Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spirit of Australia/Wentworth - Pics? Good for hot weather?

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
I quite like the look of the Akubra Spirit of Australia and Wentworth and was thinking of getting one of these while the exchange rate is good. Would they be a good idea for temperatures that will easily reach 30+ deg C, and be humid?

There are vent holes in the Wentworth, but I remember someone saying that they were useless in a hat. True/false?

Does anyone own/have any pictures of either of these?

Thanks.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not have any of thoes hats but I do have a few with and without vent holes. I think the vent holes make a defference. But thats just me.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnycanuck said:
I do not have any of thoes hats but I do have a few with and without vent holes. I think the vent holes make a defference. But thats just me.

Yeah, mebee on the Prairie, Cowboy, but come on down h'yar to 90° @ 90% humidity, air so thick you feel as though you've been slapped in the face by a warm, wet towel each & every time you step out of the A.C. (Air Conditioning, btw, that thing what ya'll don't need!)
Of course we don't have to plug our cars in to keep the block from cracking, either. :eek: Life is a series of trade-offs, eh?

...gawd I could use a Peter's burger, fries & shake! Or just some Timbits

;)

So it sounds like the summer like where you are Dragon, I think a fur felt would be the death of me in such a climate. I'd look at straw.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I dunno, I have been wearing an Akubra Cattleman (unlined, with six ventilation grommets, in the off-white Sand color) as my summer hiking hat for the last three years, and I find it no hotter than a straw hat. (And don't kid yourself about being up north: NY has awful heat and humidity much of the time most summers.)

Notice that I didn't say that it's cooler than straw: make no mistake, I'm definitely sweating my brains out! But the fur-felt Cattleman really isn't any hotter than a straw hat, and it's an outstanding shade hat and amazingly tough. It laughs off rain, dirt, scratches, etc., and retains its shape beautifully. I don't worry about it like I do my Panama.

Anyway, that's been my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24