Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speed Graphic pics.

VisforVictory

New in Town
Greetings -

Some of you may have seen these on the WW2 Reenactors forum, but I wanted to share these with the lounge.

The Memorial Day Parade in Gettysburg, PA, as seen through my Speed Graphic.

Also, photos from the Fort Indiantown Gap event.

marcphotog.jpg

Enjoy!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Yo! Marc! The son I never had! The guy with the same name as my brother but still (weirdly) not him! Welcome to the Lounge, my friend! I need to get my Leathernecks back from you. Great pics (of course).
It's interesting to see the difference between pics taken with a real, of the era camera, and modern pics just rendered in black and white. The optical qualities of the Graphic are so different. The depth of field is a lot less, correct? So you only get a limited plane that's in focus. And genuine graininess is still better than artificial graininess.
Thanks for putting these up, Marc.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Awesome photos ! If it weren't for some of the contemporaries in the shots I would swear they were circa 1940s. I tried BW with a 35mm years ago it didn't have the same feel. I tried different ASAs they did not seem to work.
I was trying to get some grainy shots with 400 but that did not work. Maybe I should have used a vintage camera .

Stan

A-List Customer
DutchIndo said:
Awesome photos ! If it weren't for some of the contemporaries in the shots I would swear they were circa 1940s. I tried BW with a 35mm years ago it didn't have the same feel. I tried different ASAs they did not seem to work.
I was trying to get some grainy shots with 400 but that did not work. Maybe I should have used a vintage camera .

Hi,

Even that might not get quite what you want. Film emulsions are very different now than they were then. I do know what *does* work, though.

Use a Digital SLR's to produce a Raw, unprocessed output file from the camera and then post-process them in Photoshop CS while using 3rd party PS plug-in which is a nifty color to B&W converter.

Since the color information is present in the image, one can play with all sorts of filter controls to simulate any form of color filtering in front of the lens as was used with B&W film. The plug-in also allows for simulating any form of film grain characteristics one wishes. Any form of B&W film can be duplicated with realtive ease in this manner.

I use this scheme to produce B&W images of vintage race cars such that the resultant prints mimic what would have been produced back in the day when the cars first raced. I figure that it would also work equally well for re-enactment photos. :)

Stan

RudyN

One of the Regulars
I wish I had the Speed Graphics that I used in High School. They were a 4x5 and a 31/4 X 4 1/4 (I think). We used them for Yearbook pictures and also a bit for the school newspaper. This was back in the early 1960s. I graduated from high school in 1961.

Great PIX!

(Graflex?)

I love the look of the old press camera's.

I'd also like to have a Polaroid back and use the B&W instant film like they did for those restaurant / nightclub attendees pictures. They could be scanned into the PC later but you'd get to see how they came out right now.

Eyemo

Practically Family
Nice... Very nice!!.. Used Vintage gear myself, thats another story... Great social history stuff there mate!..Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL