Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Europe...

guillaumeb

One of the Regulars
Hello,

So as I live in France i'm wondering about Stetson Europe. I have the feeling that Stetson USA is basically licensing their trademark to various Asian manufacturers.

Today I received my Odento pork pie and few weeks ago I bought a Traveller. They're cheap, made of oiled cotton and polyester in Indonesia or China. Oh they look great but hey, I thought Stetson made all their hats in Texas. Also I can't seem to find any fur feft hat on stetson.eu. The best they have are VitaFelt - which i reckon might be some sort of waterproof cotton material.

So is Stetson dead in Europe (apart maybe from designing those hats Asian partners) ?

Here is the Odento pork pie by the way

IMG_20160408_140416.jpg

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
It would seem to me that there hasn't been any real Stetson overseas since the original company closed down at the end of the 1960s. I'd bet everything with Stetson on it in Europe is either a contractor or shipped there from the US. I hope someone can verify my feelings on this.

Since 1998 Stetson Europe is owned by
Friedrich W. Schneider GmbH & Co. KG (this company goes back to pre WWII)
Oskar-Schindler-Straße 11
D - 50769 Cologne
Germany

http://www.stetson-europe.com/4-1-Our-Company.html

They have their own product line but also have some American Stetson models. I know they showed the new Open Crown models from America but there wasn't any interest.

Mayser Ulm had the Stetson license for Germany back in the 1950s into the 1970s. Here is an 1950s example (super high quality).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/3-mayser-hutfabrik/#entry189

Ole, I made sure to get copies of Manfred's photos that are missing here .

Fruno, Mayser Ulm acquired the Stetson licence in 1954 so my guess is Manfred's Stratoliner is mid to late 1950s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran