Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Trek

You know, that you are "grown" up with Trek, when:

When you anywhere see a wristwatch, like it and think: "Nice, really nice with its romulan, uuuum roman numbers..." ;)

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Ok, the original Q-statement from TNG: "Q Who" was:

"Another man would have been humiliated to say those words, even to the point of sacrificing himself and his entire ship rather than admit he needed help."

You see again, that's, what TNG gave us (german) primary school-kids in the early 90s for life. :D

"Con permiso, Capitan. The hall is rented; the orchestra engaged. Now it's time to see if you can dance."
( -- Q's exit line after he has flipped the Enterprise out into completely unknown space as a test)

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
So, I spent far too much of my day, yesterday, watching the TOS movies from the end of ST 2 through ST 6 and how did we end up with what we have today? I haven't seen anything since Voyager and these movies were FAR superior. I laughed out loud when I realized that one of the Klingon villains was Christopher Lloyd. In another, it was Kurtwood Smith. And yet another was Christopher Plummer! Some A+ actors spouting Shakespeare in Klingon was hilarious.

Still wondering how I missed the fact that they gave Kirk a son, but I was a kid when those movies came out originally, so...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That whole son angle was the talk of Trekdom when it happened -- there was a lot of talk that Carol Marcus was that "little blonde lab technician" that Gary Mitchell steered toward Kirk back at the Academy, which shows how obsessive 1980s Trekkers were about minor continuity references in TOS episodes.

The actor that played the kid died young, of AIDS if I remember right, so they dropped the character and you never heard about him again. Given the way people age in the Trek series, the character would have probably been alive during the TNG era, but they never explored that particular dangling plot thread.

That whole son angle was the talk of Trekdom when it happened -- there was a lot of talk that Carol Marcus was that "little blonde lab technician" that Gary Mitchell steered toward Kirk back at the Academy, which shows how obsessive 1980s Trekkers were about minor continuity references in TOS episodes.

The actor that played the kid died young, of AIDS if I remember right, so they dropped the character and you never heard about him again. Given the way people age in the Trek series, the character would have probably been alive during the TNG era, but they never explored that particular dangling plot thread.

They dropped him because he was killed by a Klingon in the third movie.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

...And I'd like to see some outtakes with Lloyd talking to Kirk in full Klingon makeup as Rev. Jim. "There are four (yellow) lights!"
g1oi5HL.jpg

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Well, he didn't leave a piece of scenery without a bite mark on it.

But when you're going up against The Shat...

Well, "Shat" did kick him in the face, so, there's a death scene for ya! :eek: LOL!

And that's a pic I don't think I'll be able to un-see any time soon, thanks. :confused: Can't see the teeth.

The german synchro of Kruge is just perfect. That's, why Kruge is my favorite character in the movie. The german voice matches totally with Kruge's choleric character! I couldn't ever imagine him with another voice. That's just Kruge, for me. When He appears, the entertainment begins. :D He just upstages all the others.

Edward

Bartender

They dropped him because he was killed by a Klingon in the third movie.

The way I heard the story was that Paramount, at the time of the second film, had planned to do a new Trek TV show -what would have been the third television show outing for Trek (everyone always forgets The Animated Adventures of Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek!). The show was to centre on Kirk's son and some of the other characters introduced in Khan, including, I believe, Kirstie Allie's Vulcan - a new Enterprise, a new crew, later on. For whatever reason those plans were shelved (the idea as later realised as the TNG we now know), and that led to Kirk Junior being bumped off.

I don't blame you, but for us guys, it did introduce Kirstie Alley, back when she was just one person.

Oh, yes. I think that was the beginnings of me having a thing for girls with pointy ears.

Can't argue with that. I always knew a movie would be quantifiable better if Harry Dean Stanton was in it. I kinda feel the same way about Steve Buscemi.

Quite!

Found it odd that they kept addressing Alley as "Mister" throughout the movie.

As I recall, Trek always made a point of having women in authority roles addressed exactly as per their male counterparts, to indicate equality of esteem. In Voyager they referenced this early on - Janeway is considered eccentric because she doesn't care to be called 'Sir', but Captain - "or Ma'am, at a push".

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana