Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some help with hair, please?

Adelaide2

New in Town
Hi! I'm currently doing Guys and Dolls at my high school, and me and two of my other friends are responsible for doing every girl's hair (about 20). We want it to be as authentic as possible, but also quick and easy, since three people having about an hour and a half to do 20 people's hair doesn't sound too fun. I've browsed the boards a bit and we have some ideas. But we have some people with pin-straight hair, some with really long hair, and some with really short hair. We asked them all to come in with it curled, or at least with volume - but beyond there we're at a loss for some of it. So, do you have any ideas about quick, easy hair styles (but ones that hold), what to do with long/short hair or straight hair, or maybe the best way to curl it (right now we have hot rollers, sponge rollers, and curling irons. Which works best? Some of us can also do pin curls). Thank you so much! And sorry for the paragraph.

D

Deleted member 12480

Hey Adelaide2!

(Loving the name - i'm guessing you got it from Guys and Dolls?lol )

Welcome to the lounge!

My school also recently did Guys and Dolls and i am a big fan of that film so what i'd suggest is i would have all three of you put the gals in rollers, or curl their hair and then 'roll' up the curl and pin it there. Then i'd mist them all liberally with hairspray. Then take it out and use the 'curls' to start off with.

For adelaide you might want to try rolling parts of her hair upwards all over her head to look slightly perm-ish, unless of course she has short hair, with a side parting. If not you could try doing some BIG rolls and things - maybe a big front roll, rolling her fringe upwards so its a bit like a quiff.

Sarah brown has got to look more toned down so if she's short haired then curl all her hair away from her face and brush them out gently. If its longer try a 'sensible looking' bun at the back of her head, not too tight with any fringe pinned loosely away from her face.

For the hotbox girls i would go for something similar to adelaide - for example a high, curled ponytail with a rolled fringe.

For the mission girls try a quick french plait or a low bun or something 'sensible' looking for longer hair and do something similar to sarah brown for the girls with short hair.

Any girls with a full fringe, just curl it under using straightening irons or a curling iron. Also, for medium to long hair, just pinning a side or both sides up slightly (like, taking the front part of the hair and pulling it back to above your ear and pinning) Can really vintage-y up a curly hairdo.

experiment on yourself first it helps.
Also I'd like to suggest that once you take the girls curls out you can get one of you to re-curl any that have dropped and the other two then start on styling (think conveyor belt style?)

good luck and definitely check youtube for things like

vintage waves

victory rolls

front roll

bang roll

40s hairstyle

50s hairstyle

http://www.youtube.com/user/superkawaiimama#p/u/19/Dn3pFjAlehM

that video i find it brilliant and very easy.

Also if you are given a budget to buy stuff i would recommend getting a LOT of bobby pins/hair grips etc and a BIG can of hairspray

good luck!

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
For curling their hair.. Id highly suggest having the girls set their hair in sponge rollers overnight. It's easy and less time consuming. Plus, when they arrive in the morning, all you really need to do is brush out and style.
thats what I had my bridesmaids do for my wedding since I was doing their hair in the morning. I didnt want to spend all that time curling their hair and styling AND doing my hair & makeup. It really made my life a whole lot easier. =)
hope that helps

Adelaide2

New in Town
Thanks guys! I'll be showing the other hair people this as well. It really has helped. We're going to see who has sponge curlers available and also look at some of the styles deleteduser suggested - as well as checking out the youtube link.

(And yes, the name is from the show - my character, actually lol. I'm bad at coming up with usernames)

D

Deleted member 12480

you're playing adelaide - thats amazing you lucky gal!
xxx

Adelaide2

New in Town
So, we closed last night. Sorry I didn't get these up sooner, it was kind of busy haha. I didn't get as many good 'hair' pictures as I had hoped, most were just us goofing off, but oh well. I think we got less and less accurate as time went on. But as promised, here are some pictures

Oh! I should explain first - the 4 leads were double casted, so you'll see pictures of two different Adelaides and Sarahs. I only got one Sky picture that I stole from a friend.

So, Sky and Sarah1

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Harry the Horse and Sarah1

Guys%20and%20Dolls

General (hair isn't totally done yet) and Arvine (before graying her up)

Guys%20and%20Dolls

General and two mission dolls

Guys%20and%20Dolls

One of our amazing ensemble members

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Adelaide1 and me(offnight)

Guys%20and%20Dolls

We pinned back the Adelaide's hair for the second act, but I don't have a picture of her with second act hair.

Adelaide2(me) and Sarah2

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Adelaide2 act 2 hair (excuse the somewhat graininess of the picture, it has been cropped)

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Bushel girls

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Mink under

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Pet me Poppa

Guys%20and%20Dolls

Is there a way to make them not links? I'm a little unfamiliar with this lol

D

Deleted member 12480

when you post a reply somewhere near the top is a 'picture' icon. Then you can paste the link into the box it gives you. Could you do that? I can't seem to view the links. Also i think the IMG code works on photobucket xxx

Adelaide2

New in Town
Got it! Thanks

So, same order.

Sky1 and Sarah1

sky.jpg

Sarah1 and Harry the Horse

HTHsarah.jpg

General and Arvine

generalarvine.jpg

One of our lovely ensemble members

IMG_0818.jpg

Adelaide1 and me(offnight)

IMG_0814.jpg

Adelaide2 and Sarah2

IMG_0823.jpg

Adelaide act 2 hair

mink-1.jpg

Bushel girls

IMG_0817.jpg

Mink under

IMG_0821.jpg

Pet me Poppa

IMG_0820.jpg

D

Deleted member 12480

wow, you did a brilliant job!

And you did pet me poppa, haha! We didn't do that one.

The victory rolls are brilliant.

xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran