Star Trek

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by The Good, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

They've been busy.As seen from the HiRise camera on the Mars reconnaisance orbiter in 2013.
    [​IMG]

Similar things can be seen in the Sahara. Known as Barchan dunes.
    [​IMG]

Zombie_61 likes this.
  2. Edward

Edward Bartender

I like to think this sort of thnig is evidence God has a very dry sense of humour.

3. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

And one of the biggest moments of Trek, when Troi passed the bridge-officers exam! And then comprehend, that the point was to be able to send a staff-member into a deadly situation to rescue the ship.

But I still think, Riker secretly helped her, remind her of the primal rule.

4. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

⇧ I am not a fan of STTNG, but if they'd lift Troi out of every single scene she's in, I might come around.

My first order as captain would have been to shoot her into deep space.

Troi: "Captain, am I going on a mission?"

Captain: "Nope."

Troi: "So, I'm just being shot out into deep space for no reason?"

Captain: "Oh, there's a reason."

MisterCairo and Zombie_61 like this.
  5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Worf: Captain! I object!

Captain: Your objection is noted, Mr. Worf. FIRE.

Troi: If you do this, Captain, my mother will demand an investigation. She'll probably come here to lead it in person.

Captain: Hold your fire, Mr. Worf. Perhaps there's a better way.

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  6. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Shows how much I didn't enjoy the show - who is her mother (and why can Troi hide behind her mother's skirt)?

7. Trenchfriend

@Fading Fast

This "boiler":

"Laxative Troi" ;)

WARP NINE!!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  8. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

⇧ Outstanding scene and fully explains Lizzie's post.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  9. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

You ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

LizzieMaine likes this.
  10. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

My daughter flagged this to me. Intriguing.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  11. Trenchfriend

It will be interesting, if the show is down-to-earth or not! If not, ...

I would like to see a health-exam system at the medical departments of Starfleet and how good Picard passes them to get the re-admission into service. What about his bone-strength?

EDIT:
    Seemingly, he's not joining Starfleet.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Data?! Seven of Nine?! Bring back Chief O'Brien!

Meanwhile, there is talk that CBS and Viacom will be re-merging in the near future -- a move which will have significant implications for the future of Trek: one reason why the AbramsTrek movies had a separate continuity from the various TV series is that Paramount, a Viacom subsidiary, no longer owned the rights to the shows. With CBS and Viacom/Paramount back under the same roof, that obstacle disappears, and hopefully so will the Abramsverse.

Zombie_61, Tiki Tom and Trenchfriend like this.
  13. Trenchfriend

This will be very thrilling, how they will bring Android B4 (from Nemesis), which LaForge assumed to be a "prototype", really up to Data's full skills!

Sex sells...

;)

Zombie_61 and Tiki Tom like this.
  14. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Yikes!

Trenchfriend likes this.
  15. Trenchfriend

The good thing is, that the new trailer shows the kids from the Enterprise D. :)

16. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

But wait! There's more!

Today during the Star Trek Universe panel in Hall H of San Diego Comic-Con 2019, Star Trek: Picard showrunner Michael Chabon revealed that Star Trek: The Next Generation stars Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis will reprise their respective roles as Will Riker and Deanna Troi in the new series. Frakes was already confirmed to direct the third and fourth episode of the new series. Last Riker and Troi were seen in Star Trek: Nemesis, they were newlyweds leaving the Enterprise as Riker took command of the USS Titan.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2019...athan-frakes-riker-marina-sirtis-deanna-troi/

Edward and Trenchfriend like this.
  17. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Trenchfriend likes this.
  18. Mae

Mae Call Me a Cab

Ugh. Make it stop.

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've always been amused by the hate for the Abrams timeline; personally, I thoughtg it a nice device which left them free to tell their own stories but without treating the original canon with contempt, acknowledging that it took place in a different timelime being a whole different ballgame than pretending it didn't happen, or pushing a midichlorian-style reinterpretation that makes no sense...

(Also, unlike Lucas, the Trek rightsholders never spitefully tried to halt fanbase access to the original as some sort of apparent punishment for not liking the new version.)

By my reckoning, Riker would be hitting the right age to be thinking about retiring from Starfleet, or at least active service (perhaps he'll teach at the academy), so it would be logical for Mr Action (after all, he was the Shatner cypher for TNG) to seek counsel from a trusted former commander on how to cope with the transition...

He's been doing this for years; back when he was still in TNG he recorded an album under the title Ole Yellow Eyes is Back.

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

My problem with the Abramsverse is that there just doesn't seem to be much "there" there -- it's basically superhero movies in Trek drag. I don't mind a good superhero picture when I'm in the mood for one, but when I watch something with "Star Trek" in the title, I expect a certain emphasis on character development that I just don't see in these films.

Granted, I'm a devoted Niner, so my standard on this point is set at a high level -- I often wish Garak would get thrown thru a dimensional rift into the Abramsverse. In ten minutes he'd be running the place.

Edward and Zombie_61 like this.