Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 25 Western...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I have been searching for a Stetson 25 for what seems like eons, and the waiting has finally paid off. This Stetson 25 western arrived today. As promised by the auction, it is in absolutely pristine condition. The brim is 3", and open crown height is 5 1/2". The ribbon is a western two-cord.

The liner tip is covered by a yellowed liner protector. It appears to be oil silk that has dried out over time. Interestingly, when I was creasing the hat using steam, this material rejuvenated a bit and felt more more pliable. The sweatband is a thicker leather -- very nice. The liner itself is bridal satin, and very smooth to the touch. The felt is western weight, and, while sturdy, it is also has a smoothness and softness to it, as well.

One interesting thing about this lid is that it came from Gene Autry's western store in Phoenix, Arizona -- and I love the logo on the sweat. As far as dating goes, I think circa 1950 wouldn't be a bad bet. Went with the arrowhead crease...

25-4.jpg

25-7.jpg

25-Liner-1.jpg

25-Liner-2.jpg

25-Sweat-2.jpg

25-Sweat-3.jpg

25-Sweat-1.jpg

25-3.jpg

25-6.jpg

25-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:
Beautiful!!

I'm interested to hear more on your impressions of the felt character. My newer vintage (late sixties, I think) 25 Open Road has a heavy handed felt that takes quite a bit of steam and manhandling to crease. It is a world away from the sublime beaver felt in the 7X and 100. We finally made friends, but it took a while, if you know what I mean.

I purchased another one at a good price to see if there is a difference... that one has never arrived from the seller - but that is a different difficult story.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
Boy oh Boy I love that hat!My cousin won a trip to Gene's ranch ,stayed a week.1956 .He was our favorite cowboy.I have a friend that owns a silver mounted saddle that belonged to Gene Autry.I won't tell you what it cost.

ideaguy

One Too Many
I've had a few 25's- and this one beats 'em all-the arrowhead crease does it-
first time I've seen that crease; how common is it in Western styling?
great score!:eusa_clap

frussell

One Too Many
Good old Gene. I forgot he had a store. He was a good friend of my grandfather's, and I still have pretty regular contact with his widow Jackie. Their house here is pretty amazing, and still has a lot of Gene's original gear. Nice score JTL. Beautiful in every way. Frank

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. Your western 25, my OR 25, and the one I'm selling seem to be among the oldest examples of the quality level that I've seen. I haven't seen any pre-gold medallion 25s.

The two I've got don't have the oil silk now, but may have at one time. Both do have the sweat guard behind the sweatband. Is that true of yours?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I've had a few 25's- and this one beats 'em all-the arrowhead crease does it-
first time I've seen that crease; how common is it in Western styling?
great score!:eusa_clap

Thanks, ideaguy! :) As far as the arrowhead crease goes -- that's something I came up with as a result of doing variations on a traditional diamond crease. I haven't seen this crease elsewhere. That's not to say that it doesn't exist elsewhere, or that someone else isn't doing it -- I just haven't seen it. I appreciate the feedback I've been getting from Loungers on this crease -- I do think it fits nicely with the aesthetic of a western lid. ;)

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, gents, for the nice comments on the "25" -- much appreciated! :)

You know, the Lounge is a pretty amazing place. I post a lid that came from Gene Autry's store, and two Loungers weigh in who have one degree of separation from Gene Autry. Amazing. Thanks for those stories, michealshane and frussell! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Very nice. Your western 25, my OR 25, and the one I'm selling seem to be among the oldest examples of the quality level that I've seen. I haven't seen any pre-gold medallion 25s.

The two I've got don't have the oil silk now, but may have at one time. Both do have the sweat guard behind the sweatband. Is that true of yours?

Yes -- this "25" has an oil silk protector behind the sweat.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I'm interested to hear more on your impressions of the felt character. My newer vintage (late sixties, I think) 25 Open Road has a heavy handed felt that takes quite a bit of steam and manhandling to crease. It is a world away from the sublime beaver felt in the 7X and 100. We finally made friends, but it took a while, if you know what I mean.

Well, Alan, I sat down this morning to answer your question, and my efforts resulted in a new thread about Stetson OR quality designations. :eeek: :D So, please check out that thread for a more comprehensive response. ;)

As far as the "25" goes -- after some vigorous brushing yesterday, and after creasing, the felt didn't seem to be quite as smooth as I had been expecting from a 25. In keeping with the Seller's representations, it really does seem that the hat really hasn't been worn, so the felt seemed a bit stiff and not "broken in", so to speak.

I sat down to watch a couple of hours of TV last night, during which time I kneaded and massaged every square inch of the brim. The result was pretty amazing -- it's like the felt came to life. The feel is now very pliable and smooth -- much more like what I was originally expecting a 25 to feel like. So, because it is a western weight, the felt certainly is substantial, but it is not at all stiff, and handles nicely.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks for the reply... I read and enjoyed your new thread earlier today and will share a few additional thoughts on that thread later today.

best, Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR