Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of hair, hotroller recommendations?

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Hi Daisy, where did you find the rollers for sale? We're going to Spain for Christmas, so maybe I should opt for the travel set.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I am not sure where Daisy found her set, but I purchased mine at Sally Beauty. And I found the travel set at a thrift store (for $4)--I have heard from others saying they've found them at different thrift stores as well, so that may be worth a shot.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I've used Caruso rollers for years, and can never get my curl to last in the darn San Francisco fog and wind. 5 minutes outside, and my hair goes limp. The only setting method I've ever had good luck with is sponge curlers, and even with those, I tend to pin my hair up so the curl will last. But, sponge curlers are hard on your hair, while Carusos are very gentle.

I love the look of a pageboy that has been pincurled, but - again - the darn Bay Area weather. I save that hair style for when I visit my family in Arizona, or when I travel to other dry areas.

Has anyone ever used Lock 'n Roll setters? They're essentially hot spoolies, and they sell a ton of them on ebay. It would be great if they worked enough to set my hair prior to styling it with a million bobby pins. Any reviews?

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Jitterbugdoll. That's what I figured, as my own experience with spoolies was pretty bad. I need to stop being such a sucker for fun-looking hair stuff!

decodoll

Practically Family
That's been my experience with Spoolies as well. I saw a new roller by Goody over the weekend at Safeway. They were called Spood'les. They looked like a soft spongey hot stick. You put a hard plastic stick through the center so that you can roll your hair onto them and then as far as I could tell, part of the roller fold down over your hair to keep it in place. The instructions seemed a bit confusing. Then you take the hard plastic piece back out so that you can sleep in them. Plus you don't loop them back up to hook like a hot stick. They just hang straight down from your head. I kinda had doubts about them staying in, but looked interesting.

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
When my hair was long (and I was younger:) ) I used the Caruso rollers exclusively. They had just come out, and you needed salt in the water for the steam . This was the early '90's and I used to wear my hair in a pageboy. The set lasted forever and I used them until they were finally worn out this year and bought a new travel set ( don't need the salt anymore:) ). I still use them when I don't have time to set my hair and for me, they work great. If you use the "petite" size you get a very tight curl.

Barbara - I know what it's like to have a toddler around, and not much time to do anything, these will give you a quick set and it will look good and last.

Add me to the list of unsatisfied Spoolie customers:mad: I am also a sucker for any type of hair do dad, curlers, pins/styling products, you name it, I buy it. The Spoolies were a joke, they slid right out, even though I tied a scarf around my head.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Hey Decodoll,
My coworker just saw your photo and thinks he saw you this morning downtown. He looked at your hair and thought, "hey, Rebecca would like that."

As for setting lotion, do you gals wait for it to dry completely before using your hot sticks? Or do you allow it to dry while the hot stick are in your hair?

decodoll

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Hey Decodoll,
My coworker just saw your photo and thinks he saw you this morning downtown. He looked at your hair and thought, "hey, Rebecca would like that."

As for setting lotion, do you gals wait for it to dry completely before using your hot sticks? Or do you allow it to dry while the hot stick are in your hair?

Oh, yeah? I work in the financial district, so it's entirely possible. That's cute. :) Do you work in this area too?

I've never used the setting lotion with the hot sticks. I'd be curious to hear how you do it too, Jitterbugdoll.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've never used the setting lotion with the hot sticks. I'd be curious to hear how you do it too, Jitterbugdoll.

I mix my setting lotion with water and keep it in a spray bottle. I spritz about three squirts of the mixture into my hands, rub them together, and then work through my hair with my hands and then a brush.

Before I switched over to setting lotion, I used to mix a dollop of mousse and gel together and comb that mixture through my hair before using Hot Sticks. My hair curls and holds much better when I have some sort of setting lotion combed through, rather then just setting dry, clean hair.

decodoll

Practically Family
Thanks, Jitterbugdoll. You probably don't have to leave the rollers in any longer to allow your hair to dry since you use so little, right? I'm usually down to the wire in the morning, and don't really leave my rollers in as long as I probably should as it is. :rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Jitterbugdoll. You probably don't have to leave the rollers in any longer to allow your hair to dry since you use so little, right? I'm usually down to the wire in the morning, and don't really leave my rollers in as long as I probably should as it is.

I pop them in, and then do my makeup, get dressed, etc. Then I take them out after about 15 minutes--that usually does the trick :) And really, hairspray makes a huge difference in the curling process. My hair always turns out much better when I use it.

You want to avoid using too much setting lotion, as hot rollers are really meant for dry hair.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a bit off topic but does have to do with setting hair and hair appliances.
I recently bought a flat iron with a wave attachment in order to create a fingerwave looking wave at the top of my hair, leading into a pin curl. It is not a crimper, it does make a nice loose wave. Has anyone ever used a flat iron with a wave attachment? If so, what do you think? With a little coaxing I can create a wave that looks like a fingerwave, with a lot less trouble and time.

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks! I really like ReVamp not only for her clothes and service, but she has quite a nice amount of information on hair and clothing too.
Great link, never thought of using a round barrel to achieve the look.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I have a triple-barrel curling iron that I love. It creates a really interesting, hyper-shiny look on me. It's also great for if I'm in a *super* hurry. I can twist up the back of my hair, which is pretty thick and wavy on its own, and then I just use it to press the layered portions in front of my ears. It looks just like a clip-on attachment I had for a flat-iron I used in the 80s. Now my flat-iron and triple-barrel iron are two separate pieces. I don't like it that way at all. They take up too much space, and I always grab and plug in the wrong one by accident since they look so much alike.

Another set I like is the Rag Rollers by Remmington. They're puffy, hot-pink fabric rollers with wires inside to hold them in place. If you arrange them carefully they make great Rita Hayworth waves, but the uniformity helps keep me from the Hermione-in-a-light-socket effect i get when I wind rag curls too tightly. Also, they are smooshy enough to sleep on comfortably. They heat up too, but I prefer the way they look when I use them cold and sleep on them.

BV

Daisy Buchanan

BettyValentine said:
Another set I like is the Rag Rollers by Remmington. They're puffy, hot-pink fabric rollers with wires inside to hold them in place. If you arrange them carefully they make great Rita Hayworth waves, but the uniformity helps keep me from the Hermione-in-a-light-socket effect i get when I wind rag curls too tightly. Also, they are smooshy enough to sleep on comfortably. They heat up too, but I prefer the way they look when I use them cold and sleep on them. BV
I saw these on-line, but wasn't sure if they would work on my stubborn hair. They were also on the pricey side, and since I already bought both the hot sticks and the carusoe steam curlers, I thought it'd be best to give my wallet a rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran