Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Temple

BigSho said:
The temple is a good hat but I don't think many people realize that hats are NOT i repeat NOT supposed to be worn in the rain or snow.

Then what good is a hat without it being a piece of utilitarian wear? I wear mine in rain, snow, sun and everything else. If they don't stand up to that then they are not a hat they are an ornament like you put on a Christmas tree and not worth owning. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: I can then buy an umbrella and dispense with the hat :(
If you are going to pay what you do for a hat made by the hat factories to day then they darn well better be able to be worn in the rain.
Let's go through this after what I have mentioned and see if I get the logic. Does this pertain to modern hats only or all of them? If it applies to all of them then there is the little sticking point of this ad from the 20s:
Mallory10051907LD.jpg

to don't wear it in the rain today? When did they stop making hats that are actually supposed to be used in the weather? I don't see any warning labels in the hats that tell you not to wear them in the rain. In the modern Stetsons, they actually should because it is obvious they are useless for rain. The fact is that we have terms like Cravenetted and DuPont processes mentioned on the sweatband of many vintage hats. They were meant to be used in the rain and they were treated for it. They were literally guaranteed to hold up in the rain. :eusa_doh: The old "like water off a duck's back" was another one. So if you mean modern hats aren't meant to be worn in the rain then I can sort of see that but it means we have sunk to new lows in the factory hat business. Their business is then admittedly just hats for show and not utilitarian purposes like they used to be. What a shame. :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I agree. New hats are often taken for a "test walk" in wet weather before a review is written. If a hat can't be worn in wet weather, it probably won't do well even in sometimes humid climates. Most every hat that receives high marks on this board and the Indygear forum has wet weather response in it's commentary. The durability of color and shape after a downpour is one of the things that indicates a quality hat to many felt fiends.

Besides, weather protection is one the original reasons for headwear in the first place, and any hat that requires a plastic shield in the rain, well...
That's cover for your cover. Kinda defeats the purpose.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
When we sell hats to a customer , we never tell them to wear a hat in the rain . That Mallory ad was from 100 years ago when hats were manufactured differently . I can only imagine what would happen to a Bailey felt hat in the rain . It would shrink up like tissue paper !!

Steven
Bencraft Hats

besdor said:
When we sell hats to a customer , we never tell them to wear a hat in the rain . That Mallory ad was from 100 years ago when hats were manufactured differently . I can only imagine what would happen to a Bailey felt hat in the rain . It would shrink up like tissue paper !!

Hmmm... Scratching Bailey off my list of hats to buy. Thanks for letting me know.
I can produce ads from as late as the 1960s that tout the same weather resistance. So you are saying we have fallen that far in hat technology with all our abilites to produce all things high tech? We can't produce a modern hat since the 1960s with rain repellant? I don't believe that because my customs from Art hold up to the rain quite well. You mean he could teach the whole of Hatco and Bailey how to make a modern hat!? (Actually, I can believe it.) I think they know but perhaps they just don't want to make a hat that will last fifty years or even ten. [huh]
Here is just one example bringing it up a few years:
mallory41meriddunes1.jpg

If it can't take rain it ain't a hat as far as I am concerned. "They'll take---- a ducking."

Regards to all,

J

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
Perhaps, but plenty of pure felt hats have excellent rain resistance and recovery without water repelling chemicals.

Rain resistant hats are not a thing of the past.

Lancealot said:
Didn't I read on here some chemicals that they used to use to make hats have been banned. I wonder if the ability to resist weather has anything to do with the banning of said chemicals?

Nah, they can use substitutes they have today just as easily as they did back then. The stuff they use today is not only less toxic but it supposedly works better. That is what they say anyway. You will see water repellent stuff all over hat sites today. I guess they really need them now. [huh]

Regards,

J

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
My Federation has been in a couple of pretty heavy rainstorms, and has come out looking unchanged. If Akubra can do it, I'd imagine that Stetson could do it - but, apparently, they don't.

One Too Many
I think what if you get a hat to rain it, the best buy, will be a umbrella, or a raincoat, Stetson, Borsalino, Dobbs and other fine brands are to be well suited, they are not commendable to ride on a storm.

Crazy Legs

Familiar Face
IMG_0513.jpg

If you guys are going keep on "knockin'" Stetson's then I'm going to ask you to put up your Dukes. I like mine very much and it is 3 or 4 years old. I have not worn it in a downpour but the everyday stuff proves to me that it is worthy of being given it due respect. I admit though that the material in Art's hats are thicker and therefore stronger and maybe better in bad weather.

EggHead

Practically Family
I was just in a store looking at Steson Temples in mink. I really like the color, both mink and caribu, and I like it's shape and brim proportions. But I also need a hat that can hold up in fog, drizzle and rain (I don't like to use an umbrella). So after reading some experiences here, looks like this hat is out of my list. Can anyone suggest a very similar alternative? BTW, I have 2 Akubras (Sydney, Leisure Time), but they don't have that look and color of the Temple that I like. Do Fed IV's really look similar?

Tone

A-List Customer
I was just in a store looking at Steson Temples in mink. I really like the color, both mink and caribu, and I like it's shape and brim proportions. But I also need a hat that can hold up in fog, drizzle and rain (I don't like to use an umbrella). So after reading some experiences here, looks like this hat is out of my list. Can anyone suggest a very similar alternative? BTW, I have 2 Akubras (Sydney, Leisure Time), but they don't have that look and color of the Temple that I like. Do Fed IV's really look similar?

The Stetson Temple is a pre-creased hat that looks pretty much like many other pre-creased hats, so you're basically stuck with what's in the crown from the factory. Not really the best comparison to the FED IV's open crown; however, the better comparison might be between an Akubra Fed IV and a Stetson Nostalgia. You get a fair shake at putting your own crease into either, equally.

Colorwise, no. So far, Akubra has no matches for most, if not all, of Stetson shades. The Nostalgia and Fed IV end up in the same crease a LOT of the time, I've noticed. One of those, maybe?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I have a Stetson Temple, and no Akubras at this point. I like my Temple fine. It's a very soft hat, so I don't think that you're really stuck with the factory crease at all. I like the crease fine, it's a pretty basic fedora crease. I'm planning on getting a Gray one also, I think that they call that Caribou. I brushed a bunch of the dust stuff out of the hat when I bought it, it's been in a little snow, but no rain yet. We haven't had any.

Later

Tone

A-List Customer
Hi

I have a Stetson Temple, and no Akubras at this point. I like my Temple fine. It's a very soft hat, so I don't think that you're really stuck with the factory crease at all. I like the crease fine, it's a pretty basic fedora crease. I'm planning on getting a Gray one also, I think that they call that Caribou. I brushed a bunch of the dust stuff out of the hat when I bought it, it's been in a little snow, but no rain yet. We haven't had any.

Later

The Stetson Temple is set with taper. Changing the crease on a Temple won't fix that. The question was how close do the Fed IV and Stetson Temple look to each other. In short, nothing alike; and a recrease on the Temple won't change that. The Nostalgia isn't "set" in that tapered look. That's all. Yeah, if someone prefers that look in their hat, the color fact is the same. :)

Where are everyone's Stetson Temple pics in this thread anyway?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR