Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I just recently received my first pair of spectators, a special make-up order from Allen Edmonds, in chestnut and white (there's a thread on here somewhere that enticed me into ordering them...I'll see if I can find it). I totally dig 'em! :)

So much so that I a) wore them before Easter (gasp!), and b) ordered the black and white ones (stock Broadstreets) from AE (every bit as nice as the special order).

www.allenedmonds.com

cookie

I'll Lock Up
On-line Specs

They are cool but the price is a little different from the Magnoli jobs at USD250 made to measure. By the way is "high performance" code for cobbler leather?

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I agree with Mr. Jordan, with perhaps more enthusiasm; I am enamored with my Alfred Sargeant "Mellies," which are the brown and tan options above.

In an ideal world I'd have liked the black parts of mine to have been calf instead of corrected-grain, and the white parts suede rather than smooth, but this is really only nit-picking on my part. I do like them, honestly!

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
cookie said:
They are cool but the price is a little different from the Magnoli jobs at USD250 made to measure. By the way is "high performance" code for cobbler leather?

That's a good question...and would certainly affect any purchase decisions, wouldn't it?

Mr. Steve

New in Town
Shoes

I enjoy the Allen Edmonds the most. They feel the best on my feet. You may also want to look into Florsheim Imperial wingtips. Allen Edmonds are one of the best shoes I have ever put on. The Imperials have a look that is very vintage. Do to the price of these shoes I sugguest putting on a heal guard and toe guard. This will not change the look of the shoe at all and will protect both the heal and toe form uneven ware.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
21 Century Specs - NOT!

But its time for all the spectator tragics to snap out of our vintage obsession...and get with the program ..and move into the 21st century with some real spectators...

I know you all agree it's time for a change....

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
"From the dark depths of the Amazon, comes something so ferocious, no one dares take a step in the water....until you see these!"

I'm not a big fan of snakeskin, except for a pair of Chuck Taylors I once saw. Too exotic for me.

Marty M.

Vendor
Spec it out.

I appalude the effort. It's nice to see a designer thinking outside the box. There is a point where a spectator can go from elegance to costume.
Marty

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
There was no shortage of flashy two tone shoes made of exotic skings. Ofetne worn by hipsters, musicians and african americans. That is pretty much wo wears them now too. They never went out of style in that community.

I am kind of a purist though. Nothing but real vintage or a classic vintage reproduction will do for me.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've got a pair of modern style specs. They're not great, but they're not quite as bad as some of those.
As far as exotic skins, I had a pair of '80s "snakers" back when I still wore asize 10. Cool shoes. High tops, all snakeskin.

here's my new specs. click the picture if you really want to see them bigger. (And yes. I am wearing them with a pair of really ratty jeans in the picture)

I like 'em. Nothing non-golden-era about them, though they are a little reserved.

I've seen much stranger things photographed from the wardrobe of a certain M. Chevalier. And the Chenoune book has a wonderful picture of a display from a fashion show in the mid-30s showing much wilder shoes.

[edit] ahh, now all the pics are showing (for some reason i was only seeing the black/grey round toe ones before). Above only refers to the black/grey snake ones.

I'll agree that the squared off toe is a little wide on some of them for my taste. however, i truly love the chisel toe (see the fourth from left). My favourite pair of shoes is chisel toed. I'm just about to go to the expense of having them resoled/reheeled.

bk

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I can see Peter Lorre wearing a pair of those snake skin ones. Oily hair,oily looking shoes,oily disposition...

I like most of them,but would prefer a pointy toe over the box type. Also,they are a step up from the usual sport shoe default that most (U.S.) men rely upon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy