Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something new at Good Wear?

@jonesy86 , you just bought an expensive jacket and can't afford another. Interest rates on credit cards are ridiculous. It's a biker jacket and you don't ride. You don't look good in black. It has too many zippers. Shinki isn't such great leather as everyone says. The teacore horsehide slowly wears to a brown shade and you already have a brown jacket. Is it a Good Wear, or a Himel, and why can't they make up their minds? The chest zipper is reproduction, and not NOS. You need a lighter jacket for California.

So, I hope you bought it... :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@jonesy86 that GW/Himel is a Cafe Racer, not really a biker jacket, and was designed for wannabe bikers (like me) who would like to ride again but probably (definitely) never will. What we buy has nothing to do with need but everything to do with want. So, we on the Lounge are encouraging you to buy, buy, buy. Otherwise you will never be truly a part of our neurotic band of brothers. :D

@jonesy86 that GW/Himel is a Cafe Racer, not really a biker jacket, and was designed for wannabe bikers (like me) who would like to ride again but probably (definitely) never will. What we buy has nothing to do with need but everything to do with want. So, we on the Lounge are encouraging you to buy, buy, buy. Otherwise you will never be truly a part of our neurotic band of brothers. :D
You know what Richard, at some point in life we have "earned" the right to do WTF we want to, and that falls into this category. I may never ride again either - based on the average moron in a car to not stop texting - but if I want to wear a biker jacket, I sure as hell will! And you should too my man.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Wore my GW A-2 tonight, little chilly when I went out. It wasn't "made for me", I believe it's an A2 originally made for Butte but was a little too stiff for him. It's beautiful and I love it BUT it wasn't perfect. The original zip blew out and I had to have it replaced. Also the body is a tad long for me. All this being said it is the finest A-2 I own and I've had plenty. How so you ask? The match and finish of the hides is superb. The stitching is first rate, even my Aero's usually have a stitch loose somewhere. It's FINALLY getting some real crease and character in the sleeves and body and I'm so happy with it.

My other GW is an ANJ-3 I believe, a custom job with a redskin body and tan horse accents. John was able to give me the shortest nap he could fine and it really keeps me from looking like the Michelin Man. My other custom sheepskin is a Redskin D1 from A.L.. It is okay and gets lots of love but just doesn't rise to the same level of detail.

The moral of my story is I have 2 GW's (and a 3rd that won't be mentioned as it makes some folks mad that they sold it to me) and have no intention of selling or giving away either of em. I don't contend that "they're the best" as all comparisons are "subjective" but I will say they're better than comparable jackets of similar style and vintage from other companies.

Worf

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Butte!
I didn't stop riding when I got married, and my wife never asked me too. She's a good girl, but I know she used to worry. When my wife got pregnant with our first, I sold the bike. There are just way too many drivers who aren't giving the road their full attention, and I could reasonably expect my wife to have gotten on without me, but it'd be unfair to make her a single-mother.
So I don't ride.
But I'm really lusting after a Cal Leathers police jacket like James Dean, and why shouldn't I just get one?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Just curious.

Since JC does all his own fit pics, does anyone know what his measurements are, and how he sizes his own jackets?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just curious.

Since JC does all his own fit pics, does anyone know what his measurements are, and how he sizes his own jackets?
If you scroll down to the bottom of one of his sale listings, the Himel/GW racer for instance, there is a chart that lists his height, weight, p2p, etc.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hear ye, Hear ye!
Calling all obsessive/compulsive merry members of this band of brother and sister connoisseurs of fine leather jackets.
Everyone please chime in, I would like your opinions. It worked when I bought a jacket off the shelf from Aero!
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 9.24.14 PM.png

JC's measurements, and Jacket Measurements:
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 9.08.38 PM.png

Jonesy86's measurements:
A. 48"
B. 41"
C. 41"
D. 39"
E. 25.5
F. 195 LB.
G. 73"
JC Fit Pic:
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 9.13.25 PM.png

What say all or you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 12.22.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 12.22.39 PM.png
    589.5 KB · Views: 333

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think everyone reaches a point where they can tell with near certainty if a jacket will fit by looking at the numbers. If it fits, well...

I'm not IN LOVE with that particular model, but it's just me. The bottom brown one however; if it fit me and the measurements lined up I'd already have it ordered!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I think everyone reaches a point where they can tell with near certainty if a jacket will fit by looking at the numbers. If it fits, well...

I'm not IN LOVE with that particular model, but it's just me. The bottom brown one however; if it fit me and the measurements lined up I'd already have it ordered!

I was thinking i just got a brown HBD, and I don't have a black leather jacket yet. But, I really like the slightly used Cossack jacket with the rounded collar and buttons, that recently sold for only $775. I actually attached that photo by accident. They only have an 18 to 24 month waiting period at this point.

Thanks for the response. I think the numbers might work on the Cafe Racer, but I am not very experienced.

plainsman

Familiar Face
did you get any feedback from GW? I wrote to ask about delivery during my US trip, but never got any reply in two weeks. At least, i am saving 1500$ and i already have a GW in brown anyway))

CBI

One Too Many
Good Wear A-2 jackets being “better” should be clarified to “the most historically accurate A-2 jackets” which they are. That has been John’s focus since the start of his company. Cut, drape, stitch count, historic sewing techniques, seam direction, internal folds, internal features, historic materials, leather, minute details of each original contract……… Good Wear A-2’s are across the board the most accurate when placed alongside an original A-2. Many of the more “accurate” features are very small details that unless pointed out, most people would not catch. I believe a few of the more recent Eastman original maker A-2 jackets are also very spot on. However, if someone is wanting a cool looking A-2 that does not need to be 100% correct, there are a number of excellent high-end options. Historically correct in every way may not even be the best jacket for some people. All of this said, John has made so many jackets of such fine quality that he is considered (by colleagues in the high-end, custom leather, heritage business) as one of the “best” or “most skilled” leather jacket makers in the world. Lots of great makers out there. I do think people like to own “the best” and it gets to their head’s sometimes.

Thanks much @Worf for not rubbing in the A-1 thing. Wait, you did! :p
All's fair in love, war, and jacket flipping. Life would be boring sans any regrets, right? I have a few...

One GW thing is that JC often shows a customers jacket in his photos. While he's ~46, these were NOT made for him, and sometimes a pic may look so-so, but it's only because those were built for guys bigger/smaller/shorter/taller, etc.
I'd lie if I said I liked every jacket he's made - I don't. But it's the jacket style and not his work.

Like Worf and CBI, if I compare the details in my GW's, they simply are replicas of jackets that when worn, someone would have a really hard time not knowing if they are originals. I've also got Aero, LW, etc. that are exceptional jackets. But as CBI nicely put it, probably nobody gets the whole "clone" of the originals as good as JC. You can see why his jackets are used as "Hero" pieces for a big budget movie. They're just that good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points