Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stationery!

miss_elise

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
The little trick one of my English teachers hammered into us was that stationERY referred to the papER type, and stationARY was something not moving out in the AIR

Also, my understanding of mourning paper (black border) was like wearing black while you were in mourning - one year from the date of death and you stop using it.
we went with the car is stationary

MikeBravo

One Too Many
ebayhere Icome

16_sparrows said:
I absolutely adore writing letters to the point where my friend and I made a letter writing alliance to keep the art alive! (I know, we're nerds.) Anyway, I adore writing on vintage stationery and have had some wonderful luck finding dead stock paper goods at resale markets and Ebay. In fact, I just acquired a vintage airmail writing set; envelopes and a writing pad, complete with a line guide to place under the paper comes all together in a folder like package. It's super keen. My favorite though is a Greek hotel stationery that is booklet style letting you write up to four pages on one sheet. And the paper is great for fountain pens!

2182048004_37934a0d35_m.jpg

Never thought of ebay, better have a look. fountain pen is my fave method, shy of starting a collectionas such,but do have 6 or so todate.

And I always remember the spelling with an "e" because you buy it from a stationER.

John K Stetson

One of the Regulars
Great thread! I too am easily swayed by paper, and have been know to spend too much time in paper/stationery store - especially if they have leather bound folios, journals, and the like. Retrogirl1941, I hope your guy keeps the letters so you can both (and future generations) can enjoy looking at them again and again. About a year ago, I came across some letters between my mom and dad written while he was in the service (and before they were married). Very touching.

I once had the pleasure of touring a historical paper mill in Amalfi, Italy - Amatruda. They've been making paper there for centuries, using local resources. http://www.museodellacarta.it/
You can find it in the US, though it is a little pricey. Also, all the papers I have from them have a rough finish - works fine with most inks, doesn't bleed a lot, but it might not be your style.

Kartos (another Italian company) has fine, smooth papers, often with decorative borders. Prices are reasonable, especially on when on sale here in the US (in Italy, many stationers carry these lines. They also package papers, lined envelopes and notecards into attractive sets.).

I also like Crane's, though to be honest, I've only used their paper for business purposes: cover letters, resumes, etc.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
John K Stetson said:
Great thread! I too am easily swayed by paper, and have been know to spend too much time in paper/stationery store - especially if they have leather bound folios, journals, and the like. Retrogirl1941, I hope your guy keeps the letters so you can both (and future generations) can enjoy looking at them again and again. About a year ago, I came across some letters between my mom and dad written while he was in the service (and before they were married). Very touching.

I once had the pleasure of touring a historical paper mill in Amalfi, Italy - Amatruda. They've been making paper there for centuries, using local resources. http://www.museodellacarta.it/
You can find it in the US, though it is a little pricey. Also, all the papers I have from them have a rough finish - works fine with most inks, doesn't bleed a lot, but it might not be your style.

Kartos (another Italian company) has fine, smooth papers, often with decorative borders. Prices are reasonable, especially on when on sale here in the US (in Italy, many stationers carry these lines. They also package papers, lined envelopes and notecards into attractive sets.).

I also like Crane's, though to be honest, I've only used their paper for business purposes: cover letters, resumes, etc.

My husband and I keep each others letters so we can read htem over when we are old and grey.

Samantha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR