Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of hair, hotroller recommendations?

Barbara

One of the Regulars
This has been the best thread! I have new hope that I too, can have nice hair on ordinary days! Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. I'm going to start with the hot sticks and see how they work. I've heard a lot about the Caruso rollers and would actually like both, but will cool my heels for now.

One question, how damaging is setting lotion if you use it on a regular basis? I always find that the smelliest stuff works the best, but has anyone got any recommendations. Also on hairspray. Any recommendations? I doubt I'll get my hotsticks in time for a dance we're going to this Saturday, but can't wait to try them out, once I figure out where to buy them here.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Setting lotion is not damaging at all (frequent hot styling tool use can be though.)

My favorite setting lotion is Lottabody, and my favorite hair spray is Aussie Instant Freeze (this stuff works great on hard to curl hair and for windy or humid environments!)

I also forgot to mention that Hot Sticks turn up all the time on eBay--might want to check that source out, too.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
The rag rollers you mentioned didn't do a thing for me. I actually have a set that I used twice before going back to the hot sticks [huh]

Really? I'm sorry! They worked very well for me, but my hair takes a curl very easily. It's not particularly thick or fine or curly or straight, and since it is so in-between it takes tools pretty well.

I think the remington rags are the same curlers LolitaHaze posted pictures of when she did her fabulous Rita hair. I'm not so proficient at arranging them for optimum uniformity.

xoxo
BV

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
I get fine results with regular rag curlers, made from a cut up t-shirt--they just look funny when you have them in your hair lol

Heh! I love those! I made mine with scraps of cotton left over from a sewing project. (My fiance once opened the cabinet and all 150 of them fell on him. I ... really only needed like maybe 20, but I didn't know that when I started making them.) But I know a girl who made them out of a hot pink t-shirt so they'd look "cute" when she wore them out of the house. Oh my. I don't think I could leave the house like that! ^_^

i have trouble with regular rag curlers. I'm not very deft with them and I wind up wrapping too tightly and come out with a giant head of curls that I can't brush out. They'll just eat the brush! I only tried a couple times though, before my mom sent me the pink things and they worked for me so I didn't keep practicing and become good at regular rags.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It's easier to use rag curlers if the strips are cut wider--about 1-1.5 inches wide, and about 6 inches long.

But I know a girl who made them out of a hot pink t-shirt so they'd look "cute" when she wore them out of the house. Oh my. I don't think I could leave the house like that! ^_^

I can truthfully say that I would never do that, no matter how cute the curlers were lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Daisy, if the curlers you did buy don't work out for you, I have set of the rag curlers you are welcome to try.
Thank you so much, that is so sweet. I have a set of rag rollers that I bought at a local pharamcy. I've only used them once. I think they are different from the ones you have. They look shorter. I think they call them pillow rollers. They have foam inside them. They were pretty easy to use, but the curls came out funny. I think the Remington ones are a lot nicer. Thanks again for the offer, I'll definitely let you know if I want to give them a try.
I'm really hoping the curlers I bought work. I already have too many sets of non-functioning rollers taking up limited space in my powder room.
I think this has been mentioned before, but my hair takes a much better curl when it isn't clean. I know this might seem gross to some. But, if I wash and dry my hair the night before I set it, it takes a curl better than trying to set my hair when it has just been washed.
I know for some, setting a curl is best with a wet head and a full nights sleep. But, I typically lose motivation in the evening to set said curls. I'm hoping that the steam rollers will make things easier. With some setting lotion a mixture of mousse and gel, and a hair net in to sleep in , I'm hoping I'll get at least two days from these curls.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
decodoll said:
Oh, yeah? I work in the financial district, so it's entirely possible. That's cute. :) Do you work in this area too?

I work near the financial district, in either South Beach, or South of Market, depending on who you talk to.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I think this has been mentioned before, but my hair takes a much better curl when it isn't clean. I know this might seem gross to some. But, if I wash and dry my hair the night before I set it, it takes a curl better than trying to set my hair when it has just been washed.

I only wash my hair every three days or so, and the sets take great on days 2-3. I think modern women wash their hair more, so not washing it every day seems gross. It's really not though :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Same here --- never more often than every other day, otherwise my hair gets very very stripped and brittle and unmanageable. And when I do wash it, I don't overdo things -- I lather *once*, rinse, and then add conditioner. If you wash your hair till it's "squeaky clean," basically you've taken off all the natural oils it needs to stay healthy. So don't do that!

decodoll

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
I work near the financial district, in either South Beach, or South of Market, depending on who you talk to.

Sounds like we work very near one another. I'm just half a block South of Market.

As for the hair washing, I've tried to skip more than a day, and my hair just can't do it. I wish I could. My curls just go limp instantly, and it feels icky.

magneto

Practically Family
LizzieMaine said:
Same here --- never more often than every other day, otherwise my hair gets very very stripped and brittle and unmanageable.
!

Ditto. (...and I knew I found the right vintage-minded hairdresser when, while he was setting my hair and asked "how often do you wash your hair?" I replied "er, once every 3 days" and he said, "good!") :)

waingirl

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
Setting lotion is not damaging at all (frequent hot styling tool use can be though.)

My favorite setting lotion is Lottabody, and my favorite hair spray is Aussie Instant Freeze (this stuff works great on hard to curl hair and for windy or humid environments!)

I also forgot to mention that Hot Sticks turn up all the time on eBay--might want to check that source out, too.

jitterbugdoll, where can I find that kind of setting lotion?

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
magneto said:
Ditto. (...and I knew I found the right vintage-minded hairdresser when, while he was setting my hair and asked "how often do you wash your hair?" I replied "er, once every 3 days" and he said, "good!") :)

Magneto, I know this is rather :eek:fftopic: but who is your hairstylist? In the Bay Area?

Rosie

One Too Many
Washing my hair the no poo way http://motowngirl.com/no_shampoo.php

is the best thing I could have ever done. Again, I know we all have different hair types but, basic rules are in order for all of us. Like many of you have mentioned, over use of shampoo strips the hair and makes it in a word, icky especially those with naturally curly hair. I only shampoo my hair with real shampoo a few times a year. The rest of the time, I use conditioner as shampoo. My hair is much healthier for it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Rosie said:
Washing my hair the no poo way http://motowngirl.com/no_shampoo.php

is the best thing I could have ever done. Again, I know we all have different hair types but, basic rules are in order for all of us. Like many of you have mentioned, over use of shampoo strips the hair and makes it in a word, icky especially those with naturally curly hair. I only shampoo my hair with real shampoo a few times a year. The rest of the time, I use conditioner as shampoo. My hair is much healthier for it.

A friend told me about this and I tried it for a few months but my dandruff went nuts when before I used burdock root old to oil my scalp after cleaning my hair. I liked the way it made my hair feel, but after a few weeks of doing it, my scalp got yuckie no matter how much I 'washed'. I also use an anti frizz lotion (Dove's right now) to calm the fro-ness of my do, and its grand. I wash my hair about once every 5-7 days. It can take upwards of 6 hours to 'do' my do, otherwise Id wash it evey 4 days.

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
A friend told me about this and I tried it for a few months but my dandruff went nuts when before I used burdock root old to oil my scalp after cleaning my hair. I liked the way it made my hair feel, but after a few weeks of doing it, my scalp got yuckie no matter how much I 'washed'. I also use an anti frizz lotion (Dove's right now) to calm the fro-ness of my do, and its grand. I wash my hair about once every 5-7 days. It can take upwards of 6 hours to 'do' my do, otherwise Id wash it evey 4 days.

LD

For icky dandruff (I can get it bad girl, yuck) make a spritz use hot water and rosemary leaves, let that seep for a bit to make a "tea", drain the tea leaving rosemary behind, add coconut oil and a drop or two of pure peppermint oil, result is shiny hair and no dandruff! Also, oil your scalp with soft shea butter, coconut oil and haloi oil swithching up every day.

Also, do a sugar scrub on your scalp before no pooing your hair to exfoliate. Take a few tablespoons of white sugar and mix with diluted conditioner to make a paste and work it into your scalp, this works a lot.

Truthfully, you know your hair best but when rocking the fro, you usually shouldn't wash your hair more than once a week, it's a no no for us corkscrew curl girls. If you do wash more than once a week, it should only be twice a month and, put your hair into 6 or 8 big twists to cut down on breakage. We curly girls have very fragile hair, be good to your crown you know it's your glory. ;)

Barbara

One of the Regulars
I'm a little confused on which brand of Hot Sticks works the best. I see there are some out by Clairol and Conair. One is discontinued and the other is not? Can anyone advise before I go shopping? Thanks! Who has tried both brands? Do they work the same? Thanks

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Barbara--I would recommend Conair's version; these turn up quite readily on eBay.

waingirl--I found Lottabody at Sally Beauty.

As for the hair washing, I've tried to skip more than a day, and my hair just can't do it. I wish I could. My curls just go limp instantly, and it feels icky.

This is how I used to feel--it just felt gross not to wash my hair every day. However, once I broke the habit and I got used to the idea, I found that my hair was much less oily and healthier overall. It holds cold sets very well, even on days two and three :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy