Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stetsonian

Wondering if my recent production Stetsonian would have any desired collectibility eighty plus years from now...?

Yours won't, but mine will. [emoji41]

I think they will be somewhat collectible, but less so than some others. I think those Excellent Strats - so few were produced and now they appear discontinued - will fetch a couple of bucks in the future.

But then, there are no guarantees on anything. I don't know how many pieces I've read in the past decade or so that claim the younger generations are less interested in collecting and keeping heirlooms and the like as we are. They don't see the point in having the family silver or grandma's rocking chair. So the bottom may one day fall out of the collectibles market. Who knows?

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
No hat made today will appreciate or even hold its value... not one ... not even a "limited edition" piece.
Those days are gone never to return .
Fine hats are made but none of them are investments unless like I stated earlier made by a highly respected hatter who's services are no longer available ... and even then the demand would be so small that you would have trouble getting what you paid.
Just the way it is now and has been for 40 + years .

It's like hoping my 2011 Camry or 2016 Gretsch appreciate in value.... not gonna happen

a $10 hat from the late 40s in good condition will cost you in the range of $200 to $300 or more on the auction market depending on a few things.
... there is no way a hat that costs $300 today appreciates to 30 times it's tagged value ... never happen ... not even 2 times it's tagged value... as a matter of fact there is a better chance it will be worth half what you paid or less 50 to 70 years from now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes items made of the poorest quality/cheapest materials become valuable & highly sought after in the distant future simply because the survival rate of the originals is quite low.

This holds true with the very hats we are talking about.
The highly coveted Whippet, Stratoliner, Playboy, Cross Country etc etc of the 30s, 40s early 50s ... were all low end low priced offerings of their day ... but they were made in a time where there was a demand for the product and a competitive market... that's why all the "clones" existed..... that is all pretty much nonexistent today.
Their quality ... even intended for the low price range when they were made... is a thousand times better than the best quality hat made today.
There is no demand for a quality product and all but zero competitive market so we are fed this ok merchandise and take it for what it is... and pretty much overpay for the majority of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bigger Don

Practically Family
a $10 hat from the late 40s in good condition will cost you in the range of $200 to $300 or more on the auction market depending on a few things.
Much of that change is due to inflation. Using this inflation calculator I found that you need a little over $100 in 2016 to equal $10 in 1950. That means a 1950 hat has appreciated, in real dollars, by a factor of 3.

Would a production hat of today, or a bespoke, ever appreciate? Dunno. Too many factors to consider. If the hipsters take over, every one may take to wearing hats again and in 30 years they may look at 2016 as a "golden era". Since production is obviously down since 1960, as compared to 1920-1950s, if more people are wearing hats and have an interest in something other that what is being produced in that modernity, demand may be even greater. That said, since there are no more golden era hats (our perspective) to be had, and those numbers shrink over the years, we could expect the prices of the 1920's-1950's hats to increase at a faster rate. It's all that supply/demand thing applied to collectibles, i.e. scarcity drives up price.

cmoy

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys for the replies! I've thought about it and I think I will continue wearing my Whippet but will add more vintage pieces so I rotate them. I do like the vintage over new. Like my watches, I prefer an original vintage piece over a homage or remake.

tommyK

One Too Many
I would echo a lot of Moon's comments here. cmoy, I believe you mentioned you're a size 7? If I were a size 7 I wouldn't spend a dime on modern hats. The world is your oyster. There is a bigger variety of quality vintage hats that await you than someone like me; a size 7 1/2 and at reasonable prices compared to say, a modern Optimo which is a foolish waste of money for anyone.

Be patient, be vigilant and you'll amass a nice collection of outstanding vintage hats to rotate and help extend the life of your prized Whippet.

If there is something you want that you just can't get then, maybe, you go to one of the fine custom makers showcased here.

cmoy

One of the Regulars
I would echo a lot of Moon's comments here. cmoy, I believe you mentioned you're a size 7? If I were a size 7 I wouldn't spend a dime on modern hats. The world is your oyster. There is a bigger variety of quality vintage hats that await you than someone like me; a size 7 1/2 and at reasonable prices compared to say, a modern Optimo which is a foolish waste of money for anyone.

Be patient, be vigilant and you'll amass a nice collection of outstanding vintage hats to rotate and help extend the life of your prized Whippet.

If there is something you want that you just can't get then, maybe, you go to one of the fine custom makers showcased here.

Thanks TommyK! I've seen a few nice 6 7/8's. I might give them a try if the price is right :)

tommyK

One Too Many
Thanks TommyK! I've seen a few nice 6 7/8's. I might give them a try if the price is right :)

If you can go down to a 6 7/8 even better. I envy you your vintage sized head! Even in my giant noggin size I've landed vintage that are, for all intents and purposes, a new hat. Good hunting!

cmoy

One of the Regulars
If you can go down to a 6 7/8 even better. I envy you your vintage sized head! Even in my giant noggin size I've landed vintage that are, for all intents and purposes, a new hat. Good hunting!

I use to be a 6 7/8. If I can find a cheap enough one I will give a try before spending more. Thanks again!

I use to be a 6 7/8. If I can find a cheap enough one I will give a try before spending more. Thanks again!
My wife is a 6 7/8 and I have picked up some beautiful vintage fedoras for her at pennies on the dollar. With my 7 3/8 noggin the prices usually climb way too high and I envy the price and selection available to her. Alas she is content with just 3 hats (I don't understand at all) so she is out of the market.
While it is risky with a vintage hat you might want to pick up a hat jack and if the 6 7/8 is a bit snug you may, with a bit of steam and lexol on the sweat band, be able to ease it out some.

cmoy

One of the Regulars
My wife is a 6 7/8 and I have picked up some beautiful vintage fedoras for her at pennies on the dollar. With my 7 3/8 noggin the prices usually climb way too high and I envy the price and selection available to her. Alas she is content with just 3 hats (I don't understand at all) so she is out of the market.
While it is risky with a vintage hat you might want to pick up a hat jack and if the 6 7/8 is a bit snug you may, with a bit of steam and lexol on the sweat band, be able to ease it out some.

Thanks belfastboy!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moontheloon my I ask what bash you have in your Stetsonian? I was thinking of getting one and want to put a diamond bash in it. Do you think a diamond bash would look good in a Stetsonian?
of course ... no surprise that's what I have in mine
IMG_6325.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto