Lounge got the jacket.

SAT Cossack.jpg

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I put my deposit down with Good Wear about a year and a half ago I was positive I wanted an A-2 jacket. As time went on I realized that I am far more into the civilian designs and I agree that John has some beauties to choose from. I am leaning towards the Monarch Messenger:
IMG_2519.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think John placed himself on the map primarily with his various A-2 contracts. However, IMO his G-1 repros are incredibly nice as well as his various civilian jackets that are simple, understated, and elegant in appearance. I also found that anything he models seems to work equally well for me, which includes a Goodwear/Himel Ventura and an original G-1.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
JC is a nice guy.
JC does make nice jackets.
But I'll never own one. I don't see the appeal in waiting. And since the military jackets are made to specs that the Japanese, Aero, ELC, etc also make jackets to, and can sell off the rack, unless you need JC to make an odd size, I don't get it.
If JC was to offer an A-2 made from front quarter unicorn, yeah, I might think about it then.

Cocker

Practically Family
Hey guys,

Just got an answer this morning from JC regarding his B-10. Here are the informations so far:

- The price will be around 650USD
- Production time is currently around 18 months
- The final model will have the USAAF roundel on the shoulder and the stencil on the wind flap
- Label will be a copy of the original Good Wear one
- The final material will be a "bluer" shade of olive to match the original jackets
- Pockets will be a little further appart to match the original pattern

Well, seen I've been waiting for 5 years for a B-10 that would fit me well, I think I'll be able to wait for a couple more to have this one!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Hey guys,

Just got an answer this morning from JC regarding his B-10. Here are the informations so far:

- The price will be around 650USD
- Production time is currently around 18 months
- The final model will have the USAAF roundel on the shoulder and the stencil on the wind flap
- Label will be a copy of the original Good Wear one
- The final material will be a "bluer" shade of olive to match the original jackets
- Pockets will be a little further appart to match the original pattern

Well, seen I've been waiting for 5 years for a B-10 that would fit me well, I think I'll be able to wait for a couple more to have this one!

That's not a bad price, at all. It's too bad that you have to wait as long for these jackets. Too bad several aren't made at a time in different sizes...kind of an off the rack production, but if you wanted a custom fit you could order one like you would one if his leather jackets. Maybe something like that will happen where Diamond Dave will make them and John will do the customs.

- Ian

Technonut

Practically Family
JC is a nice guy.
JC does make nice jackets.
But I'll never own one. I don't see the appeal in waiting. And since the military jackets are made to specs that the Japanese, Aero, ELC, etc also make jackets to, and can sell off the rack, unless you need JC to make an odd size, I don't get it.
If JC was to offer an A-2 made from front quarter unicorn, yeah, I might think about it then.

Having owned A-2's from Aero, RMNZ, ELC, and many, many other makers over the years, JC's are leaps & bounds ahead IMO.. ;) Unsurpassed actually... You would have to experience one to appreciate the difference. :) There is something to be said of the care, quality, and detail offered by a 'one-man-show' who cares deeply about his work...

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Technonut, sorry, but I don't 'get' it.
All USAF flight jackets were mass produced to standardized contract specs (and in wartime made by unskilled labor).
All repro makers are using the same small group of suppliers for hides, materials and fittings.
I don't see how there can be so much scope for anyone to make a 'better' product without that same product being 'too good' when compared to originals.
Many original A-2s were of a pretty low quality.
All issue nylon jackets were mass produced to be exactly the same in real life.
Doing something 'better' than that is inaccurate posing, surely?
I don't blame JC for wanting to make 'the very best jacket possible', but I'm scratching my head at the Emperor's New Clothes attitude amongst many of his customers.
I've been approached by a guy claiming to be wearing a Goodwear A-2 when I've been out and about in one of my Aeros.
I can't tell just by looking if his jacket was really a GW, but he claimed it was. When he asked me if my jacket was a GW too, and I said no, he got really cocky and snooty, and started banging on about the waiting list, and how even if I had the bucks, I still couldn't just go out and get one today. And he had his now! Ooooh!
But he couldn't tell my jacket was an Aero just by looking, so why did he bother?
I think many people have bought into the hype of the waiting list; you're paying double AND waiting over a year, so yeah, it HAS to be 'special' and 'magical', right?
(I'm rolling my eyes).

Technonut

Practically Family
@Technonut, sorry, but I don't 'get' it.
All USAF flight jackets were mass produced to standardized contract specs (and in wartime made by unskilled labor).
All repro makers are using the same small group of suppliers for hides, materials and fittings.
I don't see how there can be so much scope for anyone to make a 'better' product without that same product being 'too good' when compared to originals.
Many original A-2s were of a pretty low quality.
All issue nylon jackets were mass produced to be exactly the same in real life.
Doing something 'better' than that is inaccurate posing, surely?
I don't blame JC for wanting to make 'the very best jacket possible', but I'm scratching my head at the Emperor's New Clothes attitude amongst many of his customers.
I've been approached by a guy claiming to be wearing a Goodwear A-2 when I've been out and about in one of my Aeros.
I can't tell just by looking if his jacket was really a GW, but he claimed it was. When he asked me if my jacket was a GW too, and I said no, he got really cocky and snooty, and started banging on about the waiting list, and how even if I had the bucks, I still couldn't just go out and get one today. And he had his now! Ooooh!
But he couldn't tell my jacket was an Aero just by looking, so why did he bother?
I think many people have bought into the hype of the waiting list; you're paying double AND waiting over a year, so yeah, it HAS to be 'special' and 'magical', right?
(I'm rolling my eyes).

No hype I assure you after 30+ years of owning many A-2's.. One thing I can say after owning a few Aero A-2's.. Nice jackets, but unequivocally and absolutely cannot hold a candle to a GW.. Actually, I sometimes wish I didn't 'get it' with GW... because after owning a few, NO OTHER A-2's of other makers I've purchased since ever satisfy me, despite the price paid. ;)

I suppose you can consider yourself lucky.. :)

EDIT: Horses for courses, and all that.. At the end of the day it's what makes you happy. ;) Myself, I am a detail-oriented, quality freak when it comes to my journey over the years with A-2 repros.. It just happens that my journey ended with GW, and makes me quite happy.. :D

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@Technonut, you've kind of not answered any of my questions.
I understand that many people are in love with GW jackets because they think they are better. That's fine if you think that way, but look at my post again, and look at the questions about objective issues that I raised.
If you can answer them, I'd be appreciative and enlightened, because all I'm getting from you now is more subjective HYPE.
When people don't answer questions, it's usually because they can't.

Technonut

Practically Family
@Technonut, you've kind of not answered any of my questions.
I understand that many people are in love with GW jackets because they think they are better. That's fine if you think that way, but look at my post again, and look at the questions about objective issues that I raised.
If you can answer them, I'd be appreciative and enlightened, because all I'm getting from you now is more subjective HYPE.
When people don't answer questions, it's usually because they can't.

I certainly could go over all of the things which makes a GW A-2 superior to myself, and many other of JC's satisfied customers.. The years of painstaking research, and deconstruction of more surviving original contracts offered by any other maker out there.. Use of original United Carr snaps (and the original die kit to install them), matching thickness, color, texture, and drape of original hides used compared to those originals, original zippers offered, including rare ones at times, etc.. but most of this wouldn't hold much meaning to someone who probably won't 'get it', despite what I post, so I will just leave it at that.. (Also see the edit to my above post)...

I'm truly glad that you are happy and satisfied with whichever A-2 maker / selection you choose.. :)

devilish

A-List Customer
It is well known by some that I am a very happy GW customer and I’ve had several discussions on here about the relative quality of his products. John is very humble and I’m not sure he himself would claim to be the final word in repro A-2’s? I also know that over the years he’s hired extra staff to try and cut down his wait list. Ultimately though he has a keen eye for quality and has always gone back to making them all himself.
Are they the best? Some say yes, others no. Are they better than a lot of originals, absolutely. But that’s sort of a moot point really. All the top quality makers are. They aren’t churning these jackets out for the War Department. They are making very nice jackets for paying customers. That is the point. You pays your money and you makes your choice. Some are happy to wait for a GW. Some want theirs quicker and go with other makers. Neither is right or wrong. It’s a personal choice. Both end up with great jackets and are happy.
John’s operation just happens to be smaller and therefore price and wait time are determined by the economy of scale.
I realise, Big J, that this probably doesn’t answer your specific questions about original spec vs repro? However I think things get confused because of the military connection. Really these jackets should be treated as separate from the original history and be seen the same as a bespoke suit or pair of shoes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner