Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Temple

EggHead

Practically Family
Thanks for a lot of responses. My original intent wasn't comparing open crown vs. pre-creased, but rather color and brim style of Temple vs. Fed IV (because someone mentioned Fed IV in earlier in the thread). I have seen and handled Temples in a local store and both Caribou and Mink colors are great (in person). Fed IV brim size/style is similar to Temple i.e. both dimensional, Temple 2 1/2 - 2/5/8, Fed IV 2 3/8 - 2 3/4.
I was trying to evaluate both hats by building a table of likes/dislikes of both hats and hence my initial question here.
So far likes: Temple (colors/contrasting ribbon, brim size, overall look), Fed IV (durability, rain resistance, better sweatband)
Dislikes: Temple ( sweatband is noticeably worse than my Akubras, hat is more rigid, people mention powder in coloring?), Fed IV (not sure if dark brown looks good with same color ribbon - really the only dislike, brim dimensions from Akubra are not necessarily accurate, for example LT supposed to be 2 3/4, but when I measure it - 2 7/8) - I prefer 2 5/8 max for a city hat.

fmw

One Too Many
Hi Fmw,

I think you might be mistaken; or misinterpreting the previous posts. Nobody in the last few posts was bagging on the Stetsons; just observing the availability of their open models when it comes to those who might like to style their own. You may be defending a cause in which there is no opposition. ;) I'd gather it's more from a knee-jerk reaction than the content of the last few posts when it comes to mention of the Stetson in certain circles. Let's most definitely see more Stetsons.

I was simply debating the person who recommends against Stetsons.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Pics you say?

13768_614897523388_11701808_36100884_2830423_n.jpg

8519_607293965978_11701808_35814447_444263_n.jpg

Temple in Mink.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Monbla, I'm not against recreasing hats. And I'm certainly not against people using what they own as they see fit. It just seems like a strange way to approach things. I understand that the OR has a following. I followed it myself. I like mine a lot and I normally wear it with the brim snapped down. But I wouldn't call it a fedora and I wouldn't change a thing on it.

I also understand the fashions of the 40's and 50's. I was born in the early 40's. But fashions have changed and, even though the fedora is a bit of an anachronism today, styles seem to dictate narrower brims and shorter crowns for it. We are talking about the 21st century are we not? ;)

BINGO !! :) We are not far apart, age wise,I'm from the late '40s, and can remember the '50s /'60s a bit better. And you are correct, it is the 21st century but some folks here tend to lump a lot of things into one pile so to speak. But that seems to be some of what we are all doing now days :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

Tone

A-List Customer
I was simply debating the person who recommends against Stetsons.

I can see how you might have gotten to that point. I never worried that the Stetsons would or wouldn't hold up, just wanted more options in what they had out there. (And some Stetson dealers are clearly listening!)

Hey, we should be happy that the FED IV has at least settled on specs that are closer to the Temple by now. ;) Though, the Stetson Temple's been consistently in the same specs all these years.

Nice pics, all. The more you see these Temples, the better they're looking.

Tone

A-List Customer
Oh, the "Leisure Time." Thanks.

These Stetson Temples look comfortably apt in city conditions, too, I'm seeing. Keep 'em coming, guys. It's a TEMPLE thread!

Last edited:

Tone

A-List Customer
Yes, the "Leisure Time"; an old Akubra from before the first attempt at the Federation. How does it compare to the Temple? Or just that it's a Leisure Time with more preferable brim specs between the two in comparison to a Temple?

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yes, the "Leisure Time"; an old Akubra from before the first attempt at the Federation. How does it compare to the Temple? Or just that it's a Leisure Time with more preferable brim specs between the two in comparison to a Temple?

The Liesure time is nowhere near the same hat as the Temple other than they both have a raw edged brim and share a similar center dent/front pinch creased crown. The LT has a 70mm/2.746" wide brim, much wider than the Temple I believe and is still in the current Akubra range. :)

EggHead

Practically Family
The Liesure time is nowhere near the same hat as the Temple other than they both have a raw edged brim and share a similar center dent/front pinch creased crown. The LT has a 70mm/2.746" wide brim, much wider than the Temple I believe and is still in the current Akubra range. :)

It's actually 73mm - I measured mine, and style is more outback then fedora (both front and rear of brim are down). I like it and wear it a lot, but looking for a shorter brim in my next hat.

fmw

One Too Many
You and I looking good in our DelMonico Stetson's. it is Caribou gray.

Jeff

I've bought two new Stetsons from Delmonico - The Open Road (like you're wearing in your avatar) and the Whippet (which I'm wearing in mine.) The are both excellent hats. I've bought two vintage fedoras - a Borsalino and an Akubra. They have nothing over the new Stetsons in my view.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Ok Egghead lets see if through all of this I can be some help. I own a Stetson Temple and a Akubra Federation III. To me the Temple is a more dress hat and more modern. The Federation that I have I love and wear quite a bit. My Temple I wear with a suit a lot too and at times just out and about. Part of that may be color. I don't own a lot of brown suites or dress cloths that is just me, so I don't think of Brown as a dress color. That is my preference. Now as to quality. I have been buying Stetsons since the late 70's. and I have not had the problems that others have reported about color running. I am real hard on my hats. I bought my First Akubra in 2005 form David Morgan and I love that hat too. I love all of the hats that I have bought. I like some that have been given me except my Fez I love my Fez. I am starting to ramble. If I were you I would look into the Nostalgia If I did not have the colors it comes in covered I would get one or a Whipppet in a second. If I could find a hat in what Stetson calls Buck I would be so happy.

Jeff
I

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
Jeff, you may want to check out the Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX. Great deals there. I just ordered a Whippet in Caribou to go along with my tawny Whippet (the hat in my avatar.) I gave her the model name, color and size. She said, yup we got it. $99. She took my shipping information and it's on its way today.

The Whippet is a teardrop crown model with a 2 3/8" brim. Not very similar to the Temple. I'm thinking the caribou is somewhat darker than silverbelly. At any rate, I should have it next week. That Hatco store must drive the dealers nuts. it would drive me nuts if I were one.

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
Jeff, you may want to check out the Hatco Outlet Store in Garland, TX. Great deals there. I just ordered a Whippet in Caribou to go along with my tawny Whippet (the hat in my avatar.) I gave her the model name, color and size. She said, yup we got it. $99. She took my shipping information and it's on its way today.

The Whippet is a teardrop crown model with a 2 3/8" brim. Not very similar to the Temple. I'm thinking the caribou is somewhat darker than silverbelly. At any rate, I should have it next week. That Hatco store must drive the dealers nuts. it would drive me nuts if I were one.
Good deal, and I like that store so far (just ordered my first from them yesterday, a Nostalgia). But for the Whippet, I'd try the St. Jo outlet first. Quoted me $75, but didn't have the size/color I wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points