Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source for braces buttons

Trint

New in Town
I'm searching, locally and on the net, without any success to find a source for good buttons for braces/suspenders.
I've bought, from Bromleys in the UK, some Albert Thurston braces that comes with a set of buttons but they don't seem to be available separately.
I did buy a set of clip on buttons which are useless trouser destroyers.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I'm looking for a source, too. Color doesn't matter. So far I've been using just any buttons that were about the right size.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
While these are not vintage they are suspender/brace buttons, I got mine from Jo-Ann fabrics locally, 1 set in black, 1 in white. Since I cant find them on the Jo-anns site, I did find them elsewhere. Heres 2 links, not sure if they come in any other colors but its a start. I sew mine inside so I used black on my black pants, & on 2 pairs of greys (1 dk grey, 1 mid/shale grey) I used a pr of white & a pr of black since that was what I had handy.

http://www.pacifictrimming.com/default/fashion-suspender-button-4-holes-hook-lamode1692.html

http://www.pacifictrimming.com/default/button/lamode/fashion-button-4-holes-hook-lamode161.html

If you look closely at the bottom edge of the paper slip it says Suspender Buttons It sort of under the last pr of buttons, they are 3/4" in size & sort of flat on one side but a slight center ridge on the other to help the leather support piece fit in. My seamstress gave me a plain set of white buttons since that is what she uses (shrugs), just flat 3/4' disks, they work okay for me but I dont wear the same pants every day so the stress isnt that great.

Good luck.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Trent,
I see you in my dads ancestors homeland, as a side note it seems La Mode is a french (was a french?) company so you may be able to find them on your side of the pond a bit better. This way you dont get nailed by import charges & whatnot from my links (company is based in NY).

Sorry bout that.

DamianM

Vendor
Try B. Black and Sons online I can go to the store and buy a bag of them for about $3.00
Since 1923 and Where Hollywood gets its wools.

The overcoat for johnny Depp was made from wool sourced here. 100% camel hair

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Try B. Black and Sons online I can go to the store and buy a bag of them for about $3.00
Since 1923 and Where Hollywood gets its wools.

The overcoat for johnny Depp was made from wool sourced here. 100% camel hair

We had a Fedora Lounge event about 5 years ago, part of which involved going to B. Black and Sons and speaking with the owners, as well as looking at all their wares. Great place.

DamianM

Vendor
10013956_637913492910798_2120098876_n.jpg

Yes sir. The best wools are in the second floor.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
I'm curious as to why my suggestion would only work on an american suit Baron?
Granted, the company I mentioned is american, that was my mistake, but the buttons themselves appear to be made in France.

Are european braces that different from american suspenders? :p Short of what they are called, heh.

Last edited:

Burma Schave

One of the Regulars
I'm curious as to why my suggestion would only work on an american suit Baron?
Granted, the company I mentioned is american, that was my mistake, but the buttons themselves appear to be made in France.

Are european braces that different from american suspenders? :p Short of what they are called, heh.

I believe that BK was saying that European brace buttons are different from American brace buttons. He's right about that. European brace buttons tend to have a slightly larger diameter, and their surface is differently shaped. The outward side is a little bit concave, with a flat circular border.

timothyleighton

New in Town
I have tons of vintage ones and can put matching sets together for anyone who's interested.

Hi Baron,

Long time lurker and admirer of wherever the heck you dig up such amazing bits of old menswear. Maybe you can help me. I am looking for a single Burton branded braces button. It's for a suit which is in amazing nick apart from missing the one button. Obviously I just have a plain button in its place. And obviously no one can ever see it. And obviously even if they could I don't think they'd spot it. And even if they did spot I can't imagine them giving a toss. But I know it's there and it's driving me crazy. I'll happily buy one off you if you've got one.

Yes, that drives me mad too. I have a few Burton's braces buttons - what colour do you need?

I don't think you can message here. Maybe drop me a line over at my blog

Hi Baron,

Long time lurker and admirer of wherever the heck you dig up such amazing bits of old menswear. Maybe you can help me. I am looking for a single Burton branded braces button. It's for a suit which is in amazing nick apart from missing the one button. Obviously I just have a plain button in its place. And obviously no one can ever see it. And obviously even if they could I don't think they'd spot it. And even if they did spot I can't imagine them giving a toss. But I know it's there and it's driving me crazy. I'll happily buy one off you if you've got one.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183