Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Trek

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I thought they were just following naval tradition in using the correct titular address for an ensign or lieutenant as "Mr." There's no need to read more into it.

But of course, Trek always showed great respect for female Starfleet personnel, all the way back to Number One in "The Cage" in 1965. Too bad that her character was one of the things NBC objected too most strongly: "Viewers won't accept a woman as second in command." Faced with dropping either Number One or Mr. Spock, Roddenberry made the logical choice.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The german synchro of Kruge is just perfect. That's, why Kruge is my favorite character in the movie. The german voice matches totally with Kruge's choleric character! I couldn't ever imagine him with another voice. That's just Kruge, for me. When He appears, the entertainment begins. :D He just upstages all the others.
The impression I always got was that Kruge was insane even for a Klingon -- a sort of Captain Queeg without the pitiful aspect.

The impression I always got was that Kruge was insane even for a Klingon -- a sort of Captain Queeg without the pitiful aspect.

Yep. And the german voice underlines perfectly his paranoid black-to-white mind.

But sadly, the nonsense, that the two photon-torpedos didn't totally destroy the warbird's whole electric system and the klingons were really able to fire back (!), killed this part of the movie, for me.

HanauMan

Practically Family
And especially Odo and his voice was one of the most remarkable things for me on Star Trek, when I was a kid, back in 1994. ;)

Well, all I can say is that, as a kid, I lived in Germany and we didn't have American TV. So it meant, for me, watching Star Trek (or Raumschiff Enterprise) dubbed into German. Just didn't sound right at all. Glad when we moved back to The World and I could watch it again in good old fashioned English. Not complaining, as watching German TV helped me learn that language, but overdubbed shows never did anything for me and, to this day, I prefer subtitles when watching foreign films. Same with that German Odo. Just doesn't work for me, at any level.

If Sisko or Pressman would have been in Jellicoe's situation, they would surely do in the same soldier-manner, but probably with the difference of beeing smarter and more respectful to the crew. Jellicoe appears "clumsy". Sisko may be hard-boiled, but Jellicoe acts like a "bonehead".
I remember exactly, that LaForge complaint to Riker, that Jellico just doesn't give the crew the necessary time, they need to get all their jobs done.

Maybe, that's the simple message, the episode likes to give us. That such boneheads like Jellicoe will always be there and sometimes High-Commands are unable to avoid sending them into critical situations.

They authority of Star Trek should start a spin-off, based on Miles O'Brien, to revitalize Star Trek. That would be a nice thing! They could get the TNG and DS9-fans back without the need of relaunching the whole TNG-timeline.

Would have been better, if they had done such a thing already parallel to the VOY-trash, but I don't think, it's too late to start such a spin-off, these days.
I could perfectly imagine a show with Miles O'Brien and the character would give thousands of possibilities to create a storyline.

Come on, Star Trek, I want to see "Chief O'Brien" and Cpt. Jellicoe crash together, maybe meanwhile in Star Fleet Command offices or even Federation Council or Star Fleet Academy. :D

Loungers, please submit that to Paramount. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I loved the Chief. Just a working-class enlisted man trying to do his job. The more guerilla-repair jobs I do to keep the theatre running, the more I identify with O'Brien as my Trek hero.

Colm Meaney is still a fairly busy actor, but if he ever wanted to return to Trek, he'd be great in the new Picard series that's coming out. Jean-Luc can't figure out his new communications device and has to send for O'Brien to set it up for him.

Edward

Bartender
All I know is it's happening; is there a released scenario for Picard? Is he out in space, or retired from active duty and working at the Academy?

I recall there was a potential Picard series some years ago, but it was to be Young Picard going through the academy first time around...

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
They authority of Star Trek should start a spin-off, based on Miles O'Brien, to revitalize Star Trek. That would be a nice thing! They could get the TNG and DS9-fans back without the need of relaunching the whole TNG-timeline.

Would have been better, if they had done such a thing already parallel to the VOY-trash, but I don't think, it's too late to start such a spin-off, these days.
I could perfectly imagine a show with Miles O'Brien and the character would give thousands of possibilities to create a storyline.

Come on, Star Trek, I want to see "Chief O'Brien" and Cpt. Jellicoe crash together, maybe meanwhile in Star Fleet Command offices or even Federation Council or Star Fleet Academy. :D

Loungers, please submit that to Paramount. ;)

Would watch the heck outta this. You're a genius. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All I know is it's happening; is there a released scenario for Picard? Is he out in space, or retired from active duty and working at the Academy?

I recall there was a potential Picard series some years ago, but it was to be Young Picard going through the academy first time around...

From what I've heard it's more or less "real time" -- fifteen years or whatever from the events of "Nemesis," meaning post-Dominion War/post-Voyager era. They've been very cagey about what exactly Picard is doing, other than to say that this is a "different Picard" than we've seen before. Some have speculated that it's Picard retired to his vineyards, dealing with the travails of early 24th Century grape farming and playing his flute, but I hope it's not that.

Would be nice to see Picard's fine arts-interests thematised. I imagine Picard managing an old-fashion dance school on earth. :)

Or to get back to an adventure-plot, with retired Picard, doing archaeological work and digging up the remains of the Royal Shakespeare Company, as a pilot-episode joke. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21