Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport Coat

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ok, so I'm thinking about getting a sport coat for summer. I'm thinking of something simple, something that will hopefully not make me sweat during the day, and that has an inside pocket that I can put my coat wallet in.

I'm thinking of something khaki, but I'm not sure because I wear khaki pants quite often. I also often wear khaki style pants that are gray in color. So, I'm not sure if a tan or khaki colored sport coat would go with khaki pants.

I'll be wearing this to school mainly (I'm 42 and going back to school). I don't want to look "old" but I do want to look my age: mature and classic.

What about shoes? Probably cordovan or oxblood penny loafers or regular loafers. So, I'm thinking casual, but not sloppey.

I did see this, but I'm not sure:
erez

It's from J. Crew. I'm a big guy, so the trick is finding something that will fit. Here is the link to where it's at, so you can see the lining: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~22482/22482.jsp

I'm open to any suggestions.
thanks in advance!!!!

Big_e

Practically Family
That sportcoat and the color looks great but would be a problem with khakis. I would look for a dark brown sportcoat. I wear khakis alot too and get the most use out of my dark brown coat and it's lightweight too. Dark brown and/or black is a good color to have for everyday use.
Ernest

Dave Carrigan

New in Town
Ok, so I'm thinking about getting a sport coat for summer. I'm thinking of something simple, something that will hopefully not make me sweat during the day, and that has an inside pocket that I can put my coat wallet in.

If it's your only sport coat, tan is not your best choice because it really limits your color of trousers. Brown is more flexible, but not everybody looks good in brown, so it might not be suitable for you. Black is not very flexible; I would recommend against that. Your best bet might be a navy blazer with light-colored buttons; maybe a cream or white horn, but definitely not gold or brass.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Your best bet might be a navy blazer with light-colored buttons; maybe a cream or white horn, but definitely not gold or brass.
I agree. Single breasted in linen (or linen/cotton) would be a very versatile choice for spring/summer. And blue horn buttons would work as well.

b0f3f0a38c.jpeg

And FYI, you should try not to shop for clothes at the beginning of the season , best to wait until the end of the season when they're discounted by 50% or more. ;)

carldelo

One Too Many
Linen or even tropical wool in a loose weave will be cooler than a cotton jacket. As far as color, a neutral dark taupe or brown with olive tones will go with most things. I've always found a navy blazer to be formal looking, for some reason - although most people don't think this way.

For example, looking at the J. Crew site you referenced, I think this jacket in dark brown herringbone linen would look better with khaki:

erez

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/Ludlowsportcoats/PRDOVR~33995/33995.jsp

There are a variety of browns fall under the term camel as in camel hair. Navy Blue is a good color too.
J C Penny's sometimes will have larger sizes in stock.

To me both of the J.Crew pictures have that "I am still growing so this jacket is just a little too small and the sleeves too short" look giving a disheveled appearance.

Last edited:

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Wow, very good point. I just thought that the models were wearing the jackets that way. I'm looking for something classic, relaxed, and maybe something that Ernest Hemingway would wear. I've checked my local J.C. Penny's in Burnsville. I guess I may have to go to the Mall of America. Ewwwwww

carldelo

One Too Many
Well, the stylist has simply put slightly too-small jackets on skinny models - there's no reason you have to do that. But those jackets are described as modern trim-fit, so will probably look small unless you're trim yourself. I think your best bet is to go to an old-fashioned department store and see what they have for grownups - Macys at the low end, Bloomingdales and Nordstrom at the high end in the MofA. You should be able to find a decent lightweight jacket at Macys, probably on sale as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24