Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of "Mistress": Why Older Women Are Better

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Enough said.......lol
But no-one has been brave enough to define when us ladies officially step into the "older bracket".........

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
For me, the bracket gets pushed ahead as I get older.

When I was 14, a very special 19 year-old girl seemed "older". When I was 18, a 26 year-old woman seemed "older". Then, when I turned 28, a 39 year old woman seemed "older". And when I reached 32, a 43 year old woman seemed "older".

Now, I'm married ... to a woman 10 years my junior. lol

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
For me, the bracket gets pushed ahead as I get older.

When I was 18, a 26 year-old woman seemed "older". Then, when I was 28, a 39 year old woman seemed "older". And when I reached 32, a 43 year old woman seemed "older".

Now, I'm married ... to a woman 10 years my junior. lol

That's so true! the goal posts move on as we get older, and we can never know who we will fall for.......:)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Yes, the whole age thing is kind of a moving target. I remember when my mother turned 30 I thought she was ancient -- and I couldn't imagine ever being such an antique myself. And now I see 30 year olds and I think "gee, get a load of the *kids.*"

I guess for me, it's not really a matter of the calendar as it is the idea of wanting a generational match. My ex was five years older than me, but we were still close enough agewise that we had the same basic set of childhood cultural references we could relate to. But for someone ten years older than me -- or ten years younger, there'd be enough of a difference where we wouldn't have those common generational memories, and I think it'd be harder for me to really feel comfortable in a relationship without that kind of foundation.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Interesting, Lizzie!

Although my wife is a decade younger than I am, she grew up in Chile during the Pinochet dictatorship. In those years, Chile was a very closed country and, for most of its citizens, a poor one. Unlikely benefits resulted: fruits, vegetables and even fish were cheaper than imported junk food, so poorer Chileans had a pretty good, healthy diet. There was practically nothing on TV (and not many people owned TVs anyway), so kids played outdoors ... and when they did watch TV, the cartoons for kids were 10-15 years older than those shown in the U.S.A.

Malls were few and far between, so weekend entertainment meant a bus trip downtown to see a movie in one of the old 1930s theaters. Few families had Atari or Nintendo. Instead, people met and had barbecues and afternoon teas. For years, there was a nightly curfew, so parties were held at home; no late night dance clubs or bars existed.

As a result, my wife seems more like someone who grew up in the '50s and '60s, rather than the '80s and '90s.

AllaboutEve said:
I don't think you really plan who you fall in love with do you?

Ah yes but some do. I have a friend whose brother was constantly persued by a girl even when he was about ten. She said she was going to marry him and he held her at arms length for years. We even used to make fun of him . He would say all kinds of things about why he wouldn't have anything to do with her. Long story short, they have been married for over six years now and have two children. :p lol One of these days I am going to get him alone and then have some more fun with the situation. :D
So, yes people do plan who they fall in love with sometimes. ;)

Regards,

J

Rosie

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I guess for me, it's not really a matter of the calendar as it is the idea of wanting a generational match. My ex was five years older than me, but we were still close enough agewise that we had the same basic set of childhood cultural references we could relate to. But for someone ten years older than me -- or ten years younger, there'd be enough of a difference where we wouldn't have those common generational memories, and I think it'd be harder for me to really feel comfortable in a relationship without that kind of foundation.

I agree with Lizzie here. I tend to date people who are older than me, at least by about 7 years and have gone as high as 23 years older. Truthfully, when guys in their twenties try to "pick me up", I'm usually like, "oh, he's a nice BOY" but a MAN? I just don't see them that way. [huh] My dad was 21 years older than my mom but, the down side of that is, he passed away while she is still relatively a young woman (I know none of us is promised life, etc. but you know what I mean) I've always thought that the man I married would be an older gentleman, I just don't seem to find my foundational (made up word) counterpart in people my age, I'm a little old-fashioned minded for them. :( One guy told me I was too nice and too moral for him. [huh]

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
I have always been attracted to older ladies. I have yet to find an older lady that would be willing to date a guy like me, though. My "boy-ish" looks don't help either.

I have tried to date women my age and they are always a headache. I suppose it doesn't help that I am supposedly years beyond my current age of 20. I am either "too old" or "too nice". And don't get me started with the GAMES and stupid arguments over nothing. :eusa_doh:

Who knows? Maybe I'll get lucky in a few years.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Rosie said:
One guy told me I was too nice and too moral for him. [huh]
That's a complement to you and shows that you deserve better than him. I'm going to quote an email I got today from a friend:

Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, they sometimes take the apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality, they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along, the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IVe never had luck with the fellas my own age. I think part of it has to do with me and how I grew up.

My mother was almost 40 when she had me, so I grew up with older parents. That can change your prespective on life. I remember listening to Smokey Robinson in elementary school when other girls were all into TLC.

I destinclty remember an episode in girl scouts where the adults were talking in one group, and the girls in another. My troop leader took me by the shoulders and marched me over to the girl group and out of the adult conversation. Ill never forget that.

But as for me and the fellas, thats a totally different story. I generally get hit on by older men, and I do mean hit on. The off color comments made are generally because they see me as a piece of a** and nothing else. Or I should be "grateful" that any man would look at me at all.

As a matter of fact, fellas my age have NEVER tried to talk me up. Im 28, is that bad? Maybe I have cooties. I dont know. I havent given up, Ive just stopped looking. Im a hopeless romantic, and I believe that someone is out there, but Im also practical, and I dont want him to be perfect.

As far as being older/ younger, there was a 7 year difference between my parents. I always said that age dosent matter, but LizzieMaine brought up a good point about the generational refrences. I would want that.

Oh, and ITG your quote on the women are like apple trees is great, but I know some apples at the top, make themselves fall to the ground so a fella will pick them up, instead of waiting for the right guy to climb the tree.

Sorry for the rambles . . .

LD

Rosie

One Too Many
Great quote ITG :eusa_clap thanks. I was raised by older parents too, Mom was 38, dad was 59, maybe that has something to do with how I am. Duh, never thought about that before. :eek:

Rosie said:
Great quote ITG :eusa_clap thanks. I was raised by older parents too, Mom was 38, dad was 59, maybe that has something to do with how I am. Duh, never thought about that before. :eek:

I can understand that. My father was 40 when I was born so it was not like he was going to let anything slide. I think older parents actually have a bit more knowledge to impart. It saves the children from having to run into those walls themselves later. ;) I know it helped me.

Regards,

J

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My grandfather was 10 years older than my grandmother. My grandmother was energetic and wanted to go out and dance; my grandfather wanted to stay home. Grandma's advice to her daughters (my mom and aunt): "Don't marry an older man!"

It seems that energetic people who like an active social life tend to be better off with younger people. My female friends are driven crazy (and not in a good way) by men who just want to hang out at home.

As for my aunt, she did marry someone older by about seven years. They both loved to dance and party, though; I think this helped them to be happy together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters