Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spade's Desk Lighter in The Maltese Falcon: Ronson Touch Tip

Levallois

Practically Family
Ronson Touch Tip Table Lighter

Well, I've got to get one of these lighters for my "ode to the 1930s" desk top but I don't know much about them. I just saw one in the movie "Libeled lady" (1936) with William Powell, Spencer Tracy, Myrna Loy and Jean Harlow - the hotel scene near the beginning with Powell buying cigarettes and then lighting one with a Ronson on the counter - the metal wick has a chain on it so people don't walk off with it. I know folks talk about these being in the "Maltese Falcon" too.

Anyway, does anyone have one that can tell me if they can still be used in this day and age but with butane rather than petrol? How easy are they to maintain? Do they break easily and how hard is it to get parts? Thanks!

John

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
For what it's worth I have a Ronson Touch-Tip lighter. I've used it for years. I just had to clean it up when I got it. The worst thing to clean up is getting the old flints out. They really seem to degrade with age. I've even had to use a magnifier and needle to clean the debree from the striker wheel. They're nifty.

mambokurt

New in Town
Hi everyone,
I am French and I just purchased one of these in Paris at a antics items show. Pretty close to the one in 'The Maltese Falcon' except mine has a larger clock it seems.
I got this for €400 which at the current exchange rate is $450. It's in pretty good shape but the seller had no idea if it actually works which didn't stop me from buying it since it's very hard to find an actual Touch and Tip in Europe.
ronson (2).jpg

To find out I need to refill it but I actually have no idea how to. The 'button' does make a spark when pressed with the 'stick' (excuse my English) which is a good sign but still.
I read in this very topic that I should use ligher fluid (like the one for zippos?) but I'm just not sure where to pour it and I can't find the info anywhere on the web.
Any other user advices/maintenance tips would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help

Levallois

Practically Family
Mambokurt,

That is a beautiful Ronson! I don't know anything about them but you have motivated me to get one finally.
Best,
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana