Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Re-enforced Edge

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Just picked up a 1930's Stetsonian with a 'Re-enforced Edge'. I have never seen one of these before -like the Cavanagh edge and other similar brims, the 're-enforced edge' is rounded (as opposed to a 'raw edge'), but it doesn't have the pronounced ridge along the top. The hat itself has a 'Royal Stetson' 1930's liner, and the sweatband has a gold 'The Stetsonian' stamp and a plain 'Re-enforced Edge' stamp and is sewn at the back. The sweat is reeded, but flush against the reed with no outer sign of stitching. First hat like this I've seen.

I was unable to publish hat pics the last time I visited the forum, so I'll try to add them tomorrow after re-studying instructions sent last month by forum members - I picked up four hats total, all very interesting and my size, so I have a lot of pics to take and will try to get it right the first time.

Meanwhile, does anyone else have pics of Stetson 're-enforced edge' hats? Looking at Brad's site, I found that the process was patented in 1932 and short-lived. I assume the more-Cavanagh-Edge-like Stetson processes replaced the re-enforced edge?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Not sure if these pics will take, but here is a link to my server and larger pics (yes, it is a store, but no, it cannot be purchased, and I have no hats for sale): http://www.belltownvintagecards.com/product-p/8010950001201.htm

8010950001201-2T.jpg
8010950001201-3T.jpg
8010950001201-4T.jpg
8010950001201-5T.jpg

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic! I think that's the first one to ever turn up here! What a rare bird.

Brad

Thanks for the info, Brad. After finding this little cache of 7 1/4 vintage hats, I think I have the collecting bug again.

In response to others: There are no readable tags beneath the sweat. The Stetsonian varied a lot in style, but was never a very expensive hat - this is the highest-quality one I've owned (and best condition). Also included in the group was a beat-up 1940's Stetsonian with no liner, very wide binding on the brim and a thick soft felt similar to Vita-Felt. If we started a 'Stetsonian' thread, you would see an amazing variety of styles. I have a spreadsheet somewhere that lists all Stetson styles, prices, etc., (that I could find) from the 1920's - 1950's. The Stetsonian was the toughest to pin down.

Last edited:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
For documentation, here's an ad from a 1934 New York paper: $10 Stetsonian with Re-enforced edge (larger pic on web-page in first link):

8010950001201-6T.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
I have seen Stetsonians that look like Whippets, that have a raw edge, that look like a homburg and some that are derbies. They used the name Stetsonian from the teens all the way at least into the 1960s because I've seen a few stingy brimmed modern Stetsons with that name on them, too.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Now that I think about it, Robert might have a Re-enforced Edge Stetson.

This ad is from Apparel Arts, Summer 1932.

The text reads:
The Stetson Re-enforced Edge

Patent 1848832, granted by the United States Patent Office to the John B. Stetson Company, confirms what every hatter has known for a year: the Stetson Re-enforced Edge is a revolutionary improvement in hat making. It gives to fine hats distinctive, lasting brim lines never known before. And it gives to dealers a definite sales advantage - something to talk about - something every customer can see and understand. Invented and perfected at the Stetson factory, the Re-enforced Edge commanded wide attention at its introduction and has been increasingly successful ever since. It is exclusive with Stetson. And it is the only brim edge in use today that is protected by United States patent!

The New Stetsons

Stetson representatives are now on the road with the finest line it has ever been our privilege to offer. New styles, new colors, new dies, new beauty of trim and finish. And another new feature - the Stetson Kettle Edge - of which, more later. So Stetson goes right on making better hats for men to wear - which means better hats for merchants to sell. John B. Stetson Co., Philadelphia, New York, London, Paris.

Brad

Summer1932HatAd2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo