Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Nostalgia"? (now with pics)

billyspew

One Too Many
jlagman said:
I just checked Hornet Hats but there isn't much info about the hat. What are its dimensions? I don't need a picture-perfect replication of Paul Newman's hat, but I'd really like to get a colour that's close. Otherwise, I'm looking for a hat with a tall crown, upwards of 5" and a nice wide ribbon.

The adventurer has a dimensional brim: 2 5/8" on the sides 3" on the front.
The crown is 5 1/2" open.

carldelo

One Too Many
Whoa

carter said:
I'm just answering a question and giving my opinion based on my experience. I'm sorry if that offends you. I had a Chatham and didn't think much of it. I'm glad you like yours.

Sorry Carter, I definitely was not offended by your remark, my post was obviously not clear. What I meant to say that as there seems to be an upswing in the quality of Stetson felts lately, particularly Sovereign, that there's a good chance the hat may be really nice. But as always, we'll have to wait until the first models are released and get reviewed on the FL by brave souls. Your opinion is certainly borne out by others on the lounge, and there are counterexamples as well. Clearly, it would be nice if the perceived recent quality improvement was permanent and reliable. Cheers, Carl

Dixon

New in Town
A Weather Report

Took the Nostalgia out in the rain yesterday for the first time. So far so good in regard to shrinkage. Things are drying well.

I'm hopeful!

Anyone else road (or should I say water) tested their hat in the rain yet?

D

carter

I'll Lock Up
2nd Conversion

Here's my caribou Stetson Nostalgia in it's original conversion to a bound edge and two-color ribbon.
3239981426_30c5d28bea.jpg
3239131387_1313d3114c.jpg

I wasn't crazy about the ribbon so here it is without the black. The hat has also been repounced.
3344529545_35e1f320ec.jpg
3344531317_4dede05a07.jpg

I think this is much better as the proportions of the hat are more balanced, the ribbon blends in with the rest of the hat, and we have eliminated the illusion of a shorter crown that was created by the two-color ribbon.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
I think this is much better as the proportions of the hat are more balanced, the ribbon blends in with the rest of the hat, and we have eliminated the illusion of a shorter crown that was created by the two-color ribbon.

Carter -- now we're talkin'! That ribbon looks completely organic to the hat as a whole, and accomplishes all that you've mentioned. Great transformation! :eusa_clap That's a swell lookin' lid. :)

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Much better now. The ribbon color appear to have a blue tint to it on my screen. Is that accurate? It looks really great, much improved:eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
The work on my Nostalgia was done byJimmy Pierce. He is located in Glen Rose, TX and is a vendor on the FL. He makes new hats as well as doing refurbishment and restorations. He has done many hats for me.

carter said:
The work on my Nostalgia was done byJimmy Pierce. He is located in Glen Rose, TX and is a vendor on the FL. He makes new hats as well as doing refurbishment and restorations. He has done many hats for me.
How do you get in contact with him? I left voice message, used contact me from website & sent a PM here = no replies to any. Sent the work elsewhere already...:( [huh]

Torpedo

One Too Many
Some mention was made here, a couple of months ago I think, about JP's communication problems. He made some reply about health and job issues IIRC.

Presently, at the COW, there is an ongoing thread about problems with JP again (or, possibly, those earlier problems were never solved?).

It seems there are difficulties.

Dixon

New in Town
Just puled this off JP Designs website:

"Do to the economy going the way it is, I have to find a full time job. I will be limiting my hat production to 150 this year, 3 per week. I will be keeping a list and when it is full, it is full."

Could be why the communication isn't what it used to be.

Hang in there Jimmy!

D

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:

I have to say it does look better than the two tone. I had thought the two tone would be good if each band was proportionally reduced but it might not have been any better. At any rate, I really like it as you finished it up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24