Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Homburg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this today from tonyb.
It's a brown stetson homburg, with a nice tight curl on the brim. Underneath the curl, it has a metal wire, so that the brim can be formed. The back was already turned up a bit when I got it, so I dipped the front a bit. I like the look it has, it's a lot less formal than my other homburg, but a little more dressy than a fedora.

IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3122.jpg

Looks much better on you than it ever did on me, dinerman. So I see you put a pinch in the crown. I like it.
I considered cleaning that old babe before shipping it out. But it's winter and I use naphtha only out of doors in pleasant weather, and I figured you'd rather not wait for spring. (The stuff is quite flammable and it smells like it'll give you some nasty illness, so its use indoors or even within 20 feet or so of any structure is on the Boss Lady's list of Things That Just Aren't Done Around Here.) And the hat isn't all that dirty, anyway.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm glad you aprove.

and the hat's really not that dirty. it's a little dusty, sure, but there aren't really any sweat stains in the felt or anything.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think the movie Michael Collins was the one that really sold me on the Homburg... Very cool hat when the proportions are correct.

One of the easier styles to get on Ebay as noone really wants them... except me and a few of those who switch styles now an again..

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
those look pretty neat, but I've just never seen one with a wire in the brim so that you can do this besides the one I have.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Dinerman.....

Awesome hat, Amigo!
The homburg style looks great on you.
Got to admit, I've never seen one with the wire in the brim- seems pretty unusual!???[huh]

Page Sausman

New in Town
Homburg Advice

Hello,
I admire your Homburg very much and want your advice. I have recently purchased a Homburg on eBay. My first Homburg. I see some convert their Homburgs to fedoras. Have you tried this process? Fedoras are making a come-back in the United States and Homburgs are not as popular as teardrop fedoras. What is your experience with Homburgs and Fedoras? Please give me some advice.
Warm regards,
Page Sausman
Boise, Idaho USA

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Page Sausman said:
Hello,
I admire your Homburg very much and want your advice. I have recently purchased a Homburg on eBay. My first Homburg. I see some convert their Homburgs to fedoras. Have you tried this process? Fedoras are making a come-back in the United States and Homburgs are not as popular as teardrop fedoras. What is your experience with Homburgs and Fedoras? Please give me some advice.
Warm regards,
Page Sausman
Boise, Idaho USA

Today, Homburgs are no longer made in the quality of the past ana are rare. If you got one, be proud of it and do not change it into something it was not intended to.

There are plenty of Fedoras around. Get one!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dreispitz said:
Today, Homburgs are no longer made in the quality of the past ana are rare. If you got one, be proud of it and do not change it into something it was not intended to.

There are plenty of Fedoras around. Get one!

:arated: Well said!

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
(...)the Homburg... Very cool hat when the proportions are correct.

One of the easier styles to get on Ebay as noone really wants them... except me and a few of those who switch styles now an again..

I have a very nice Mayser Homburg in jet black that's slightly too big for me. I wear a lot of black Fedoras, but I've found out that, with Homburgs, the greys work better for me. I just have to find a good one in my size. I nearly cried when, a few weeks ago, a very beautiful taupe colored Homburg (Tucker & Tucker) in my size got snatched from my very fingers just seconds before I hit the BIN button. Went for $9.99... :rage:

Looked like this:

tucker_01.jpg
tucker_02.jpg

BTW: On Homburgs, I really don't need the side pinches.

Mario said:
I wear a lot of black Fedoras, but I've found out that, with Homburgs, the greys work better for me.

BTW: On Homburgs, I really don't need the side pinches.

I believe the first Homburgs were grey. The grey ones are harder to come by in general. It could be that they got more use and didn't survive.

That is pretty much the standard for Homburgs. In many cases they don't even want to take a pinch. Still I like to add a pinch / dents to mine. :)

Homburgs in the day were very formal hats. Worn by heads of state ect. They were of the highest quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara