Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stampede Strings, Wind Trolleys and Super Glue: How do you keep your hat on?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Has anyone's dress weight fedora come off in the wind?

Most certainly.
There are few things sillier looking than a man chasing his hat down the street.
Therefore, I have long thought it foolish to wear a wide brimmed hat on windy days.
That's what wind trolleys and chin straps are for, or, better yet, very small brims, heavy bowlers, caps, and berets.

If you absolutely must wear a wide brimmed hat in a stiff breeze, I heartily recommend using glue. It worked for Indiana Jones, as I can offer no other explanation as to how his hat nearly never came off throughout everything that he went through.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To me it is all about angling my head into the wind...
... then holding on if I have to
Yep. Always keep a hand ready to grab. And if it's really windy or gusty there's no shame in holding on to it. If you have a wind trolley use it. A good sweat that has some grip to it and angling according to the wind have helped me the most. Rear gusts are your worst enemy since the sweat doesn't stick to hair.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
My hat isn't so tight that it leaves a mark on my head and I had a hat leave my head. Lowering your head certainly stops the feeling that it might fly off, having a hand ready is also a good idea.
Maybe a little padding behind the sweatband so it's 'just right' will hold it in place. You could always sew a wind trolley in?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Most certainly.
There are few things sillier looking than a man chasing his hat down the street.
Therefore, I have long thought it foolish to wear a wide brimmed hat on windy days.
That's what wind trolleys and chin straps are for, or, better yet, very small brims, heavy bowlers, caps, and berets.

If you absolutely must wear a wide brimmed hat in a stiff breeze, I heartily recommend using glue. It worked for Indiana Jones, as I can offer no other explanation as to how his hat nearly never came off throughout everything that he went through.

It worked for the earlier James Bond stunt doubles too.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
...If you absolutely must wear a wide brimmed hat in a stiff breeze, I heartily recommend using glue. It worked for Indiana Jones, as I can offer no other explanation as to how his hat nearly never came off throughout everything that he went through.

There's a very funny shot in an early "Raiders of the Lost Ark" promo showing Harrison Ford using a staple gun to attach hat to head. I've been tempted.

Some days I don't even attempt wearing a nice brimmed hat (fedora or western) and just stick with a baseball cap. But, yes, I also vote for angling hat and head properly (kind of like tacking in a sailboat) as a way to keep a brimmed hat in place against the wind.

Yep. Always keep a hand ready to grab. And if it's really windy or gusty there's no shame in holding on to it. If you have a wind trolley use it. A good sweat that has some grip to it and angling according to the wind have helped me the most. Rear gusts are your worst enemy since the sweat doesn't stick to hair.

Maybe I'll find out today with the wind blowing about 20 for most of the day. Roger, since my forehead goes all the way around, maybe the rear gust won't be an issue.

Loz Dawes

Familiar Face
a working link to Stoney's guide to installing wind cords.... http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/installing-wind-cords.27690/

I found a local milliner, and she used this guide to fit wind cords to 2 of my earliest hats... instead of a button on the inside, a large piece of felt was used instead.. there are pics posted on the thread.. hope this helps... and not forgetting... a big thanks to Stoney for the original post.

Reactions: RBH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo