Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sourdough Bread????

Magus

Practically Family
I just saw a claim that stated, "Do you know what is the best thing to use to clean any beaver or felt hat? Sourdough Bread!"

Thoughts?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That's rich

"The average person may not know that many parts of a Volkswagen are edible.."

Euell Gibbons (ok, not really)
gibbons.gif

Magus

Practically Family
Nowwwww ART....

Well Art...I could tell ya...But I'd

(no...NOT have ta kill ya...lol)

It is on a curent EBay auction for a hat. And, since the rules of the site clearly that we ar not to directly reference them...well...you know...I am still "New in Town" status. I can't even PM someone for Pete's sake...you think I am going to take a chance by breaking a rule!?

Seriosly though...the listing just made that claim so I cut and paste...because I have never head anything like it.

BTW...off this topic...and since I am guessing you will read this...and since I can't PM you. Art....Any thoughts/help/direction on my question regarding reshaping and taking a hat down a size? (had ta sneak that in!...lol)

Magus

EricH

One of the Regulars
I find that with the French felts a baguette works much better. Seriously, though, the silverfish lurking in my house would find my hats a lot tastier with bread crumbs. I think I'll avoid that suggestion.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Magus said:
Well Art...I could tell ya...But I'd

(no...NOT have ta kill ya...lol)

It is on a curent EBay auction for a hat. And, since the rules of the site clearly that we ar not to directly reference them...well...you know...I am still "New in Town" status. I can't even PM someone for Pete's sake...you think I am going to take a chance by breaking a rule!?

Seriosly though...the listing just made that claim so I cut and paste...because I have never head anything like it.

BTW...off this topic...and since I am guessing you will read this...and since I can't PM you. Art....Any thoughts/help/direction on my question regarding reshaping and taking a hat down a size? (had ta sneak that in!...lol)

Magus

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6638

They have lowered the number of posts to 15....so unless i really cant count...you can indeed PM people now...

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have read that years ago. If you don't have a hatter readily available you are supposed to crumble up stale sourdough bread and rub it into your hat, then brush away the crumbs. The reason is the dryness soaks up any oil, sweat, grease that may be in there. Also the yeast, or something, in the bread kills dust mites. Or something like that. I cant find where I read that (being it was a few years ago now) but when I do I will post it. But if someone knows better feel free to correct me.
:)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
AHHH... now I understand Magus!!! no problem. This crumbling dry french actually makes some sense as it gives you an abrasive to use. Thats the upside. THe downside has been listed above re: bait. What they don't mention is that it can ONLY be for light colored hats. There is a powder on the market commercially that is similar to kitty litter ( smaller bits) and absorbs the dirt while using a white sponge (see Hat cleaning tips on the sticky thread at the top of Hats section)( also sold commercially) but there are warnings all over the jar saying "light hats only". Me, not believing everything I read, tried it early in my hatting experience on darker hats and played heck trying to get the color back to the hat. Hmmm, maybe I should believe them:)
As to decreasing the size of a hat Magus, it depends on the amount it needs to shrink. If you can't make up the space with leather/cotton/dollar bills behind the leather, then the hat has to be completely disassembled and reblocked to a smaller size to be right. It can be done in your kitchen if you are creative, but without the proper equipment it's pretty tough to get it right.

Magus

Practically Family
Thanks Art...it is a $12 hat and just a size too large...I will slip some leather scrap strap behind the sweatband and move on down the road. It has two small bashes on the front of the crown that I will take out with steam and a bottle (or wooden spoon). I was fiddling with the brim...not really liking any of the positions I put it in and by chance put it down all the way around (like a fishing hat).

So now...when I want to get my Latino Gangsta groove thang going...I have the hat! (Pics of Tall whiteboy in Latio Gangsta attire to follow...lol )

More Hat recipies!

Fedora filet lightly breaded and deep fried to a delicious, golden brown. Serve with a scrumptious garlic mayonaise dip or Ranch Dressing. Only 240 calories per serving.

Newsboy Cap sauteed in butter and olive oil with garlic, fresh squeezed lemon juice and capers served over pasta bowties add parmesean cheese.

Cowboy Hat Jerky Strips.....

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I just bought some of that 'magic white powder and sponge'. It acutally removed good ol' Alabama red clay from a silver belly hat. I was amazed.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
If my memory serves me well,......

johnnycanuck said:
I have read that years ago. If you don't have a hatter readily available you are supposed to crumble up stale sourdough bread and rub it into your hat, then brush away the crumbs. The reason is the dryness soaks up any oil, sweat, grease that may be in there. Also the yeast, or something, in the bread kills dust mites. Or something like that. I cant find where I read that (being it was a few years ago now) but when I do I will post it. But if someone knows better feel free to correct me.
:)

..it's an old draftsman's trick, used to clean up any residual graphite smudges on a drawing. But, as hats are much the same as fine paper,(that is to say , that they are made up of fine natural fibers) then it would follow that you could use it to clean a hat without causing damage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart