Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

just_me

Practically Family
What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
In My Life - The Beatles
Old Friends - Simon and Garfunkle

celtic

A-List Customer
GeniusInTheLamp said:
To my earlier list, I'll add "Many Rivers To Cross" by Jimmy Cliff; I've been in that situation too many times to mention.

wow, that's a great tune i haven't heard in a long time.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Patsy Cline's brilliant "Crazy" and "Faded Love", the latter complete with an actual sob in the last line. There's so much emotion in Patsy's delivery of those sad lines.

Also Roy Orbison's "In Dreams." When I was 19 I remember dropping my grilfriend home after a night out and pulling up in the driveway of my house and that song came on; it must have been around midnight. I sat there in the dark with the car stereo turned up and felt the goosebumps and the emotion flow over me. Another outstanding singer of beautiful songs very much missed.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
The first Saturday in May I ALWAYS get a tad misty when "My Old Kentucky Home" plays before The Run For The Roses. There are many stories of my family members crying when hearing that tune when far, far away.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I hear just a little bit of Just a Dream by Carrie Underwood and I cry for hours-- I lost a loved one in Iraq this past summer and it just hurts too much.

"Who am I" by Casting Crowns was played at the funeral, so that sets me off too. We heard "Do you realize" by the Flaming Lips while driving in the processional, so that one gets me going too.

"I'll be Seeing you" has always made me a bit weepy, and I get tingles whenever I hear Judy sing "Somewhere over the rainbow."

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Maggie.

(I apologise, but the PM Inbox was full)

Dear Maggie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too lost a loved one in October and I understand it is very, very hard to come to terms with, especially when you feel it is before they have lived their life.
I so hope it doesn't dampen too much that lovely and beautiful spirited girl from Texas with the dancing spring in her step that all the members here on TFL love and enjoy the online presence of.

I'm sure I echoe all here when I say, our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are really, really with you over this traumatic time.

Paddy.

maggiethespy said:
I hear just a little bit of Just a Dream by Carrie Underwood and I cry for hours-- I lost a loved one in Iraq this past summer and it just hurts too much.

"Who am I" by Casting Crowns was played at the funeral, so that sets me off too. We heard "Do you realize" by the Flaming Lips while driving in the processional, so that one gets me going too.

"I'll be Seeing you" has always made me a bit weepy, and I get tingles whenever I hear Judy sing "Somewhere over the rainbow."

VintageRed

Familiar Face
This will probably sound really crazy, but the one song that can bring me right to my knees, literally, is O Holy Night. I heard that song sung in a cathedral in NYC by a children's choir one holiday season and it was by far, the most moving and humbling musical experience of my life. I love that song.

It is truly beautiful.

~Red

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Betty Harris's version of "Cry to Me".

Also, "Alma Mater", by Alice Cooper. Off the bat, it doesn't seem like it'd be a tearjerker, but the tempo and volume dynamics in the song combined with the sentimental subject matter with melancholy overtones give me sad goosebumps. [huh]

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Thank you for your kind words. It's been difficult, but every day it gets a little less difficult.

PADDY said:
(I apologise, but the PM Inbox was full)

Dear Maggie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I too lost a loved one in October and I understand it is very, very hard to come to terms with, especially when you feel it is before they have lived their life.
I so hope it doesn't dampen too much that lovely and beautiful spirited girl from Texas with the dancing spring in her step that all the members here on TFL love and enjoy the online presence of.

I'm sure I echoe all here when I say, our heartfelt thoughts and prayers are really, really with you over this traumatic time.

Paddy.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There are several songs that really have a deep meaning to me, and tend to put me in a very nostalgic (in a good way, but still sad) mood.

"Nights in White Satin" - Moody Blues

Brings back memories from a time in college. Need I say more ...

"What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong

I made the mistake of putting together a video clip from some of the best parts of old home movies and slides from when I was a baby to give to my Dad not too long ago. While my intent was to capture some of the "best of times growing up" it ended up being so nostalgic that we both sat there with tears running down our faces when we watched it together.

"Pomp and Circumstance" (the song played at graduation)

My Dad was a high school Principal for over 30 years. The school, and the children who attended there over the years, were a major part of his life. Dad always said that he wanted "Pomp and Circumstance" played at his funeral, because that would be his big "graduation." Well, when he died last November we honored his request. We had one of our old retired teachers who played piano for our high school graduations years ago play "Pomp and Circumstance" as we carried Dad's casket out of the Church. The effect was way more than we imagined. It wasn't so much sad, but it was so powerful that even now when I think about it I find it makes me shudder. I guess you really had to know my Dad and the circumstances of the whole thing to understand it all, but it was most impressive to everyone there.

Please accept my belated condolences as well--if it's any comfort, remember that everyone dies, but not everyone lives, and by signing up to go into harm's way your loved one (I'm assuming military) lived more than a dozen typical Joe Sixpacks in his or her one brief lifetime.

*spiritual hug*

maggiethespy said:

D

demian

Almost anything "Fado".

Fado is a style canto Portuguese. Traditional.

Whenever I hear Amalia Rodriguez...forget it.

Nina Simone...several, but especially "Ne me Quitte Pas" .. an historic French song she sang.

For the girls (who are generally far more sensitive, intuitive, and artistic than men) I highly recommend giving her a listen when you have a chance, or if you are not familiar.

Also many forms of Flamenco. Particularly Jose Menese, one of the greatest voices of Flamenco:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6szfza4SQM

There is not music more genuine and honest...(also old school blues but it does not make me cry, but smile).

I suppose that I cry often?! Such a sensitive guy!?
Ciao.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I am not sure if anyone here knows it. It's a song from my (former) home-country, the GDR. Als ich fortging (means something like when I walked away) from a famous singer of that era, especially famous because of this song, Dirk Michaelis. You can hear a part of it in the background of his page: http://www.dirk-michaelis.de/

It's about the loss you feel, when you must leave loved things and loved ones behind.

Another one is from the same time, but from a band called Lift. It's called Nach Süden (To the south) and was something like a hymn of many eastern germans for the wish to leave the borders and the country behind. I have heard that a lot in my childhood, because it was one of the favorite bands of my father.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
JazzBaby said:
The aria that always makes me weepy is E Lucevan le stelle from Tosca. Especially sung by Mario Lanza.

Lanza overdoes it for my taste, but then so does Caruso. I prefer Bonci's waxing, and at times, even the German translation when sung by Slezak.

Stride la Vampa always sends a chill down my spine when sung well. My favorite version is that by Rosa Olitzka.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy