Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Blackthorn said:
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

You're right, Cybergent, they should. At least in this case, you can get 3 different colors of Nostalia ranging from this grey (ok, caribou) to brown (they call it mink) and black. That at least covers most of the main colors that match our clothes.

Cybergent, where's home when you're not in Haifa?

home- pennsylvania. philly has a few hat shops, dietz (south street hats)

http://southstreethats.com/

and another shop around 12th st.

a long answer to a short question.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Here are a couple of photos of my new Nostalgia

It looked stunning coming out of the box, but the first thing I did, after wearing it around open-crowned like Hoss Cartwright, was head outside with the brush to get as much of the powder off as I could before getting started.

After two days of very little work, I’d pretty much finished brushing it off and cleaning it up to my satisfaction. Still some work to do on the brim, sharpening the creases and the front pinch, but I figured I’d finish that the next time it rains. It’s held up very well to my repeated soakings during the shaping process so far.

It’s my first open crown, and although I started with an attempt at a 4 pt diamond bash, I ended up with something more like a loose 6 pt that I’ll tighten up more later. It’s got a slight tugboat effect to it, but the crown is about an inch too low (or the head an inch too high) to do any really great styling with it. I am really enjoying this hat; very comfortable. It’s an excellent addition my collection and should tide me over until I can get a custom open crown in just the height I’m looking for.

DSCF1009.jpg
DSCF1013.jpg
DSCF1012.jpg
DSCF1010.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
After seeing photos I really took a liking to the Nostalgia in Caribou, so I broke down today and called the Hatco Outlet in Garland to see if they had one in 7 3/4, and they did. Only $99.95, much better than the usual $150-$170 price tag, so I pulled the trigger. The lady who took my order said "They come open crown, you want us to shape it for you?" I replied, "Ohhh no, open crown, please." I can't wait to play with that Sovereign felt.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
After seeing photos I really took a liking to the Nostalgia in Caribou, so I broke down today and called the Hatco Outlet in Garland to see if they had one in 7 3/4, and they did. Only $99.95, much better than the usual $150-$170 price tag, so I pulled the trigger. The lady who took my order said "They come open crown, you want us to shape it for you?" I replied, "Ohhh no, open crown, please." I can't wait to play with that Sovereign felt.

Please post pics when you get it! I tried Garland for a Nostalgia a number of weeks ago, no dice. Great find!

Randy

Mr E Train

One Too Many
theinterchange said:
Please post pics when you get it! I tried Garland for a Nostalgia a number of weeks ago, no dice. Great find!

Randy

You bet I will. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's from the Outlet, which means it's probably a factory second, so I hope there are no major quality control issues. I'm also a little worried about tapering, but B.J.'s seems to be OK. I don't plan on wearing it in heavy rain anyway, I've got Akubras for that.

I tried St. Joe first, by the way; the lady said they didn't have any Nostalgias but that she would order some, and that was it. The lady at Garland seemed a little more engaged. She took my number and said she would check their stock and call me back, which she did a few minutes later.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr E Train said:
You bet I will. The only thing I'm worried about is that it's from the Outlet, which means it's probably a factory second, so I hope there are no major quality control issues. I'm also a little worried about tapering, but B.J.'s seems to be OK. I don't plan on wearing it in heavy rain anyway, I've got Akubras for that.

I tried St. Joe first, by the way; the lady said they didn't have any Nostalgias but that she would order some, and that was it. The lady at Garland seemed a little more engaged. She took my number and said she would check their stock and call me back, which she did a few minutes later.

I had a hoot talking with the girl [at least she sounded young enough to be called a girl] at Garland. She took my number and called back, too. We chatted for several minutes about Florida, the weather, and beaches before she'd finish my order. lol

The straw Whippet I ordered from there was flawless, so you may be getting an overstock, not second.

Randy

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
kyboots said:
I have been looking at the Nostalgia for some time,and it appeared to be a nice hat. I wondered why I had not seen more comments about it, but now it is time for me to bite the bullet too and get one. Thanks for the encouragement. John
I ordered one this morning in caribou. :)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Yeah, Sterling Leather seemed to have the best price online, $148 if I remember correctly. The Outlet had it at $99.95. You have to call the Outlet to see if they have what you want, and then place an order by phone. It would be nice if they had a website you could order from, but I kind of like it this way. It thins the herd a little bit if you have to go to the effort of calling the store or visiting in person; ordering from a website's just too easy and therefore engenders competition in finding the really good deals.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Rodkins said:
No. Sterling leather. How do you order from the outlet?

You can give them a call. I bought from the one in Garland, Texas... let me find the number... 972.494.0337 They also have one in Missouri, but I don't have their number.

Their stock is hit and miss, but if it's a hit, you get a great deal.

Randy

P.S of course, you know what I'm going to say next... pictures when you get the Nostalgia!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
You can give them a call. I bought from the one in Garland, Texas... let me find the number... 972.494.0337 They also have one in Missouri, but I don't have their number.

Their stock is hit and miss, but if it's a hit, you get a great deal.

Randy

P.S of course, you know what I'm going to say next... pictures when you get the Nostalgia!
Of course! Thanks for the number...I'll give it a shot when I get some more hat budget wiggle room.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
Yeah, Sterling Leather seemed to have the best price online, $148 if I remember correctly. The Outlet had it at $99.95. You have to call the Outlet to see if they have what you want, and then place an order by phone. It would be nice if they had a website you could order from, but I kind of like it this way. It thins the herd a little bit if you have to go to the effort of calling the store or visiting in person; ordering from a website's just too easy and therefore engenders competition in finding the really good deals.
Yep. It was $148 total (free shipping)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
When I got home from work there was a message from Sterling Leather that though they thought they had my 7 3/8 nostalgia in stock, they did not. The factory also did not have any and according to Sterling Leather they would make one for me but it would take 3 to 4 weeks. Shooot. Of course I am an instant gratification kind of guy most of the time so I cancelled the order and called the Garland outlet (thanks Randy for the number). I asked if they had the caribou nostalgia in 7 3/8 (needle in a haystack) and after some time they said they did not have one. I then asked if they had a grey or light grey whippet. After a few minutes they came back and said I wouldn't believe it but while they were checking for the grey whippet they found a caribou stetson 7 3/8 nostalgia. It was a little dirty and needed a cleaning but I could have it for $99.95 plus $10 for fedex. I should have it in 4 days. I think I was meant to have this hat. Whatever dirt or character this thing has was supposed to be there.:)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Sounds like it was meant to be! Did they say they'd clean it up for you or is it just as-is? They didn't say anything about mine being dirty so hopefully I'll get a clean one. :)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Sounds like it was meant to be! Did they say they'd clean it up for you or is it just as-is? They didn't say anything about mine being dirty so hopefully I'll get a clean one. :)

They said they would clean it up. Super nice guy. I'll know more in a few days :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot