Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starched

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
How many of you like to starch your shirts? How much starch? Light, Medium, Heavy?
I am more of a heavy starch person. I like a nice crisp look. I really starch my collars and press them flat.

Chad

Mycroft

One Too Many
Chad Sanborn said:
How many of you like to starch your shirts? How much starch? Light, Medium, Heavy?
I am more of a heavy starch person. I like a nice crisp look. I really starch my collars and press them flat.

Chad

I love them starched, but only my real dressy shirts get the treament, but my Oxfords are just normal old ironing and such. Have you heard of starching polo's and golf shirts? My friends do it.

green papaya

One Too Many
I like to starch my khaki trousers and make a nice crease on the pleats and cuffs, just a light to medium starch

I also lightly starch my shirts and like the collars to look nice and "crisp"

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dry cleaners

I send them out, heavy starch. $1.25 each. To stand in front of an ironing board for two hors to do half my shirts would equal about $8 an hour, not worth it taking the time to do it myself, and you can't get them as stiff yorself unless you go the old fashioned route of washing, then soaking in starched water, then hanging to dry, then pressing using a spritz bottle (pre-Niagra Speed Starch).

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I think I pay 95 cents a piece. $1.10 if delivered. I have wondered, though, at what point I've paid more to keep the shirt looking good than it cost initially!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I have never figured out the point of starch. The point where the cuffs and collar of an unstarched shirt start looking as if they need to be pressed again is usually long after they start looking so dirty they need to be washed.

Starching a shirt would thus seem pointless as the shirt will look dirty long before it looks rumpled. Plus starch makes the shirt less comfortable and puts more wear on the cloth.

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
I used to starch cuffs and collars (ladies don't need to look so crisp) but it ruined my iron. Drycleaning is expensive here, and besides, it's hideous on the environment. [angel] ;)

I figure, if my cousins in the army, police, and fire service can get knife-edge creases with just an iron, so can I. :)

green papaya

One Too Many
I try not to use too much starch during the summer because your clothing will become uncomfortable in hot weather if you have a heavy starch on it, because the material cant ventilate as well when it's starched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo