Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve McQueen "Cooler King" sweatshirt look in The Great Escape

kools

Practically Family
I need to put things right. My post from a couple of years ago questioned the quality of the Old Navy sweatshirts. I bought 3 of them at $12 each. One of them pilled up quite a bit, the other two still look like new & get a lot of use for casual wear here in the frozen tundra. They turned out to be quite a bargain.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Picked up 4 of the Old Navy Sweatshirts...

after Scotrace's suggestion. 2 Blue and 2 Gray- still going strong. Wear them with khakis and a leather jacket and you're set, but haven't broken the bank...

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The King Of Cool: Great Escape Sweat

Need your input chaps, Looking for a sweatshirt that I can convert (or rather local seamstress can..chop sleeves @ elbow) into a McQueen Great escape look-a-like without too much expense. Any thoughts? Any brand spring to mind? Am considering a 100% cotton Hanes. Doesn't have to end up a complete replica..just similar. Already own a: The KingOfCool.com version, whilst ok the XXL is all they had available (fine for slouching but too big & relaxed for wear under an A2).

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The shape of Pike Bro's P.T. sweater slightly different from the modern standard, though I really like it. Am I right to think that it should hit just over the belt-line and stop there?

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Thee best loopwheel crew neck available IMO is by Strike Gold. Runner up: Buzz Rickson.

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
Sloan,
I like mine to sit just below the belt line! same with t shirts but most seem to have got longer over the years. I suppose it may be something to do with lower rise jeans and trousers.

D

bn1966

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen, I have a Pike Bros Sweat (Grey Marl) but am loathe to have the sleeves chopped. Champion Sweat was a good idea, here in the UK (having done a quick search) the sizing doesn't cater for the fuller figure (46 chest) in the "heritage fit". The solution may be a halfway house...purchase a Pike sweat in Navy & just roll up the sleeves. Yes I have noticed too how sweats appear to be getting longer, the Pike sits slightly lower than I would like but as an XXL is probably intended for someone taller than my 5.10. The Strike Gold sweats suggested looks fantastic..outside of my price range @ $205 plus import tax (just paid tax on a jacket from the USA this morning).

bn1966

Have just found & tried on some "Fruits of the Loom" sweats that are fairly slim fit, sit just below the belt & a good shade of blue. Should cut @ the elbows nicely too & £9.00 a piece.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
The pike Bros BLACK sweat is great: thick, short, big cuffs/waist and sturdy neck - boxy and fits me fine (American Classics). The grey marl is different:nice , but lighter and longer (Aero Leather)- you need to try then on to see difference. Looking at the blue in American Classics last week it seems closer to the black, BTW. Best fit for me is the BR . First tried on the black in Burg & Schild and then picked up a blue from American classics - both same great fit .
I picked up some Champions cheap from Urban Outfitters used rail before someone there had the "bright" idea of sticking a letter on a perfectly good worn_in sweat . Why!. These old Champions come up nice and short and boxy on me. I was gonna ask my GLW (Good Lady Wife...) to cut sleeves off just on the elbow and seal the edging with a hidden bit of zig-zag stiching. But we agreed it wasnt gonna quite work (deliberately not gonna use a replica colour sweat, too hero_worship) . Anyway picked up a short sleeved light blue Dockers (yes) short sleeved sweat in American Classics to meet need to wear sweat in warmer weather.

bn1966

UNI QLO, a revelation (got a good tip), Oxford St London, appear to be a Japanese clothing company that use Chinese factories. For £20.00 they are producing cotton sweats in the 40's style in Grey Marl, Navy Blue & Black. Have purchased the Marl & Navy...will see how they wear.

Take a look @ the Gap`s light blue sweatshirt, that`s a good one. Just my lousey 2 cents, I`m not as savy on this stuff like some of you folks, I have been wearing cut off sweats since high school and that goes back to 1966.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner