Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson "Shady Oak"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Is there anything about the Shady Oak Stetson that distinguishes its look or make from a corresponding, non-Shady Oak version - aside from the liner and imprints on the sweat? I understand the historical import, I'm just curious as to any differences in the make of the hat.

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Is there anything about the Shady Oak Stetson that distinguishes its look or make from a corresponding, non-Shady Oak version - aside from the liner and imprints on the sweat? I understand the historical import, I'm just curious as to any differences in the make of the hat.

There really isn't anything distinguishable other than the liner and sweatband. I remember reading somewhere that the crown and brim size are slightly larger than an Open Road but I'm not sure. I totally forgot about this thread, Ill get around to pictures and measurements.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

Lefty -- all I have to go on is my own Shady Oak Open Road, since I have yet to see another one of these lids. That being said, my Shady Oak OR is just that -- an OR. Aside from the liner, it is an OR in every respect. What helps me in this comparison is that I also have another 7X Clear Beaver OR, so I really can do an apples to apples comparison.

CaddyKid21 said:
I remember reading somewhere that the crown and brim size are slightly larger than an Open Road but I'm not sure.

The quote you're thinking of may come from Peters Brothers' own website, where they discuss the Peters Brothers Shady Oaks hat:

THE ORIGINAL STYLE IS SIMILAR TO STETSON'S OPEN ROAD HAT BUT
THE SHADY OAKS IS JUST A LITTLE TALLER (1/8INCH) AND A LITTLE
WIDER (1/8 INCH) THE WAY FORT WORTH MILLIONAIRE AMON CARTER
LIKED HIS HATS.

At one point in time, I had mistakenly thought that this description might also apply to my Stetson Shady Oak OR, but it does not.

CaddyKid21 -- I hope you really do get around to posting some photos! It would be great to see another Stetson Shady Oak OR posted here.

Cheers,
JtL

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
Lefty -- all I have to go on is my own Shady Oak Open Road, since I have yet to see another one of these lids. That being said, my Shady Oak OR is just that -- an OR. Aside from the liner, it is an OR in every respect. What helps me in this comparison is that I also have another 7X Clear Beaver OR, so I really can do an apples to apples comparison.

The quote you're thinking of may come from Peters Brothers' own website, where they discuss the Peters Brothers Shady Oaks hat:

THE ORIGINAL STYLE IS SIMILAR TO STETSON'S OPEN ROAD HAT BUT
THE SHADY OAKS IS JUST A LITTLE TALLER (1/8INCH) AND A LITTLE
WIDER (1/8 INCH) THE WAY FORT WORTH MILLIONAIRE AMON CARTER
LIKED HIS HATS.

At one point in time, I had mistakenly thought that this description might also apply to my Stetson Shady Oak OR, but it does not.

CaddyKid21 -- I hope you really do get around to posting some photos! It would be great to see another Stetson Shady Oak OR posted here.

Cheers,
JtL
Gah! Its been while, Ive just ordered a new photo uploader for my camera(it uses a mini HD...) Just to warn you, its in pitiful condition. Going on a vacation to Optimo soon!

billysmom

One Too Many
Portrait

We were having lunch at the Fort Worth Club yesterday and I couldn't resist grabbing a shot of this portrait of Amon Carter:

Amon-Carter.jpg

Sue

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
I totally forgot about this thread, I'll have to get to posting some pictures of it tomorrow, I'm a bit late on this one huh?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are detail pictures of my new Shady Oak Stetson. I gave it a light steaming with a good brushing, and reshaped the horrible excuse for a cattleman's crease into one much more acceptable. The felt is soft and thin; very malleable and holds a dry crease fairly well but it really sticks with just a light amount of steam. I photographed the paper stickers under the sweatband but could not get a complete shot of the numbered one as the liner seems to be secured with tape, part of which adhered to the sticker and began to pull its face off when I tried to separate it from the tape.

ShadyOakRoyalScot002.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot003.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot005.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot006.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot007.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot008.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot009.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot011.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot012.jpg

ShadyOakRoyalScot013.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Paging Mr. P....

Wade -- A couple of questions for you. I take it that your Stetson Shady Oak does not say "Open Road" on it anywhere, true? Secondly, does the sweat also include an imprint for Washer Brothers?

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot