Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Sportswear G1 Jacket: Mouton or synthetic and other Questions

mikejungle

New in Town
Got a 7823D Star Sportswear G1 off of the ebay, and I was wondering if there's a way to tell if it's got a mouton collar or a synthetic (dynal?) collar.

it's the darker variety, and like i mentioned before, the tag reads 7823D, so it seems like mid-60's production according to wikipedia? Unless the 71-C means 1971.

There are other numbers, but I don't know what they mean, so it'd be cool if anyone knew what they meant
7823D(WP)
8415-268-7798
DSA100-71-c-0535

Also, how do I clean mouton?

thanks guys, and i've googled about the jacket, but it's kind of hard to find specifics about what the specs were, so any additional info would be much appreciated!

mikejungle

New in Town
ok, so sorry for the double post, but i think i answered my own question. I didn't think i could get to the fibers to see if it were skin or a cloth bed under the collar, but i see that it's most likely synthetic.

does anyone know if it'd be easy to replace this collar with a regular old leather one without looking crappy? I always liked the A2 collar better, but i like the articulation of the G1 better.

Thanks again

pilot error

One of the Regulars
It's a 1971 and most probably a synthetic collar. As far as changing it is concerned, that's why we covet the AN-J-3.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
ok, so sorry for the double post, but i think i answered my own question. I didn't think i could get to the fibers to see if it were skin or a cloth bed under the collar, but i see that it's most likely synthetic.

does anyone know if it'd be easy to replace this collar with a regular old leather one without looking crappy? I always liked the A2 collar better, but i like the articulation of the G1 better.

Thanks again
Mine is a 1966 contract.
Its original fur/fleece. I believe a good tailor is able to replace it according to your desire.
Fleece / fur material : I would use parts from an old coat or jacket having a matching colour and texture ( Ebay, flee markets, garage sales etc...).
Good luck.

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
Maybe you should ask Steve Sellers about the collar change. He's roaming around here.

Wouldn't be a problem to change the dynel to real mouton (which feels much nicer on the neck than the synthetic dynel.) Also changing the fur to Goatskin (ala AN-J-3) wouldn't be an issue as long as a matching piece color wise can be found.

Peacoat

Bartender
Wouldn't be a problem to change the dynel to real mouton (which feels much nicer on the neck than the synthetic dynel.) Also changing the fur to Goatskin (ala AN-J-3) wouldn't be an issue as long as a matching piece color wise can be found.
And therein lies the problem!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I know this might sound Crazy but...hey..Try this: Leave it Exactly as-is and live with it! And..If it really bothers you *that much* Get *another* Jacket That is more to your liking...Sell or Trade this one, dont chop it.

Last edited:

mikejungle

New in Town
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. It's been helpful, and while I think I might leave it as is for the near future, i like making things more...mine. I freaking love every other detail about the jacket, so I don't think it's a stretch consider this.

More questions: is the hide goatskin for sure? How do I tell cow leather from goatskin?

Does anyone know what type of dyeing process they used for these jackets?

Also, are there any pictures of a successful inner collar replacement?

Thanks again, and bear with me while I get educated!

Technonut

Practically Family
Personally, I agree with the 'leave it alone' camp. I'm more into A-2's myself, but know that G-1's were made from goatskin exclusively in the beginning, and transitioned into including cowhide embossed with a grain pattern resembling goatskin. IIRC, this began with the 'E' series in the 70's.

Sporty's Pilot Shop sells a decent AN-J-3 jacket for $299.00 with free shipping that would have the features you are looking for. Check out all the positive reviews:

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/an-j-3-leather-flight-jacket.html

EDIT: If budget permits, and you don't like the fuller cut of Sporty's offering, Steve S above can make an AN-J-3 for you, as well as Aero Leather, and Bill Kelso if you choose to go the route of a new jacket...

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=976

http://www.billkelsomfg.com/store/en.php?p=productview&prod=11

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I believe that Navy specifications called for chrome-tanned goatskin (tho for a couple of years some makers were using heavy steer hide). Most were pigment dyed with a very tough, robust finish but earlier contacts (1940's-1950's ?) may have been aniline dyed.

Reactions: xmr

mikejungle

New in Town
So was mine...pigment dyed maybe? At first, I thought it was painted, because some wear spots looked like they were peeling. But no way they'd paint a leather jacket, right?

And to put everyone's mind at ease, I probably won't modify the collar unless it's to replace it with a real Mouton collar. Honestly, I feel the same way you guys do, and dont really want to butcher the jacket. Its just that the fur isn't as versatile for everyday wear, and I freaking love the jacket already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael