Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B Parka USA Made (Japan Only)

normanf

One of the Regulars
I bought a Spiewak Golden Fleece N3B parka from Japan. Its the only place one can still get a USA-made parka. The company also sells waist length N2B parkas there as well.

The origin and content tags show its a lot different from the N3B parkas imported here:

img57356693.jpg

This was the parka I purchased - the black one on the left:

img59152023.jpg

The specs are:
Manufacturer SPIEWAK
Product Name Bespoke 1N3BFCO Japan
N-3B Flight Jacket
Color (003 BLACK) Black
(044 SAGE) Sage Green
Origin MADE IN USA
Material Surface: 100% nylon
Lining: 100% of polyester
Batting: 100% of polyester
Inside Hood: 100% Acrylic
Hood trim: 100% coyote fur

Mine was the 40 XL, which in Japan size is nearly an American 42 L. Its a very good jacket... high quality with a real fur ruff which isn't usually found on imported parkas. And I was happy to still find a quality modern repro classic parka still made in the USA!

subject101

One of the Regulars
Hey Normanf;

Is it warm under 10-15F? I've been looking for a N-3B but most of replicas out there are not good for real extreme cold weather and I didn't take the plunge. I wonder why real army contractors like Greenbrier or Lancer are not available anywhere.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Hey Normanf;

Is it warm under 10-15F? I've been looking for a N-3B but most of replicas out there are not good for real extreme cold weather and I didn't take the plunge. I wonder why real army contractors like Greenbrier or Lancer are not available anywhere.

As the product tag shown says, its rated for temperatures down to minus -40 F below zero. The coyote fur trim on the hood, unlike synthetic fur trim on all the imported versions here, will shed snow and ice and won't freeze when the temperatures plunge and when you zip it all the way up and push the hood forward, your face stays warm sealed from the elements.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Ok, thanks for the answer :)

Regarding that -40F tag, yes, original N-3Bs were made for extreme cold weather but they were heavier and stuffed with wool under the nylon layers. You actually can't go with a current Alpha N-3B and -40F outside because it's more a fashion garment than a real ECW Parka.

normanf

One of the Regulars
Ok, thanks for the answer :)

Regarding that -40F tag, yes, original N-3Bs were made for extreme cold weather but they were heavier and stuffed with wool under the nylon layers. You actually can't go with a current Alpha N-3B and -40F outside because it's more a fashion garment than a real ECW Parka.

The Spiewak Golden Fleece is made to the original mil specs. The polyester lining and polyester batting under the nylon layers is nearly as warm as with the wool in the original parka. This is nothing like the Alpha N-3B. This is a true extreme cold weather parka.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran