Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

still wearing fur felt in late June

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I know we are supposed to all be wearing panamas by now, but here in the bay area of CA we are still having cool foggy mornings and even some afternoons, not to mention evenings. I love still being able to wear my fedoras at this time of year!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Yeah yeah I'm still wearing fur felt.

My 1940s' Stetson Panama just got retired from drying out and too many cracks for me to want to wear it with a suit.

Who... who should I go to for an alternative for a low price very soft high crowned Panama as a replacement?

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I may have to relent before the summer is over but yesterday was 99F with a fair bit of humidity (and horrible air quality--ozone troubles) and I wore my Borsalino Alessandria. It actually gets pretty steamy/sticky if I'm outside for more than a few minutes at a stretch but OTOH I don't spend much time outside in that kind of weather anyway.

My travel/summer hat is a Borsalino Astuccio which is ultra-lightweight fur felt with a grosgrain sweat. I have no problem at all wearing it on a mid-90's day and it's also comfy during cooler but extremely humid periods. I think that's as far as I'll need to go to be in reasonable comfort during South Carolina summers. But once again, I don't spend hours at a stretch exposed to the heat (unless I'm playing golf and I don't wear a fedora then anyway).

No offense to Panama-lovers but there's no such rule in my book as "supposed to" wear a straw hat during certain months. I don't like the way they look on me and wouldn't care to spend what it costs for a really excellent one given that they are a delicate and somewhat specialized item. Other tastes differ, of course.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This morning

We have very cool temp's and gray skies, windy. Micro Climates are well known in the SF Bay Area! Start out with your felt hat, then you have to switch to the Panama, and by afternoon, we are grabbing the felt again!

A couple weeks ago it was strictly shorts, summer shirt, and the Panama.

Global warming is sure ....brrrrrrrr.....down right cold!

Then, Sunday is supposed to be 95 degrees!

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
Yeah yeah I'm still wearing fur felt.

My 1940s' Stetson Panama just got retired from drying out and too many cracks for me to want to wear it with a suit.

Who... who should I go to for an alternative for a low price very soft high crowned Panama as a replacement?

Good luck on that one, if you find something please let me know. I've been looking and the only thing I found was the Panama Barossa at David Morgan. I've got PanamaBob checking with the weavers to see what a 5.25" crown will cost.

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
I have yet to own a hat made out of anything other than felt. Even in 100+ weather I still wear either a fur felt hat or a wool newsboy. A choice, yes but that is me.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Lloyd said:
Good luck on that one, if you find something please let me know. I've been looking and the only thing I found was the Panama Barossa at David Morgan. I've got PanamaBob checking with the weavers to see what a 5.25" crown will cost.

I think Art offered a tall crown panama a few years ago. I don't know if he does now. Do you Art?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I go back and forth between my panama and my fedora depending on the weather forecast. I have had enough of an experience with straw in the rain that I do not want that to happen again.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Speaking as another resident of the Deep South, I wear felt every day of the year. I just prefer it. I don't find a straw any more comfortable. That's probably because of the extreme humidity. The air is so full of moisture that condensation occurs immediately upon walking outdoors. I think straw would be a huge advantage in a dry heat climate.

Arkie773/4

New in Town
Blackthorn said:
I know we are supposed to all be wearing panamas by now, but here in the bay area of CA we are still having cool foggy mornings and even some afternoons, not to mention evenings. I love still being able to wear my fedoras at this time of year!

I'll be attending an outdoor wedding in Occidental the first weekend in Aug. then spending a week in SF. I was planning an traveling with my straw hat, now you have me questioning that. I am pretty sure it will get very warm up in Occidental.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Arkie773/4 said:
I'll be attending an outdoor wedding in Occidental the first weekend in Aug. then spending a week in SF. I was planning an traveling with my straw hat, now you have me questioning that. I am pretty sure it will get very warm up in Occidental.
I think that's right, it may get warm up there in Aug, but you just never know. For the SF part, remember what Mark Twain said: the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Arkie773/4

New in Town
I was actually in SF last summer too and I know first hand it gets pretty damn cool. Coming from the oppressive Arkansas heat makes it seem all the more drastic. Well I don't really want to travel with 2 hats. Maybe I'll buy one while I am there. Y'all got any hatters out there?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Arkie773/4 said:
I was actually in SF last summer too and I know first hand it gets pretty damn cool. Coming from the oppressive Arkansas heat makes it seem all the more drastic. Well I don't really want to travel with 2 hats. Maybe I'll buy one while I am there. Y'all got any hatters out there?
Yep, try Paul's Hats on Geary Blvd. There may be more, but that's the one I used to repair the fedora in my avatar (a 1930s Dobbs).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There was even a hint of drizzle in the air today, so my black Penman came out with me.

As Mark Twain said, "the coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco."

Pompidou

One Too Many
I don't yet own a panama, and the only people who'd know I should be wearing one are you folks, so I just wear my whippet or porkpie.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
jlee562 said:
There was even a hint of drizzle in the air today, so my black Penman came out with me.

As Mark Twain said, "the coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco."
There's an echo in here. :p lol

donnc

One of the Regulars
Of course it hasn't been all that sweltering hot here in the Pacific Northwest either, but as one who has renounced hair, on a cool day any hat is warmer than no hat at all. A panama wouldn't be my choice on a cold, windy day in the true winter, but in recent "June-uary" weather it has worked out all right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21