Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Benchley

I've got the 100% beaver Pinnacle in black that I had the edge bound & different ribbon treatment done. Good looking, feeling & wearing hat. This one seems to be just shorter brimmed, which is not my style.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I wonder if they named it after Robert Benchley who showed up in Stetson's ads for their three-way hat circa 1941?

b9dd_1.JPG

Cheers!

Dan

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Except for the fact that it's beaver, just from the style it could easily be confused (by a neophyte like me) for a Stetson Downs or Chatham.

carldelo

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
Except for the fact that it's beaver, just from the style it could easily be confused (by a neophyte like me) for a Stetson Downs or Chatham.

Yep, Benchley, Brewster, Downs, Chatham, Hampton, Ashland all have the same crown shape (Stetson calls it profile 10).

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
That's the problem...I think Hatco only uses a few select blocks...the days of more unique looking Fedoras is over for them....Take a look at that new Whippet...It resembles the Benchley and the Chatham and the...etc etc etc...[huh]

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Colby Jack said:
That's the problem...I think Hatco only uses a few select blocks...the days of more unique looking Fedoras is over for them....Take a look at that new Whippet...It resembles the Benchley and the Chatham and the...etc etc etc...[huh]

:eusa_clap Nailed it......the same hat over and over again:eusa_doh:

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I only have a couple of fedoras, which came open crowned. My bashing efforts leave something to be desired (mostly I cannot make my mind up). Stetson's style 10 looks pretty good to me.

Does anybody know where the Benchley lies on the stiffness scale?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I received a mink Benchley from the kind folks at Sterling Leather a couple of weeks ago. I have since had the heretofore unprecedented experience of receiving unsolicited compliments from (reasonably) young (reasonably) attractive women with whom I have no prior acquaintance. Since my own middle-aged countenance is of modest (at best) attractiveness, I must conclude that the Stetson designers (who are sometimes treated with less than absolute respect on these pages) do in fact know their business, quite well.

carldelo

One Too Many
So now that you have it and are a bona-fide swain, how do you like the hat? Per your earlier question, how is the felt on the stiffness scale, construction details, etc.?

Richard Warren

Practically Family
While I am not an expert by any means, the hat seems to be well put together. Attention was paid to details like hiding the tacks where the bow is attached. All in all, solid.

The felt is very soft to the touch. The brim is pretty pliable. There is a good deal of curl to the brim. The crown seems firmer than the brim. While it would probably be difficult to change the bash, the hat is by no means hard or stiff.

It has been in the rain twice so far with no adverse effects. Seemed to take a long time to dry out (but then it was holding a lot of water).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran