Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spitfire Women

AdrianLvsRocky

One of the Regulars
I recorded this programme a whil ago and just got round to watching it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tw1m1

Did anyone else see this? What an amazing documentary! Thoroughly enjoyed every second.

The things these women did were amazing, heroic and awe inspiring. And they were just so blase about it.

People were certainly made of sterner stuff back then!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
I enjoyed the book, but felt that the documentary was a wasted opportunity. The director was far too interested in the salacious details when they missed the real stories of women like Mary De Bunsen who overcame Polio and a heart condition to fly with the ATA and Chile Duhalde.
Hey ho. Do buy the book, it's a good read.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tigermoths & Spitfires

This reminds me, back in the early 90s, I flew an airshow in Denver, we had our SNJ5 there. There was this teen age kid we let stand on the wing and give little tours. This elderly couple came up, he was a Yank but she was clearly English, I asked if he wanted to look in, he said he didn't, but his wife did. I helped her up on the wing and she looked in, I new something was up by the way she stared into the cockpit. She finally said "I sure would love to fly this," the kid said with a typical smart mouth answer, "lady if you can start it, you can fly it!" She started laughing and so did her husband, he finally told us , she started the war delivering Tigermoths, and finished flying Spitfires! I wish I had thought of getting her name!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael